Unit of the Week: Primaris Marines

Acebaur

One thing that Asartes specifically don't have is a big ol' plastic Super Heavy to call our own - which is really odd considering our popularity!

Chaos have the Lord of Skulls, Guard have the Baneblade Chassis, Eldar the Wraith Knight, Orks the Stompa and T'au the Stormsurge.

Sure, there are Knights, but they are really their own entity (though VERY similar to marines in appearance).

I personally think the Overlord as a plastic kit and a big one at that - there has been a humble buzz about GW's "biggest ever plastic kit" for a long time now and this could be it.

Making it a SH Strike Craft totally personifies the Astartes way of war too!

=============================

On topic though, I think the Repulsor is the key to Primaris marines, as well as the few extra options they are going to get in the Codex.

A small army for sure, but all with 2W and negative modifiers to their shooting is great.

I don't know why GW doesn't make plastic Spartan-chassis tanks, or even Sicarans. They'd be popular and make tons of money. It only makes sense that they're holding out so they can give one to Primaris, because they've already made their Imperial Knights sales and those aren't really a Marine unit.

Edited by Tyberos the Red Wake

I really hope the Codex will change some point costs around. I still don't feel great incentive to play full Primaris.
Inceptors are cool, but dual heavy bolters and the fly keyword is not worth it to me. I can bring two three man bike squads with plasma pistol and power sword on the sgt and plasmagun on a biker for the price of the Inceptors, and the bikes are the same platform with more firepower. Intercessors sound like they get improvements in the codex, being able to hold ground while outnumbered, and gaining transport from the Repulsor. I'm thinking bikes over Inceptors, a mix of Scouts and Intercessors, the Redemptor and Aggressors. I hope the Aggressors are heavy support, because the Elites section is jam packed already.

Elites for just primaris
Primaris Ancient
Reivers
Redemptor(probably)
Apothecary

It really makes me want to run dual vanguards if the aggressors end up in there.

Edited by HCMistborn

According to Ishagu, the Dakka Dread is 200 points, and the Plasma Dread is around 230 points.

How much do you think the Aggressors will be? The Boltstorm Gauntlet on the Captain is 25 points, and the upgrade to Gravis on the captain looks like it is about 25-30 points. So maybe, 45-50 points per model, plus 50 points for the gauntlets, plus the cost of the missile launchers? Looking at missile, bolter cents? Like 300 or so?

One thing that Asartes specifically don't have is a big ol' plastic Super Heavy to call our own - which is really odd considering our popularity!

Chaos have the Lord of Skulls, Guard have the Baneblade Chassis, Eldar the Wraith Knight, Orks the Stompa and T'au the Stormsurge.

Sure, there are Knights, but they are really their own entity (though VERY similar to marines in appearance).

I personally think the Overlord as a plastic kit and a big one at that - there has been a humble buzz about GW's "biggest ever plastic kit" for a long time now and this could be it.

Making it a SH Strike Craft totally personifies the Astartes way of war too!

=============================

On topic though, I think the Repulsor is the key to Primaris marines, as well as the few extra options they are going to get in the Codex.

A small army for sure, but all with 2W and negative modifiers to their shooting is great.

I don't know why GW doesn't make plastic Spartan-chassis tanks, or even Sicarans. They'd be popular and make tons of money. It only makes sense that they're holding out so they can give one to Primaris, because they've already made their Imperial Knights sales and those aren't really a Marine unit.

We have plastic MkIV tac boxes now and unique rules for the different models of terminator armor in plastic. I still hope anything can happen and we get plastic Spartans somehow.

The Intercessor Squads look a lot more interesting with the new codex. They can be up to 10 Astartes now and exchange their Bolt Rifles for Sniper Bolt Rifles with less shots but more ap or the Auto Bolt Rifles wich are rapid fire 2 but have no ap. 10 Guys with Auto Bolt Rifles and especially the Ultramarines and Imperial Fists Strategems can unleash a devastating storm of bolterfire.

