Primarch Book 6 - Fulgrim

From a majority of your comments I don't believe you "love" any of the books that come from BL, lol

OK, dude. I'm going to say it. You are becoming the person that you are calling out. You've developed a tendency to do nothing with your posting but to be negative and shame other users for their opinions. 

HeritorA has been making a real effort to keep in mind other user's perspectives. It's been a lot of work on his part to engage with what is primarily a "western" community, especially as an ESL forumite. Sure, sometimes negative criticism feels abrasive, but it can be constructive, too. If his posting offends you that much, you can always use the block function instead of attempting to silence other users.

He wouldn't even be here if he didn't actually really love a lot of this stuff, and I assume it's the same with yourself.

From a majority of your comments I don't believe you "love" any of the books that come from BL, lol

OK, dude. I'm going to say it. You are becoming the person that you are calling out. You've developed a tendency to do nothing with your posting but to be negative and shame other users for their opinions. 

HeritorA has been making a real effort to keep in mind other user's perspectives. It's been a lot of work on his part to engage with what is primarily a "western" community, especially as an ESL forumite. Sure, sometimes negative criticism feels abrasive, but it can be constructive, too. If his posting offends you that much, you can always use the block function instead of attempting to silence other users.

He wouldn't even be here if he didn't actually really love a lot of this stuff, and I assume it's the same with yourself.

Normally i'd agree, but HeritorA started this conversation off on really bad footing, being extremely negative just because a story in the HH doesn't fit the usual grandscale battles and assuming people want that, as a massive EC fan I certainly didn't mind.

I pondered giving a reply with equal amounts of snark if anything.

Normally i'd agree, but HeritorA started this conversation off on really bad footing, being extremely negative just because a story in the HH doesn't fit the usual grandscale battles and assuming people want that, as a massive EC fan I certainly didn't mind.

I pondered giving a reply with equal amounts of snark if anything.

Fair enough. HeritorA's post certainly annoyed me, too, but it was also already replied to, and that response replied to in turn, so I thought enough was enough.

Also keep in mind that I'm responding more to a posting trend than that specific comment. Although I'm already pretty sure I was too harsh.

Anyway, I'm derailing the crap out of things so I'll do what I can to get back on topic.

I'm super excited for this book. Primogenitor was a lot of fun, and I'm curious to see who Fulgrim's mob squad end up being. If this book is supposed to be "quintessentially Fulgrim," it should be great to see his incredible talent and skill at play, tempered by his towering arrogance. I kind of doubt most of his 7 best will live through this one, guys. And is this supposed to be right after he joins his Legion? If so, it's worth keeping in mind that when he did join them the whole Legion numbered some 200 Space Marines due to their genetic blight, so it's not like he had many to work with.

And the limited edition being purple foil now instead of gold is perfect.

Edited by LetsYouDown

I was under the impression that it would be after they started operating independently. Which would allow for Marius, Julius et al to gain some more depth, but it'd be a shame not to see Fulgrim's younger and more vulnerable years (I'm sure he read The Great Gatsby for opulence inspiration) under Horus' tutelage.

As far as characters go, I'd like to see some of the characters mentioned in Betrayal, and a competent pre-Heresy Eidolon couldn't hurt.

I was under the impression that it would be after they started operating independently. Which would allow for Marius, Julius et al to gain some more depth, but it'd be a shame not to see Fulgrim's younger and more vulnerable years (I'm sure he read The Great Gatsby for opulence inspiration) under Horus' tutelage.

As far as characters go, I'd like to see some of the characters mentioned in Betrayal, and a competent pre-Heresy Eidolon couldn't hurt.

Welp. https://twitter.com/JMReynolds/status/884485373166063618

In that case, I expect the badass super-swordsman Akurduana to pop up. He's listed as (before his death) being the greatest swordsman among all the Legions, usually fighting with a pair of twin-charnabral sabres. I reckon that fits the description of '7 of his finest warriors.' :tongue.:

Seeing as 6 of the 7 have only appeared in Betrayal, I hope the big cheese is Eidolon, and not Lucius (although it could be Vespasian or someone like that admittedly). After Path of Heaven, I want to see more of him.

Edited by Marshal Loss

EDIT:

Never mind, I must have seen the cover for something else. Now I'm really scratching my head.

Move along.

Hidden Content

I love the cover art.

Slicing people to ribbons then stopping to admire a flower is brilliant. It is the line between:

Samurai-style "Alrhough necessary, I caused death to occur,. I offset the death by stopping to appreciate life in all it's forms."

...and...

Ancient-Roman gluttonous <yawn> "I'm so bored with murder. Ooh look...something more worthy of my attention."

Fulgrim's place between the two is what makes him a great character. I hope this book gets into that without going overboard.

Edited by Indefragable

In that case, I expect the badass super-swordsman Akurduana to pop up. He's listed as (before his death) being the greatest swordsman among all the Legions, usually fighting with a pair of twin-charnabral sabres. I reckon that fits the description of '7 of his finest warriors.' :tongue.:

Seeing as 6 of the 7 have only appeared in Betrayal, I hope the big cheese is Eidolon, and not Lucius (although it could be Vespasian or someone like that admittedly). After Path of Heaven, I want to see more of him.

Yeah, two of the 6 from Betrayal almost have to be Akurduana and the other great swordsman it mentions; Irmandus.

Solid bet that another two are Lord Commanders Eidolon and Iddinam, and then probably Decanus Grythan Thorn who is noted to have been equerry to Fulgrim at some point. Good odds Fabius could be in there. Or, I guess it could be Rylanor, actually?

