Primarch Book 6 - Fulgrim

Just checked Talon of Horus, this comes from a line in the dramatis personae rather than anything coming from a character: "III Legion warrior, born of Chemos". Not mentioned anywhere else and feels close to a factual statement so yeah, it's a minor slip-up. Apparently the upcoming Fabius Bile: Clonelord will have a glimpse at Bile's childhood, presumably on Terra.

On the missing primarchs, this (based on the snippet in lexicanum) feels the right amount of restraint. No explicit talking about it in dialogue, nothing about executioners. Keeping it at the level of a primarch's private thoughts about an event from his past where his missing brother was present is believable, maintains the edict of secrecy, and lets the narrative move swiftly on. Reeeallly don't want anything more substantive.

Finished it. Have to say a well thought out little book. Definitely got well into Fulgrims character.

Slow start great middle and a middling end but overall a good read well worth the time and cash investment to read it.

Would say it would be worthwhile to read FW book Betrayal, the chapters on the Emperors Children before you read it.

Still hate the purple it’s terrible.

On the subject of the reference to the missing Primarch, The Horus Heresy Book 1: Betrayal strongly implies that the second and eleventh were (for whatever reason) never actually put in charge of their Legions:

Over the course of the Great Crusade the Emperor was reunited with each Primarch in turn and, save two whose secrets are far beyond this record, each was sooner or later placed in command of one of the Emperor's Space Marine Legions as its master, second only in authority to the Emperor himself.

So, that's interesting.

I have been searching everywhere and finally found one, but there's a problem, though, its in Russian. This is what I've got, using google translate

CHAPTER FIRST. ANABASYS 

"Fire and blood. Sooner or later, everything ends in fire and blood. At least in this his brothers are convinced. They argue that Consent is forged in fire and cool with blood. Ashes, which tightened the heavens, and fields dotted with bones. Fire and blood. A very dull doctrine, which definitely lacks even elementary rudiments of artistry. "

Fulgrim stands on the deck of the" Pride of the Emperor "and talks about the tactics of bringing the worlds to Harmony and its effectiveness.

Not far from it are six Space Marines, the best of the best. Only one of them was from the Two Hundreds (Two Hundred) that knelt before him on Chemos. Then from the Legion there was only a name and two hundred fighters. The Seventh Space Marine, also a member of the Two Hundreds in the past, stood somewhat apart from the others. Five out of six are young warriors, eager to prove themselves. Five did not know why they were called, so they were nervous. Sixth kept calm and smiled. The primarch is above the highest of them.

Fulgrim turns to Narva Quin and talks about effectiveness. What Horus considers adequate, others might call barbarous. For several decades his degenerate Legion fought in the shadow of the other Legions. Horus showed Fulgrim what it means to be the son of the Emperor, but the Primarch of the Children of the Emperor believes that worlds can be conquered without driving them by bombing in the stone age. And he announces to assembled Space Marines that he intends to prove it in practice together with them. Fulgrim is going to lead the world of Byzas to the Accord only with the help of six blades, and these swords will be the legionnaires assembled here.

The participants experience mixed emotions, not only pride, but also concern, zeal, calculation. They are young, but not tested in the case. This will be their test, just like the test for Fulgrim. A new method of warfare, accomplished both in its conception and in practice. 

He tells his soldiers about anabasis, a military term from the Aegean dialect of the Ionic Plateau. "A military campaign from the lowland to a more elevated one, for example, from the shore of the sea inland." In the modern sense, a long march of military units along an unfriendly territory . " This task will be their anabasis.

Then he lets go of them, and when they leave the deck, he turns to the seventh legionnair, the Terran, Lord Commander Abdemon (Abdemon), who is armed with a power sword-a gift from the armourers of the Ionian plateau of Terra. Before the discovery of Fulgrim, he took part in every battle of the Third Legion, including Proxima. He arrived in Kemos with the Emperor. Fulgrim heard that he was an outstanding swordsman, but in battle he had not yet seen. Primarch is interested in the opinion of Abdemon and he in paints tells how he is inspired by the forthcoming task, obviously slightly bending. Fulgrim understands this and conducts an easy educational work, recalling the subordination and that such behavior is acceptable only when they are alone.

Fulgrim recalls how he restored the Legion with the help of the Emperor and the aristocrats of ancient Europe, until his strength again grew. But in the eyes of his brothers, he was still weak. Horus believed that Fulgrim was still too early to fight independently, but even Horus could be wrong.

Fulgrim is again interested in Abdemon's opinion about the choice of the legionaries for the upcoming assignment, to which he replies that Quinn is too brutal, like Flavius ​​Alkenex. They are warriors for the battle on the front line, not diplomats. To this, the primarch answers that it is for this that they are needed. According to Abdemon, Telmar, Thorn and Cyrius are a good choice. Fulgrim agrees with the assessment of the Lord Commander, Cyrus the gifted swordsman and, in the opinion of the primarch, has great potential, and is interested in the opinion of Fabia, the terranin from the mountain regions of northern Europe, who was also from the Two Hundreds, the only surviving member of the then apothecarion. Abdemon considers that one more problem, the apothecary is talented, but too egoistic in his opinion. Fulgrim also does not particularly like Fabian's cynicism.

Abdemon is wondering why they are taking the risk of getting Bizas to agree in this way. To which Fulgrim replies that his brothers challenged him, that they pitied him and his Legion, and now it's time to earn their respect by flawlessly accomplishing the task. 

Abdemon leaves, and Fulgrim confesses to himself that his success, his brothers, Gilliman and Dorn, are making him angry with whole star systems, not the one and only world. Maybe Russ would have understood him, but he was too arrogant and limited, and only Horus shared his vision of the real purpose of the Great Crusade. 

At stake is the survival of the Legion of the Children of the Emperor, who are now barely able to fill this warship, and one wrong step and them is waiting for oblivion. 

CHAPTER TWO. SONS OF PHOENIX

To the training Narva Quin comes Flavius ​​Alkeneeks. They dislike each other and try to stay away from each other. Narva does not understand why Fulgrim chose such a fool as Flavius ​​for this assignment. 

Alkeneeks is interested that Quinn thinks about all this, to which he responds that this is an opportunity, and about himself thinks that this is a very dubious possibility, given the participants, especially the Spider, whom all legionaries generally hate. In the Legion, there is a very sensitive division of the Terrans and people from Kemos. 

