Primarch Book 6 - Fulgrim

https://twitter.com/JMReynolds/status/888131120751144960

:biggrin.: Wrap it up boys, we've hit a dead end.

That said, the "disassembly of a semi-functioning aristocracy, without the use of overt force" via a seven samurai scenario is something I am extremely down with. It offers clear potential to show the skillful and maybe even diplomatic Fulgrim who has only really been hinted at before.

Now I am mentally picturing Fulgrim as "Hans Gruber-in-space."

"I could discuss Southeast Asian development projects and men's fashion all day, but I'm afraid work must interrupt."

I do love BL stuff - in other case I wouldn't have been discussing stuff. Just afraid that BL will go smaller with time and would become a publisher of rainbow novels for the teens. GK/HH/W40K are an Apocalyptic scale events, not the roadshows and Indiana Jones adventures.

Anyway - I love Joshua novels, after awesome Fabius I can forgive almost everything.

Saw this comment way late and thought i'd respond to it, I don't think any of those three things are just about apocalyptic scale events at all, if they were i'd probably toss them out the window as literary trash because the nonstop 'A million is a statistic' mentality would make it impossible for me to get attached to anything or anyone.

How 'big' an event is is irrelevant, what matters is characterization, style, and structure. DoW could take place on a ridiculously massive scale and it wouldn't stop me from being incredibly bored with all it's literary tie ins, if not outright offended for wasting my time.

1) Kyme shorts are miles better than novels - totally agree.

2) Chirurgeon and Perfection was nicely done indeed.

3) But, even through Cario, Konenos, Eidolon, Varda etc. were not the 'main' characters in 'Path of Heaven' - they were truly 'ALIVE'. In Kyme's Chirurgeon and Perfection which are directly about 3rd - only 2 protagonists had the same level of 'life' in them.

And that all kind of highlights my problem here. Cario, Konenos, Eidolon, and Varda might of been individually fleshed but I never got the impression anyone but Varda and Eidolon were 'full of life' because we never got a massive focus on any of them individually. Thus the advantage of short stories, Chirugeon and Perfection were about single people, were more condensed, and not necessarily more detailed as of course their smaller pieces but more personality could be crammed into Chuirurgeon then I could get out of Cairos scenes. That isn't to say Wraight should of focused in on them...ultimately Path of Heaven is a White Scars book after all, but that didn't stop me from liking the other depictions more.
Edited by Loesh

'And that all kind of highlights my problem here. Cario, Konenos, Eidolon, and Varda might of been individually fleshed but I never got the impression anyone but Varda and Eidolon were 'full of life' because we never got a massive focus on any of them individually. Thus the advantage of short stories, Chirugeon and Perfection were about single people, were more condensed, and not necessarily more detailed as of course their smaller pieces but more personality could be crammed into Chuirurgeon then I could get out of Cairos scenes. That isn't to say Wraight should of focused in on them...ultimately Path of Heaven is a White Scars book after all, but that didn't stop me from liking the other depictions more.'

- indeed, you are right. Through 2 chapters of Cario make him more interesting for me, than all the Fabius time in Chirurgeon. On the other note - Joshua Fabius in Primogenitor just in one chapter made me 'like' him :)

As for the Fulgrim. From what Joshua said on twitter:

"There is dancing. No dance battle, though'

It's mostly Fulgrim politely threatening people. There's almost no fighting.

I wanted to call it 'Fulgrim: The Phoenix Manifesto'.

It's about Fulgrim toppling a corrupt planetary government

I'm loving that Fulgrim: Palatine Phoenix discussion on Bolter & Chainsword. Too bad they all wrong, and ain't none of that happening".

So we will have a treat :whistling:

No matter how great it is I'll still view Fulgrim as a complete jerk :D which only makes me want to read it even more so I can enjoy it completely (as the plot sounds awesome plus it's by the same one who did such an amazing job of Fabius ) just so I can finish reading to put it down thinking to myself "What a jerk " before reading it again a few months later for the 4th time like I'm doing with Primogenitor

No matter how great it is I'll still view Fulgrim as a complete jerk :biggrin.: which only makes me want to read it even more so I can enjoy it completely (as the plot sounds awesome plus it's by the same one who did such an amazing job of Fabius ) just so I can finish reading to put it down thinking to myself "What a jerk " before reading it again a few months later for the 4th time like I'm doing with Primogenitor

Fulgrim was always used as a peacock in BL novels/novellas/shorts. He is the most Slaaneshi follower from the start. All that unsublime Pride...