The Bolt Carbines of the new Stalker are great aswell. Wish regular Tactical Squads could wield this new Bolt Carbines

Plus power sword on the Sgt. I did some number crunching today, and I'm pretty happy. The Aggressors are a nice support for Reivers, basically the Anvil to the Reivers hammer. You smash the enemy from behind with the Reivers, and they crash against the heavy, short range firepower of the Aggressors. The Intercessors are great looking at 10 man, just wish we could mix and match bolt rifle variations, so I could bring a few stalkers and the rest bolt rifles. I plan to bring three 10 man squads in my list. I think 20Ws with a librarian casting might of heroes and the iron hands CTs will really help. I mean T5 W2 3+ Save with FNP 6+ is mean. I really wish I had points to bring a second libby in my planned list. The reivers are what I needed though, because I can skip the Repulsor on my intercessors by using them in place of deep field intercessors. Dropping in 2 squads of Reivers while I march up three Redemptors, Aggressors, and Intercessors holding back field objectives. It looks good for Primaris.

Do you guys think Auto Bolt Rifles are worth it for Intercessors? Them seem to cost 1p each to upgrade change from 30" ap -1 rapid fire 1 to 24 ap-0 assault 2. shure more mobility and between 24" and 15" a higher volume of fire but is it worth the 1 point?

Do you guys think Auto Bolt Rifles are worth it for Intercessors? Them seem to cost 1p each to upgrade change from 30" ap -1 rapid fire 1 to 24 ap-0 assault 2. shure more mobility and between 24" and 15" a higher volume of fire but is it worth the 1 point?

I wouldn't do it unless you are making a melee themed army.

I'm just disappointed that the Auto Bolt Rifle and the Bolter Carbine are essentially Storm Bolters. It only adds to the confusion GW. I thought there was gonna be some variation on that.

Auto bolt rifles are assault 2, storm bolsters are rapid fire 2, no? (I don't know what the carbine is)

I'm not really sure what direction to take my primaris. I think running them at mid range is a good idea. I wish Inceptors were cheaper points wise. I think the Inceptors would work well in a mixed list to be run alongside assault squads and vanguard veterans. I still think Iron Hands CTs and Might of Heroes are important to make your fewer bodies tougher. I know it's only on a 6+ but still. I also want to find room for Apothecaries. I can see using Raven Guard CTs, and Apothecaries to bring boys back. I'm currently considering either a Battalion using IH or two Vanguards using RG or Sallies. Really changes how I plan to build. Edited by HCMistborn

From a battlereport i watched (Miniwargaming maybe? Maybe one of the other big ones) it was mentioned that Inceptor costs were tweaked downwards a bit in the Codex.

No further info than that though. They sure need a bit of a drop.

Yeah, Winter said they dropped by 15 points, he didn't say if the whole unit dropped 15 or PPM did, hopefully PPM.

So the repulsor is a LR that is harder to charge, aka harder to PF/TH. Has anyone played with LRs thus edition, are they really more survivable?

Edited by HCMistborn

Yes, they really are. They can still die in 1 turn at times of course, but generally they require a serious investment to put down.

On average for example it takes 20 BS4+ lascannon shots to kill one (10 hits, 7 wounds, 5 unsaved wounds, doing 3.5 each) . Not insurmountable by any means, but a lot harder than before. 

Anything doing less damage than a Lascannon will take a LONG time, and that definitely includes powerfists. 

Edited by Extropian

Yep. i think they are going to be very good personally. I mean, being the only transport for Primaris means they'll have a niche regardless, but they actually look effective too. 

Though i'm still not happy with Stubbers. Stubbers on a Marine vehicle?! HERESY.

What do you think is going to be more useful in a Primaris army, Intercessors or Reivers?

They cost very close to the same, but the differences that I can see are:

Reivers: 2ppm deployment, bolt carbines(24in range?), same stats, gain the anti-overwatch

Intercessors: Need Transport, 30in range, same stats, gain ObSec, power sword on Sgt.

I plan to balance, my current list has three 5 man Reiver squads and one 10 man Reiver, with three 5x man Intercessors. I think I only want one 3x man squad of the Aggressors, since they are support best used with Reivers.

Both are good for sure with the new options. Like you've outlined above it depends what you need.

I'm totally loving the idea of Stalker Bolter Intecessors, providing that 30" cover fire all game while holding backfield objectives.

If you aren't using them for that role however, I'd say take Reivers every time. They have similar shooting (either same AP or same number of shots) plus the forward deployment and extra combat attacks if you take the blade. The grenades are also crazy good if you have some dedicated CC units, but will obviously take a turn to set up as you can't get close enough to throw them on the Grav drop.