Narvoo, in turn, is wondering what Alkeneeks thinks about all this, to which he replies: 

"Let the officers think for me," Flavius ​​put his hand to the hilt of the sword with a hint. "Maybe we'll take a piss."
- With you? I will not, "Narvo put his ax on his shoulder. - You cheat. 
- I'm winning. 
- Not always. 
"Yes, not always," Alkeneeks shrugged. - Well, then what are you going to do? 
- Finish your training. "

Then they are joined by Kasperos Telmar (Kasperos Telmar) and Grythan Thorn (Grythan Thorn), both came from Kemos and both are very close, even more than their siblings. Narva also dislikes them for their careerism. In the Legion there are enough vacant posts, and often they are taken by natives from the primarch's homeworld. Quinn is terran. Then follows a small squabble and exchange of courtesies, until Abdemon appears. The hero Proksima conducts educational work with the personnel and is interested in where is Tsiri. Thorne answers with a chuckle that he is entertaining some old woman. Abdemon again enlightens the fighter, stating that the "old woman" is a respected diplomat and a member of one of the oldest and noblest houses of ancient Terra. Her blood is purer than the blood of any other warrior in this room, so it should be respected.

Abdemon, left alone, reflects on the fact that if legionnaires do not take anything, they will eventually pounce on each other. Then he remembers his first meeting with the primarch on Kemos, new faces in the Legion and the burden that Fulgrim has taken on himself to defeat degeneration. Then he notices the ambassador and her retinue, along with the elite bodyguards (Patrician-killers). According to rumors, they were recruited from the offspring of the most notable genera of Europe, which did not have the light to inherit at least some small title. They were trained to kill art somewhere on the Moon, and after training their services were sold at the highest prices. The ambassador herself is also a "blue blood", with a genealogy dating even before the events of Old Night (Old Night). They all watch the friendly duel of one of the bodyguards with Tsiri.

Abdemon is not very pleased with this fact, and after reading the subordinate, he sends it out of sight. Then he starts a conversation with an ambassador-diplomat, whose name is Golconda Pyke, and one of the titles is Primary Iterator. She treats him with wine, but unlike his fellow Legions, the Lord Commander to his taste is completely indifferent, he is more interested in the art of war. Then Golconda says that wine is the product of the world that they will have to conquer. It is mostly inhabited by craftsmen and winemakers, and she understands why Fulgrim chose this world for conquest. She also tells us that there is some concern with the high command about the Third Legion that Fulgrim is looking for his way. Abdemon clarifies whether the commanders are worried that the legion will soon cease to be a resource for them, which you can freely dispose of? After all, their contribution to hundreds of campaigns (The Antarctic Clearance, The Fifth Raising of Jove-Sat II and others) was invaluable. Golconda confirms that this is true. She also believes that the campaign on Bizas, the world that they are to lead Harmony, is very important and can turn into a salvation for the Legion, and it can break it. And that they have to do everything to make it the first option.

Fulgrim visits Fabius in the apothecary, where he listens to a Terran concert. The apothecary works days and nights, completely refusing to rest. Fabius, as one of the few survivors of the Two Hundreds, may well claim to be the chief apothecary, but constantly refuses, preferring to focus on his work. 

Fulgrim thinks to himself that the apothecary is a necessary evil. If anyone can find a cure for the Legion, it's Fabius.
Aloud, the primarch observes that the apothecary was not very pleased with the honor he had to accompany Fulgrim in the forthcoming mission, to which he replied that he had a lot of work and asked him to take someone else instead. Fulgrim suddenly asks if he knows what he was given the nickname in the Legion. Yes, Fabius knows that he is called a Spider. The primarch says that it could be a compliment in honor of the spiders of Kemos, but in any case, in his opinion, the apothecary has been locked up for too long, spinning his nets, and that he wants to see Fabius among the brothers. To which the apothecary answers: 

"My brothers are dead. And those who have not died will soon die.
Fulgrim nearly hit him, so strong was the outburst of anger that rushed over him after these words. Abdemon was right: Fabio too deeply immersed himself in the web, woven into himself, in fact, not submitting to anyone. He should be reminded, and as soon as possible, the place reserved for him. 
"Your brothers are alive." This is my word, and even the universe itself will not dare to object to me. I made a choice, Fabius. Like it or not, but you'll go with me to Bizas. This is my final decision. 
"As you wish, my lord." "Tell 
me 
," Fulgrim ordered. 
Fabius hesitated. 
- I'm not much advanced. It is not influence from outside, it is ... an internal flaw. 
He fell silent. Fulgrim looked at him studyingly. 
"Candidates with a flaw?" he finally asked.
Fabius did not answer. Fulgrim turned away from him. The eloquent silence of the apothecary was the answer. The degradation that hit the genosemia still represented a danger. A bomb with a clockwork ticking in the cages of his sons. Even those born on Kemos were not immune to a malignant defect. The genome was taken from him; does this mean that a flaw lies in it?
Once such a conclusion would be unimaginable. But now it was quite possible. Fulgrim clutched the hilt of the Fireblade tightly. He suddenly felt intolerable to get a sword and cut the apothecaryon and everything in it is in small pieces. He felt the look of the apothecary. Fabio felt his growing anger and hid behind the counter with the equipment. Fulgrim wondered what the apothecary would do if he revealed his weapon. Will he try to stop it? Or will it just be watching how the primarch gives vent to his rage? The temptation to check was growing.
Fulgrim squeezed his eyes tightly. He became more irritable and quick-tempered ever since he left Kemos. Decades of frustration made him a shadow of his former self, sagging heavily on his shoulders. Sometimes he desperately wanted to return to the fortress-factories of Kemos, where he spent his youth. 
The same heavy burden was imposed on himself and Fabio, fighting with an irresistible force of circumstances. 
Fulgrim opened his eyes and took a deep breath. 
"Ingolstadt," he said after a few moments and noticed from the corner of his eye how the apothecary had stopped. "That's the place where you come from, is it?" A curious name is archaic - not devoid of certain strength. Are there any memories in your memory? 
Fabius nodded. 
- Something.
"Tell me," an order sounded, sounding like a request. 
"I remember the mountains." And storms. Smell of fire. The leather bindings of the books in my hands are a library. A real library, not just a collection of information tablets. I remember the sounds of music that are heard in the halls of stone. 
Fabius blinked: "That's all." 
- It's enough. Hold on tightly for these memories, let them become your guiding star. You understood me? 
- Yes. 
Lies, immediately understood Fulgrim. But maybe it's true, for now. 
"When the campaign on Bizas is over, remind me to appoint you to the post of chief apothecary, Fabius." A typical apothecary is worthless to stand guard over the future of the Emperor's Children.
He turned and left, leaving the silent Spider in the middle of a web that he had woven. Then he heard the sounds of the music playing again. " 

CHAPTER THREE. LOADING FIRE

"The Pride of the Emperor" comes out of the warp not far from Vizant. Fulgrim reflects on everything little by little - about the primarch brothers, about his sword, about life on Kemos, about his parents (Corrin and Tullea), and so on. His reasoning interrupts Abdemon's message that they have reached the orbit of Buzant. The primarch goes to the landing deck. 