I do love BL stuff - in other case I wouldn't have been discussing stuff. Just afraid that BL will go smaller with time and would become a publisher of rainbow novels for the teens. GK/HH/W40K are an Apocalyptic scale events, not the roadshows and Indiana Jones adventures.

Anyway - I love Joshua novels, after awesome Fabius I can forgive almost everything.

Sweet, I love the authors expanding on stuff from the FW books. I think that gives us the following as possibles:

Iddinam (Lord Commander)

Abdemon (Lieutenant Commander)

Abisare (Praetor)

Flavius Alkenex (Prefector)

Azael Konenos (Centurion)

Fhavre (Tribune)

Ancient Sarancos (Dreadnought, eventually anyway)

Grythan Thorn (Decanus)

Raths Luastus (Decurio)

Abdle Comendius (Apothecary)

Akurduana

Irmandus

Sweet, I love the authors expanding on stuff from the FW books. I think that gives us the following as possibles:

Iddinam (Lord Commander)

Abdemon (Lieutenant Commander)

Abisare (Praetor)

Flavius Alkenex (Prefector)

Azael Konenos (Centurion)

Fhavre (Tribune)

Ancient Sarancos (Dreadnought, eventually anyway)

Grythan Thorn (Decanus)

Raths Luastus (Decurio)

Abdle Comendius (Apothecary)

Akurduana

Irmandus

Grythan Thorn (Decanus) and Flavius Alkenex (Prefector) I would love to see for sure.

As for the the Abisare (Praetor); Azael Konenos (Centurion) you know that they are

dead? You haven't read latest HH novels like Path of Heaven?

Grythan Thorn (Decanus) and Flavius Alkenex (Prefector) I would love to see for sure.

As for the the Abisare (Praetor); Azael Konenos (Centurion) you know that they are

Well....

At this point, during this Fulgrim novel, they're still alive ;) If Fulgrim handpicks Eidolon for this, maybe Konenos comes along as well as Eidolon's star line commander. It's going to be a long, hard wait until October for this one!

I actually thoroughly enjoyed Kymes 3rd, and thought in parts they were stronger then their Path of Heaven counterparts.

Edit: Come to think of it, while I love the original 3rd Legion books, I think the weakest portrayal is actually Graham Mccneils, but it's also the earliest.

Edited by Loesh

https://twitter.com/JMReynolds/status/888131120751144960

:biggrin.:  Wrap it up boys, we've hit a dead end.

That said, the "disassembly of a semi-functioning aristocracy, without the use of overt force" via a seven samurai scenario is something I am extremely down with. It offers clear potential to show the skillful and maybe even diplomatic Fulgrim who has only really been hinted at before.

Well....

At this point, during this Fulgrim novel, they're still alive :wink: If Fulgrim handpicks Eidolon for this, maybe Konenos comes along as well as Eidolon's star line commander. It's going to be a long, hard wait until October for this one!

True and true.

Was Akurduana the best duelist in the IIIrd or out of all legions?

EDIT: Also, what a massive difference in quality between Wraight's IIIrd and Kyme 's eh...

Yeap - he was.

Do not even compare Wraight and Kyme, lol :yes:

I actually thoroughly enjoyed Kymes 3rd, and thought in parts they were stronger then their Path of Heaven counterparts.

Edit: Come to think of it, while I love the original 3rd Legion books, I think the weakest portrayal is actually Graham Mccneils, but it's also the earliest.

Don't get me wrong... But to even compare Kymes 3rd  with the 'Path of Heaven' 3rd is beyond ridiculous.

Kyme 'depiction' is so far from the masterpiece of Wraight, as Sun from earth.

Don't get me wrong... But to even compare Kymes 3rd  with the 'Path of Heaven' 3rd is beyond ridiculous.

I enjoyed Path of Heavens 3rd, in particular Cairo and Eidolon, but ultimately the book isn't about them and it really shows. Chrirugeon does Bile fantasitcally, showing that internal conflict over what he was, what was happening to the Legion, and the hesitation to where they go which is then filled out in Primogenitor, in fact if I had to guess I would think Reynolds might of consulted with Kyme on that book. Likewise I also thoroughly enjoyed Perfection which shined a light on their more corrupted future while wrapping it in an interesting murder mystery. Wright wasn't bad, wasn't even average, i'd say it was good...but ultimately he just can't beat Kymes more condensed and focused short stories.

Which isn't surprising, despite all the Kyme hate I feel he only flounders occasionally in his novels, his short stories are wonderfully done.

I enjoyed Path of Heavens 3rd, in particular Cairo and Eidolon, but ultimately the book isn't about them and it really shows. Chrirugeon does Bile fantasitcally, showing that internal conflict over what he was, what was happening to the Legion, and the hesitation to where they go which is then filled out in Primogenitor, in fact if I had to guess I would think Reynolds might of consulted with Kyme on that book. Likewise I also thoroughly enjoyed Perfection which shined a light on their more corrupted future while wrapping it in an interesting murder mystery. Wright wasn't bad, wasn't even average, i'd say it was good...but ultimately he just can't beat Kymes more condensed and focused short stories.

Which isn't surprising, despite all the Kyme hate I feel he only flounders occasionally in his novels, his short stories are wonderfully done.

1) Kyme shorts are miles better than novels - totally agree.

2) Chirurgeon and Perfection was nicely done indeed.

3) But, even through Cario, Konenos, Eidolon, Varda etc. were not the 'main' characters in 'Path of Heaven' - they were truly 'ALIVE'. In Kyme's Chirurgeon and Perfection which are directly about 3rd - only 2 protagonists had the same level of 'life' in them.