From the point BL showed him - I think nobody was in any doubt where he will end up :wink:

So it would be a hard job for Joshua to show us the 'good' Fulgrim. For others (except the EC followers) to truly worry about his actions :yes:

• 1 month later...

Discussion thread for October's Primarch release by Josh Reynolds

BL blurb as follows

Seeking a new challenge and a mighty triumph, Fulgrim – prideful primarch of the Emperor's Children – sets out to conquer a world with just seven warriors by his side…

READ IT BECAUSE
It's a unique look at Fulgrim, always one of the most fascinating of the primarchs. And with a focus on him and a small band of heroes, you're guaranteed explosions in character dynamics as well as the action…

THE STORY
Lord of Chemos and bearer of the Palatine Aquila, Fulgrim, primarch of the Emperor’s Children, is determined to take his rightful place in the Great Crusade, whatever the cost. A swordsman without equal, the Phoenician has long studied the art of war and grows impatient to put his skills, and those of his loyal followers, to a true test. Now, accompanied by only seven of his finest warriors, he seeks to bring a rebellious world into compliance, by any means necessary. But Fulgrim soon learns that no victory comes without cost, and the greater the triumph, the greater the price one must pay... 
Edited by R_F_D

From the snippet, it looks as if this novel might cover an interesting angle: Fulgrim's increasing ambition balanced against his need to keep his crippled legion alive.

sorry, I have mentioned that I can't see your posts so can't comment on whatever you have said.

From the snippet, it looks as if this novel might cover an interesting angle: Fulgrim's increasing ambition balanced against his need to keep his crippled legion alive.

I think this is touched on in the ForgeWorld books?  Seem to recall the After Ullanor pod mentioning it.  This is the period when Fulgrim and the ECs are essentially seconded to Horus and the Luna Wolves?  I'm hoping there won't be too many suggestions that Fulgrim's fall was pre-destined, other than hyping up his ambition.

Usually I'm not that into Fulgrim and his Legion per se. But I once vowed that I would purchase all of the Primarch books in order to have at least one series completely. ^^

Until now, 2 books were very good / awesome, one was ok and the fourth one is the next one on my to-do list. Not bad at all. :)

Yeah I have enjoyed the Primarch series in general.

I also plan to get either the LE (only for the Primarchs I really like) or the hardcover Amazon release that is much cheaper. RG has been the most disappointing which I got as a LE. Russ and Magnus were solid (Russ is my favorite so far). I got Perturabo as a LE (love the chevrons) which was quite good as a story. I probably get the rest as the regular hardcover when they eventually come out with the exception for Dorn, Horus and maybe alpharius (I think his background and his "upbriniging" with the twin has lot of potential). 

The synopsis strikes me as more of an Alpharius thing, but I suppose we'll get a good look at the 3rd legion at its lowest point, which is nice. A bunch of characters reminiscing about how they were almost extinguished when at full power never left much of an impact. And being Mr. Reynolds, it should be done well.

It is a little bit early to discuss - it wasn't even released or shipped yet

Shall I delete my threads about Ruinstorm and Old Earth?

How about that Emperor's Spears one by that AD-B chap? 19 pages already and far from finished being written. And don't even get me started on all those Siege of Terra related topics, we're 10 years too early to even touch that with a ten foot pole, I say!

It is a little bit early to discuss - it wasn't even released or shipped yet

Shall I delete my threads about Ruinstorm and Old Earth?

dear mr hopkins - my response was not in that thread - it was merged from another thread which was something like let's discuss 'Fulgrim'.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered it up but I’m a little nervous about this one. Sounds like a battle book, Guilliman comes to mind and gives me the shivers. Hopefully not, will wait and see

Editing the above as I just read his twitter feed saying there was little or no fighting! Lots of threats though! Relief and I can’t wait now...

Edited by Punishing Pete