On the landing deck were gathered the mourners, Golconda Pike, Lord Commander Herodotus Frazer (Herodotus Frazer) and other higher ranks from the leadership of the twenty-eighth expedition. The orchestra is playing))

Appears Fulgrim, along with Abdemon and the other six legionnaires. The primarch slowly communicates with all the mourners, and finally turns to Golconda, offering to join him in this mission, if she and Fraser do not mind. No one, of course, does not mind. 

Fulgrim, along with the rest, goes to his personal "Storm Bird", which he designed himself and which is the fastest ship in the expedition fleet. Along the way, he tells that he got acquainted with the history of Vizant and managed to read five thousand volumes of works on the history of this world (of the eight thousand collected by the Golconda service). The vizant is not highly developed technologically (the consequences of Long Night) and in this respect continues to degrade. The dynastic system is ruled by an autocratic government.

Fulgrim's "Firebird" with the primarch and his chosen warriors on board, accompanied by two more "Storm Birds", leaves the hangar and heads towards Byzant. 

The primarch, along with Golconda and the rest, discusses the Buzan, its geography, politics, and other details relevant to the assignment. 

"It was rumored that Golconda, if desired, could receive an audience with the Emperor himself. Fulgrim was better informed. She was one of the creators of Sigillite. Malcador preferred to have his people in his entourage, as well as the surroundings of all the other primarchs. Watch them. Evaluate them. As if wanting to find a way to make them submissive. A cruel and unpleasant truth. For Fulgrim remained a mystery how his father could trust this man. "

Then they land on an old landing pad, where they are already waiting for a delegation of representatives of the government of this world, led by Chancellor Corinth (Corynth) who greets Fulgrim and his retinue. The primarch thanks him and declares that he came with peace and on behalf of the Emperor of Mankind invites the population of Visant to join the Imperium of Mankind. The crowd gathered around rejoices, but aristocrats, on the contrary, do not show such enthusiasm. 

CHAPTER FOUR. THE MOST PUBLICATION 

"Not the Phoenician-Fulgrim. The Phoenix is ​​not a title, just a nickname given to me by some kind of wit at my father's court at the sight of my armor "

Fulgrim is present at a reception in a magnificent and luxurious banquet hall, where local aristocrats are present, Governor Pandion (Pandion), a delegation of the primarch. He starts a conversation with Chancellor Corinth and says that it seems that not everyone agrees with the coming changes. Corinth responds that especially if Governor Pandion remains in power. To this primarch declares that if the only question is this, for stability in the society of Pandion and in exile can be sent.

"Fulgrim noticed Abdemon at the window, not looking at his own plate. Following the example of the primarch, he came to the reception in power armor, like all the other legionaries. And now they towered over the rest of the guests. Everything except Fabius, hiding near the far wall and studying the assembled crowd of people with a look as if he was going to dissect them. Telmar squeezed in the corner of some unfortunate nobleman and led an ominously-politic conversation. Quinn, in confusion, studied the banquet table, carefully holding a tiny dish in huge hands. Alkeneeks and Thorne were thrown in monosyllabic phrases, watching the others more than participating in conversations. Then he heard the loud laughter of Cyria and the giggling of a small enthusiastic crowd gathered around him. 
"I thought you came to help the governor," said Corinth after a pause.
"I came here to lead Vizant to Accord." And I would prefer to do it as efficiently as possible. - Fulgrim watched as graceful dancers slid on the dance floor. Part of him was eager to join them. Not now. Not today. "I do not care who will rule, the main thing is that he rules in the name of the Emperor."

Fulgrim specially raised his voice to let others know that Fulgrim talks about future reforms and changes after which he will not become an archaic caste system of clans, and how well normal people will heal. Not all present such news to the soul. Here, the governor Pandion approaches the primarch - an old and sick man, but still trying to look cheerful. 

"Pandione grinned.
"You arrived very timely." They become completely unbearable. All I want is to spend the rest of my days in peace and quiet, surrounded by family. 
Fulgrim nodded, listening in half. He studied the crowd, paying attention to the body language, until he took out a dozen people. They looked awkward, trying to look like everyone else. They gradually moved forward to the governor, using the crowd as a cover. 
The killers. Their attempts to merge with the crowd were too obvious. Means, nonprofessionals. He took a sip of wine and blinked. 
"Wow, how unfortunate." 
- What happened? Pandion looked at him anxiously. 
"Someone just tried to poison me." I did not expect such impudence. He made a secret sign to Tsiriya.
"I will immediately notify the guards," Pandion began. 
- No. Continue to behave as if nothing had happened. 
"But ... 
" "I'll survive this insult, Governor." Please allow me to deal with this problem in my own way. "

Then one of the killers takes out a gun and shoots at Pandion. Fulgrim, calculating the trajectory of the bullet, substitutes the palm and saves the governor. The murderers, after a short delay, open fire again, but the primarch closes the governor and the bullets safely bounce off his armor. Then, at the command of Fulgrim, the legionaries join the case and quickly deal with the killers, leaving one alive. Abdemon reports that he intercepted on vox information that the killers had a retreat plan and they are waiting for a small aircraft. Fulgrim decides to do it himself, jumps out the window and runs to the landing site. There he manages to jump on the flying small shuttle, then climbs into the passenger compartment and straightens out the passengers, leaving one for questioning. However, he manages to commit suicide, uttering the last: "Sabazius lives".

CHAPTER FIVE. REFERENCES

Fulgrim alone talks with Governor Pandion in his chambers. He thanks the primarch for saving his life. This is not the first and, probably, not the last attempt of the attempt. They discuss the future Consent, Fulgrim remarks that rarely any worlds are ready to immediately accept the Consent, to which the governor responds that he does not mind recognizing the power of the Imperium if he keeps his post, and in general, it will be better for a gradually degrading world. Pandion is confident that the primarch brought an army with him to pacify the disobedient and those who do not like the forthcoming changes, and is very much surprised by the fact that Fulgrim wants to confine himself to the forces of the six warriors. Golconda Pike has already agreed even the date of the solemn ceremony - a month later, during the celebration of the anniversary of the founding of the government. The primarch promises that by this time the world will reign on the planet.

"They told me about your warrior." About that, which carries this ... device ... and which takes from the children of aristocrats gene samples. I get complaints. People are worried and do not understand why he does it. 
"He checks their genes for compatibility." 
- But why? 
- My soldiers are from noble houses, and their ranks need to be replenished. Part of the Accord is the tithe of blood. Preference is given to the first-born, but we accept into our ranks those who have suitable genes. 
- Who is Sabazi? 
"No one," muttered Pandion. 
"So he's dead?" 
"He was never alive." He's just a local folklore character, an ordinary fairy tale, which foolish folks tell each other when they are afraid of the world around them. Just a popular myth. "

Golconda Pike, together with Abdemon and Chancellor Corinth, discuss the primarch's decision to lead the world to the Accord by the forces of six warriors. The Chancellor strongly doubts that Fulgrim will succeed in carrying out the plan because of the resistance of the aristocracy. Golconda agrees with him that the primarch makes a mistake, in the current situation and the current forces, this, in her opinion, will take much more time. Abdemon asks to give him all possible information about the rebels and the Chancellor, of course, agrees. They are discussing how the announcement of the ceremony of bringing the world to the Accord, which is to take place in a month, will be received tomorrow. Will this be the reason for those who disagree with the action.

Fulgrim visits Fabius, who has settled himself apart from everyone else, to the displeasure of the primarch. He has already collected about a hundred gene samples from the moment of his arrival. Fabius also with torture and torture pulled out of the prisoner left all that he knew. He told about a dozen different factions fighting for power. Even factions within factions. These people for generations have made treachery and power struggle a game, a hobby. In addition, the apothecary conducted tests on gene implantation on a prisoner. The initial results look promising. 

CHAPTER SIX. ARISTOCRATS

In the Throne Room, in the presence of the governor, the Chancellor and Fulgrim with his entourage, all the acquaintance of Visant gathered.

"The owners of this world have not yet fully realized in what position they were. But soon they will understand this. And as soon as this happens, some of them will show frank hostility. Fulgrim eagerly awaited this. A worthy challenge. At least, interesting entertainment. "

The governor makes a statement that they must be reunited with humanity, but not all of them agree with him. Fulgrim states that he could force this world to Accord, but unlike his brothers who believe in the policy of "blood and fire", would prefer to do this peacefully. Aristocrats are indignant. The word takes the patrician Bucepholos, one of the leaders of the opposition, accusing Fulgrim of simply coming to enslave this world. The primarch argues with him a little, and, uttering a heartfelt speech that he would like that Visant peacefully returned to the fold of the Imperium, leaves the meeting, finally expressing the hope that the aristocracy will make the right decision. 

CHAPTER SEVEN. PHOENIXIANS SHOWS YOURSELF

Accompanied by Chancellor Corinth and his three sons - Kasperos Telmar, Gritan Thorn, Fabia Baila - Fulgrim strolls the streets of the capital of Vizant. They are accompanied by an enthusiastic crowd of people. The Chancellor does well with the townspeople, and Fulgrim thinks that perhaps it should simply be to remove the current governor and appoint Corinth instead. At least that's what Horus would do, and on the dissatisfied aristocrats would lower his Wolves and raise a pyramid from their skulls in the center of the capital.

The primarch received an invitation to meet Bucefol and asked Corinth if the chancellor could tell about the patrician. To which he says that this is a dangerous person, with whom you need to be very careful. It was rumored that he was going to stage a coup d'etat, and besides, it was rumored that he was behind all the recent attempts on the life of the governor. And, probably, it was on his instructions that Fulgrim's wine was poisoned at the reception. But there is no evidence. The primarch promises to have this in mind.

Corinth shares with the primarch his thoughts that at first he believed that Fulgrim went for a walk then to lure out the killers and provoke them to take another attempt at the attempt. But now he sees that the primarch, who is preying before the crowd, wants to win over the local population. To which Fulgrim retorts that the chancellor certainly has nothing to do with the fact that the townspeople suddenly gathered in this place in such a large number. Corinth admits that it is not so easy to hide from the primarch.

In the meantime, a young guy tries to touch Casperos's armor and he does not hesitate to knock the brave man off his feet and intends to punish him. He is stopped by Fabius, indicating that he merely showed curiosity not wanting to cause harm, just as they would have acted in their place. Telmar compares himself with the assembled primitive people to heart, and is going to arrange a duel with Fabius for the insult. But Fulgrim shames Kasperos, stating that their task is to help these people to rise to their level.

But then a shot rang out, and Fulgrim, sharply snatching his sword, cuts the bullet flying into it into two parts. The shot was fired from the roof of nearby houses, and the primarch, having calculated the trajectory in his mind and the place from which the shot was made, rushes there. Corinth's guess was correct, Fulgrim did, indeed, go out on this walk, hoping to provoke another attempt. In the course of the persecution, it turns out that the killers were two. One perishes by the sword of Fulgrim, and the second still manages to slip away. 

CHAPTER EIGHT. THE NON-FOREIGN CHEF

Fulgrim meets Bucefol at the manor. In the course of the conversation, the primarch is unobtrusively interested in whether he allowed the patricians to take the gene samples from his three sons. What scares Bucefola. The Patrician replies that Fabius was already here and was very rude, which amuses the primarch. Fulgrim proceeds to the matter and directly asks if Bucefol represents the interests of a syndicate. Bucefol is perplexed.

"- In my world, if the heads of the mafia clans had questions to me, they organized a meeting, elected a delegate and sent him to me. If the delegate did not manage to resolve the issue by negotiation, then they tried to bribe me. When this did not work for them, the most stubborn paid for the services of incompetent hired assassins. And then they could only accept. Over time, they all understood the meaninglessness of the resistance and conceded immediately, unconditionally. 
Fulgrim folded his arms and leaned against the balcony. It was his favorite pose on Kemos. The Unforgiven Chef (The Executive at Ease) - so it was nicknamed by one familiar artist. "

Bucefol states that they should not be intimidated, and that there is still no evidence of the fact that Fulgrim under the command has an invincible army. Fulgrim retorts, saying that as there is no evidence that Bucefol encroached on his life. According to the reaction of the patrician, the primarch understands that he was completely unaware of the assassination attempt and said that nothing surprising, only for the last month he himself was twice tried to poison.
Fulgrim changes the subject and asks that Bucefol knows about Sabazia? The patrician does not know anything about him, and again the primarch understands that he is telling the truth. Bucefol also says that he does not talk on behalf of some syndicate or group, because they are severely disunited. He just wanted to know what the fate of the aristocrats would be in the new scenario. Fulgrim, realizing that Butsefol is not the one who he needs, loses interest in the conversation and, advising him to communicate on this subject with Golkonda Pike, leaves the estate.

On the way back, Fulgrim communicates with Abdemon and says that he is disappointed by the fact that Bucefol was not what the primarch believed him to be. Abdemon reports on the current situation, the outbreaks of violence and pogroms that even patricians can not pacify and urge the government to send troops. The governor has enough to suppress the protests of the troops, but with such a tendency he will soon be unable to cope with the rebels. The primarch is interested in how things are in the case of Fabia. Abdemon reports that he has collected twelve thousand gene samples from representatives of all classes, but no news from him yet. Aristocrats complain about him, and bodyguards Golkonda Pike prevented three attempts at an attempt. 

Fulgrim meets with Golconda, and she immediately realizes that Bucefol was not what they are looking for.
Pike also tells us that someone sabotages the delivery of food, which can provoke additional unrest. The primarch is sure that this is not a series of random events - there is a certain person behind this. 

CHAPTER NINE. LIFE AND VIEWS

Thorn and Telmar, on the instructions of the primarch, went to check the disturbances in the agricultural lands. They are not greeted with much pleasure, knocking down the aircraft when landing and shooting Space Marines out of ancient weapons, which, however, can do no harm to their armor. The primarch ordered peace talks, so they just wait until the rioters run out of ammunition and they will have the mood to talk. Eventually, Telmar gets tired of waiting and he suggests to go and meet. Thorn does not mind, and under a hail of bullets they are sent to the estate, in which the revolutionaries settled. The rebels, seeing that they can not cause any damage to the legionaries, subsided. 

"The rioters dropped their weapons. Telmar nodded in satisfaction.
- Good. I'm glad that we settled this issue. Now, someone, bring me a working vox device. And then we'll talk about what it was, okay? Like civilized people. " 

Meanwhile, Flavius ​​Alquinex and Narva Quinn inspect, again, on the instructions of the primarch, the plant of one of the patricians, where the riots also occur. The rebels at the sight of the legionnaires quiet down, and only repeat the single word: "Sabazi." On the corpse of the overseer, Alkinex discovers a strange medallion.

Fulgrim is acquainted with the information that the legionaries have collected. The report of Kasperos about farmers does not bring anything new: an unbearable life, hard working conditions, fear of change, all this seems to have provoked riots. According to information from Alkinex, the situation in the factories is not better, but even worse. Thoughtfully examining the medallion found by Alkinex - a stylized hand with half-compressed fingers, as if squeezing something - he thinks about Sabazie. The murderers at the reception shouted his name. The lower classes pray to him. Governor Pandion considers it a fairytale and Bucefol - a myth.

Fulgrim feels that the threat of war, led by someone's invisible hand, hangs over Byzant, and it seems that the only way to stop her is to conquer this world and take everything under total control. That only prove the correctness of his brothers. The Primarch is visited by Chancellor Corinth. Fulgrim shows him the medallion and he recognizes it - this is Sabazia's hand. The Primarch is alarmed, hearing in what tone the chancellor pronounces this name - in such a tone his people talk about the Emperor. To the question of Fulgrim who is this, Corinth tells the story of Sabazia. It was the man who brought here their ancestors. He broke their chains and freed them from the great tyrant who called himself the master of all mankind. He killed a great serpent and built ships out of his scales, on which they escaped. So they arrived at Buzant. At least those are the stories. The Chancellor also talks about a certain Sabazian Brotherhood, a kind of learned community that aspired to enlightenment. But the then government, decades ago, considered them a threat and persecution and persecution, got rid of them. Fulgrim decides that if this Brotherhood still exists secretly, its primary task is to find them. They also talk about the future of Visant, Corinth certainly wants to improve the lives of people, and he is sure that the Accord will go well for everyone, but it will not be Visant, but only some 28-1 that if this Brotherhood still exists secretly, its primary task is to find them. They also talk about the future of Visant, Corinth certainly wants to improve the lives of people, and he is sure that the Accord will go well for everyone, but it will not be Visant, but only some 28-1 that if this Brotherhood still exists secretly, its primary task is to find them. They also talk about the future of Visant, Corinth certainly wants to improve the lives of people, and he is sure that the Accord will go well for everyone, but it will not be Visant, but only some 28-1(number in the imperial catalog) . Then Corinth leaves the primarch, and Fulgrim after a while observes that the chancellor took with him a medallion. 

CHAPTER TEN. CHIRY TRAINING

Tsiri entertains with the local nobility by arranging dueling and easily disarms his opponents without even shedding blood. Appearing Abdemon immediately notices that Ziria escaped attention - he is closely watched and studied for what he is capable of.

Abdemon and Tsiri join the other legionnaires and Fulgrim, discussing the current situation with Golconda Pike and Herodotus Fraser. Though their enemies are disunited, they are quite numerous. It is difficult to fight for a thousand different fronts. Various options for further action are discussed. Fulgrim offers the unexpected idea of ​​making their disunited enemies unite against them, and the rest, especially Tsiri, develop this idea than please the primarch. The plan is as follows: to take under the protection of the governor, limiting everyone access to it, withdraw army units from the riots, dissolve the government and take hostage all aristocrats and members of their families present in the capital. 

CHAPTER ELEVEN. SONS OF SABAZIA

The government and parliament of aristocrats are dissolved, which Governor Pandion, as he confesses in his conversation with Golconda, is immensely pleased. For decades, he dreamed of doing it. But his joy did not last long, Pike tells him that he remains in the capital as a bait. 

Fulgrim with legionnaires undertakes a raid on the army barracks, where he punishes unreliable officers - descendants of noble families. At the same time, this is a demonstration of what awaits the other potential traitors. Some of the officers die with shouts of "Sabazi is alive" on his lips. 

Meanwhile, the bodyguards of Golconda Pike eliminate the instigators of riots throughout the city, beheading the protests in the capital that is brewing in the capital.

In the evening, in his quarters, Fulgrim studies the Sabbia Brotherhood Fencing Manual, which was obtained in government archives. After Corinth told him the history of the Brotherhood, it was easier to find information in the archives. Those were excellent duelists. Then an uninvited guest climbs into the window. However, Fulgrim was expecting him: according to his calculations, he should have come even earlier. The stranger is not a hired killer, he came to talk. His face is hidden by a mask, and his voice is distorted by the speakers built into it. But he does not want to speak here and not now, but tomorrow, where Sabazi first set foot on the land of Visant. With these words the stranger hides in the window. 
Fulgrim sighs: "I hate riddles." 

CHAPTER TWELVE. PHOENIXIANS OF ANABAS

The puzzle, however, was not so complicated. The answer, expectedly, turned out to be in the fencing manual. The place turned out to be a monastery, from which now only ruins remain, in the mountains of Anabas (Anabas Mountains). The monastery was once erected in the place where the mythical Sabazi first appeared in this world, stuck a sword into the ground and from there flowed water, changing the landscape around. For Fulgrim this is a familiar story, it was just named after "bringing water" from the mythology of Kemos.

The aggravated feelings of Fulgrim tell him that fifteen people are hiding in the ruins together with the night visitor. Finally one of them appears (but not a night visitor), wrapped in black and with a sword in his hand, and welcomes the primarch at this place, in Sabazius-Ut-Anabas, the Heart of Vizant, as some call it. Fulgrim feels the vibrations of the huge mechanism under him, maybe generators or something else. 

A conversation begins. Sabazians want to change this world for the better, and do not really want Consent, but first they need the resignation of a corrupt governor. Fulgrim understands that the members of the Brotherhood are just naive idealists and demagogues, and explain to them quite harshly that this world belongs to him, whether he likes it or not.

"If you help us, we will turn this world into paradise - a fitting gift to your Emperor," one of the members of the Brotherhood said. 
"It's like you do not listen to me," Fulgrim frowned. "I have no desire to turn this world into paradise." I just want to bring him to Accord. If you want to make a coup d'état then go ahead, arrange it, but only quickly, I will not help you with this. 
"So you will not interfere when we come for the governor?" 
"The Pandion and the members of his family are under my protection." It is good or bad, but it is he who guarantees the stability of this world. I will not let you or anyone else plunge the planet into chaos. If you want to form a new government, please. But Pandion will keep his post. The order will be preserved.
"He's corrupt!" exclaimed one of the Sabazians. 
- Right. But he is my man. Just like any government that you form will be mine. Regardless of how you want to see it, it will take the form that will suit me personally. That is the essence of the Accord. Tilt your head or you will lose it. You have no other alternatives. 
- We could be allies, Lord Fulgrim. At least we'd be better able to be useful to Pandion. 
- I do not need my friends. And I know you even better than you know yourself. My goal is a peaceful and peaceful society, not a utopia.
- And how do you intend to achieve it, if you protect the root cause of unrest on this planet? Will you be hunting us? We were already hunted in the past. Declare us outlawed? We are already outlawed already. 
"I will dissolve the government." I will get rid of aristocrats in the leadership of the army. I will destroy anyone who will resist the progress I bring to this world. Including your brotherhood and your followers, if you stand in my way. I will do this, even if I have to personally suppress every riot. ... You should make your choice, and I would not hesitate in your place. 
- And if we make the wrong choice? 
- It's not worth it. Humble yourselves and accept your destiny. Bow your head and rejoice that I sympathize with your goals. But if you do not, your brotherhood will disappear. This time is final. "

At this meeting ends. 

CHAPTER THIRTEENTH. PERFECT LIFE

Fulgrim meets with Chancellor Corinth, who practices in a training hall with a blade. 

"- Accept my apologies, Chancellor. Sometimes I forget that the feelings of unauthorized people are not as acute as the feelings of my warriors. 
"Apologies are not required, my lord." 
- Fulgrim, Belleros. Remember? Fulgrim. 
- Given the current situation, I think it's worth keeping to the formalities. 
"Belleros, I assure you, everything that happens is for the best. 
"All the tyrants say so." 
"I'm not a tyrant." If I were, you would have thought twice before pronouncing these words. You do not want to be sparred? 
Corinth's eyes widened with astonishment. Fulgrim laughed.
"I assure you, I will not harm you." I take care of my opponents. At least during training. 
The Chancellor shook his head defensively. 
"I have to reject your proposal, I still have to finish my exercises," Corinth said dryly. 
A completely understandable reaction of a man whose government he had faithfully served was just disbanded on Fulgrim's orders. 
- You understand everything, do not you? 
Corinth looked away. 
- I understand. But you are wrong. Trying to achieve your goals, you provoke a war, the number of victims of which will be simply huge. 
- The end justifies the means. 
Corinth smiled bitterly.
"I'm sure Predion's predecessor said the same thing when he created the Glass Wasteland with his bombing raids." I thought - I was hoping - that you will change this world for the better. Instead, you seem to intend to enslave Visant. 
- Belleras, I will help Byzant, but without unpopular decisions can not do. 
- Why did you turn away from them? Corinth asked. "They could do good." 
Fulgrim immediately became aware of who was talking about. 
"Because they're just children." And I do not have time to play children's games. A vizant must be brought to Accord. I have a question for you. Why did not you accept my offer to become governor during our first meeting? All this could be avoided.
Corinth did not answer. Keeping silence, he left the training hall. Fulgrim almost ran after him. He was shaking with anger. He wanted to destroy something. Briefly swinging, he threw his forearm onto the mannequin, smashing it to pieces. 
"Damn," he said, looking at the pieces lying on the floor. 
Corinth was wrong. This primarch understood very clearly. Pandion was the best choice in the current situation. The Chancellor did not realize that his idealism was completely unacceptable in practice. He sees stability as a cage that holds back growth, and not as an inevitable evil. But he will change his mind. Fulgrim will teach him. Teach them all. He was the Illuminator, and his light will guide them along the path ahead.
The floor shook. He turned, listening, and he heard the sound of a distant explosion, then the muffled sounds of gunfire. An alarm sounded. Fulgrim rushed to the window and flung it open, seeing the outlines of aircraft approaching from the sun. While he was watching them, the aircraft spiked and began bombardment, dropping their deadly cargo. 
Fulgrim stepped back a step, smiling in anticipation. 
Began.". 

In an oasis on the border of the Glass Wasteland, saturated with radiation, Fabio studies local mutants. Alkeneeks wondered why he was doing this useless thing? 

"Alkenes laughed. Alkenes always laughed. His laughter frightened the mutants and they tightened their simple weapons.
Fabius sighed irritably and turned. Alkenes ceased to laugh. Fabio studied his brother-legionnaire with such a look, as if he were figuring out how to dismember him as quickly as possible. Instinctively, Alkenes lowered his hand to the hilt of the sword. Fabius grinned and turned away to work. " 

Fabio still explains that he takes genetic tests to compare with other residents to find the necessary patterns that will allow to separate the best from the worst. They fuss a little while until Fulgrim comes out, ordering both to return to the capital immediately. At the moment when they are heading to their "Storm Bird", they are attacked by an airplane. Alkenes shot him from the bolter, but in the distance more planes appear and legionaries leave for the capital.

At a meeting in the room that served as the headquarters, Golconda Pike tells Fulgrim that the work of Bucefol and other aristocrats is happening, which does not surprise the primarch, as that is what they expected. Then they discuss the plan of defense and owl further actions. 
Fulgrim is going to defeat the aristocrats and brutally suppress the uprising than make himself the enemy of all the Byzantines. And this will force the Sabazia Brotherhood to try to conclude an alliance with the aristocrats. A good opportunity to eliminate all the leaders of resistance at once. 

CHAPTER FOURTEEN. EIGHT AGAINST THE ALL VIZANTA

In the day of the trip from the capital, Gritan Thorne intercepts a small column of troops, several thousand, led by Patrician Fokas (Phokas). Thorn puts the aristocrat before the choice - or he immediately dies, or makes the right choice and does not join the others. Fokas is terribly frightened, rumors have already reached him about how two such armies were already scattered by Abdemona and Kasperos. At first there followed an oral proposal, and then, after refusal, an outbreak of unexpected, violent violence.

The capital, after the bombardment, is precipitated by the rapidly arrived, within a few hours, the main forces of aristocrats. The defense is led by Alkeneeks and Narva Quinn. Here, in the heat of battle, the latter feels much more comfortable than at solemn receptions. He cuts into the ranks of the attackers and easily defeats them. Alkeneeks on the vox reports that, although attacking and more than defending, about one in three, the presence on the battlefield of Quinn was at a level. Then, after a while, arriving Abdemon, Thorn and Telmar, who completed their assignments, enter the battle.

Fulgrim makes his way across the battlefield, a bit dissatisfied with the fact that he had to use brute force instead of verified and point strikes, as originally planned. He was thinking of personally leading a counterattack, but decides not yet to show the enemy what he is really capable of fighting. The forces of aristocrats, having suffered defeat, retreat to the Anabas mountains. Most of the patrician leaders slipped away, but some died in battle, and one was taken prisoner. They are Bucefol, who awaits the primarch's verdict. After some conversation Fulgrim executes the patrician and tells Fabius to immediately deliver his sons on board the "Pride of the Emperor", like the rest of the children of aristocrats taken hostage, and begin the process of implanting the gene seed. And then announces, in the presence of the gathered legionaries, what Fabia appoints as the chief apothecary.

"Eight, against the united power of the whole world," Fulgrim said. - Leman boasted that he had eight hundred soldiers. Horus - eight dozen. We will show the wolves of the Moon and Fenris what the real killers look like. " 

CHAPTER FIFTEEN. HAMMERS

A week has passed since the unsuccessful attempt of the Bucefol uprising. The forces of aristocrats either surrendered, or retreated to remote areas and to the mountains of Anabas, where they are gradually smoked by the governor's troops. 

Fulgrim, who was not specifically involved in the sweep with the aim of lulling the vigilance of the rioters, along with the legionaries on the two "Storm Birds", goes to Sabaziy-at-Anabas, where he had previously met with representatives of the Sabazia Brotherhood. The ruins of the monastery are used as a trans-shipment base for the rebel forces, which then leave from there higher up into the mountains.

"Storm Birds" attack the base and Fulgrim, along with the legionnaires, lands and enters the battle. The primarch and his sons are not able to stop, Fulgrim easily paves the way for himself in the monastery, playing with his defenders playfully.

Then the primarch enters a large, spacious hall where about a hundred members of the Sabazia Brotherhood are waiting for him. They did not show this place to him in vain and they knew that he would come here. Fulgrim again hears some kind of incomprehensible sound, heard by him earlier and taken for the work of some generators. Now, being in the immediate vicinity of the source, he begins to recognize him. After shooting a hole in the wall with a pistol, he sees what is hidden in the next room - a nuclear weapon. The members of the Brotherhood attack him at once to prevent the primarch from getting to the bomb. But their attempts are useless, Fulgrim kills them all and tries to remember how Ferrus had once shown him such a weapon and how to turn it off. However, there is no time, time is running out and the primarch stupidly plunges the blade into the mechanism. This works and the machine shuts down.

Fulgrim realizes that it was a trap, and that he was specially enticed into this place. But why? It looks like Pandion is in danger. 

CHAPTER SIXTEENTH. Phoenixian Court

Tsiriy and Golkonda Pike, receiving a message from the primarch that Sabaziy-at-Anabas was a trap and being tried to kill him with nuclear weapons, accompany Pandion to the Wuthering Pig to take the governor aboard the Emperor's Pride. At the landing site, Chancellor Corinth appears with his people, including aristocrats with whom he was sparring, and attacks Tsiriya. Against the Space Marine turns around and the guard accompanying them. Having sent Golconda and the governor to the ship, Tsiri dismisses the guards and enters into battle with the aristocrats, who already had time to study in the spirits of Tsiriya, and who hit the articulations and vulnerabilities of his armor. Then Corinth strikes with his old family blade (trans-sonic blade), which can pierce anything, including the armor of the Space Marine. Having received a heavy wound and weakened from the blows of aristocrats, Tsiri enters the battle with Corinth. He understands that he is likely to lose, Corinth is quick enough for an ordinary person and is skilled. It is clear that he was preparing for a duel. Tsiri claims that even if he loses, Corinth will lose anyway - the governor is already safe. To which the Chancellor replies that the governor was never a priority, the goal was the primarch and the Space Marines. Their death will show to the population of Vizant that they are not such immortal demigods and will inspire them to continue the struggle against the invaders. When already, it would seem, Cyria is waiting for imminent death, Fulgrim appears. that he was preparing for a duel. Tsiri claims that even if he loses, Corinth will lose anyway - the governor is already safe. To which the Chancellor replies that the governor was never a priority, the goal was the primarch and the Space Marines. Their death will show to the population of Vizant that they are not such immortal demigods and will inspire them to continue the struggle against the invaders. When already, it would seem, Cyria is waiting for imminent death, Fulgrim appears. that he was preparing for a duel. Tsiri claims that even if he loses, Corinth will lose anyway - the governor is already safe. To which the Chancellor replies that the governor was never a priority, the goal was the primarch and the Space Marines. Their death will show to the population of Vizant that they are not such immortal demigods and will inspire them to continue the struggle against the invaders. When already, it would seem, Cyria is waiting for imminent death, Fulgrim appears.

"- Tsiriy. Looks like I arrived just in time. 
Tsirii inclined his head - bitter shame burned more painfully than wounds. 
"Do not worry, Tsiri. You're a fine fellow, "Fulgrim grinned, and headed for Corinth and his men. 
- Come on, Belleras. You defeated your son ... Show what you are capable of against your father. 
Corinth stared incredulously at him. 
"You were supposed to be dead." 
"I rarely turn out to be what others think of me." I am who I should be. This is the essence of Phoenix. By the way, a great trick. You sacrificed an entire army only to kill me. But, as is already obvious, I remained alive. Why, Belleras?
"You know the answer to this question." By your actions you showed that nothing is better than the tyrant who created the Glass Wasteland. I - we - can not let our world fall into the hands of a dictator who wants to leave only ashes from him. It's better Pandion, you're worse than him. 
- Well, suppose you won, then what? Brotherhood Sabazia out of the shadows and take power in their own hands? 
- No, but we will make sure that the power will be in the right hands. Our goals and aspirations are the same as yours. Why did not you work with us? 
"I do not work with fools, even with those whom I sympathize with," Fulgrim replied. "Everything you want will simply turn into anarchy." There is a better way to achieve your goals, but you rejected it. 
- To do it your way. 
- Of course. 
Corinth shook his head.
"So it's a matter of pride?" 
"Not just in pride." You are fighting for a beautiful dream that will never come true, "replied the primarch. - What a pity. But dreams are useless when it is necessary to build something truly worthwhile, something perfect. The reality is that you can not kill me. And you will not rule this world, it's good or bad. If you came to me from the very beginning. 
"We came, Fulgrim, and you rejected us." 
"Not the Brotherhood, Belleras." You. I gave you a chance, then, during our first meeting. All you had to do was just to agree. I told you, I do not care who rules. The main thing is to rule as I see fit. 
Corinth stared at him. Then he began to laugh. At first it's quiet, and then it's louder and louder.
"Stop this laugh," Fulgrim said irritably. - You are crazy? 
"I did not go crazy," Corinth said, and smiled sadly. - Just disappointed. I was right. You did not understand anything, did you? Having studied all our teachings, our wisdom, you learned only a few dueling techniques. 
- And what was there, besides this? 
- A duel with yourself. The battle between desires and goals. And you lost, not even having time to take up the blade. 
- What do you mean? 
- Your desire to show your superiority over all the others. Instead of establishing peace, you provoked the war, eliminating potential threats to your authority. I showed my strength. This is the essence of tyranny. And while at least one of us will be alive, we will have no choice but to fight with you.
Corinth looked at his sword and threw it aside. 
"Wishes and goals," he said simply. - You lose. And we, too, seem to have been defeated. Perhaps we should dutifully kneel. Perhaps you were not the only one who was blinded by pride. 
"Pick him up," Fulgrim demanded. "Belleras, raise your sword." 
Corinth sank to his knees. His people followed his example, kneeling beside him and throwing aside weapons. 
"What do you intend to do with our world, Fulgrim?" Will you fulfill your promises? 
"I ... Belleras, take the :cussing sword," Fulgrim looked around at the others. "All of you, get up." Come up I said. 
Corinth inclined his head, substituting his neck. And again his people followed his example.
"Will you bring light to the shadows?" Will you drag our people out of the quagmire? Will you break our fetters and bring freedom to our people? Will you save Visant from yourself, as you did with Kemos? 
For the first time, Fulgrim felt his Fiery Blade hard. He looked at the chancellor. On the traitor. 
- I will do it. 
- Crying? 
"By my honor, as the commander of the twenty-eighth expedition and as the son of the Emperor, I will save Vizant from myself." 
"Perfection," Corinth said and closed his eyes. - Ruby, Phoenix, cut down and let your desire finally come true. 
Fulgrim struck. 
The war for Buzant ended. " 

CHAPTER SEVENTEENTH. CATABASIS

The ceremony of reconciliation has already taken place and Golconda Pike and Fulgrim celebrate the victory. Fulgrim studies the sword of Corinth - a magnificent weapon, forged on Terra in the early years of the Old Nights. 

"I called this mission Anabasis - a march from the sea into the interior of the territory. Katabasis is his opposite - a march to the sea. Winners return to their ships, giving the changed world to themselves. 
"And this is what you did?" asked Pike. 
- Somewhat. I could change it even more, but in any case, the disease of this world is uprooted.
Fulgrim seemed to be restless, perhaps guilt. Or regret. He was forced to eradicate the Brotherhood of Sabazia in order to save Visant. Not a very pleasant decision, but it could not be otherwise. Or was he just not willing to do anything differently? Desires and goals. What was it that moved him? Was Belleros right? Does it matter? Having won, he proved his superiority. He achieved success and proved by his deed the superiority of his Legion. Proved, first of all, to myself. But the thoughts of kneeling murderers did not come from his head. " 

Golconda studied the work of the Brotherhood. The primarch notices that their dueling techniques will be studied in his Legion, as well as their philosophy. Pike is reproaching Fulgrim for having nearly let himself be killed by falling into a trap. To which, to her great surprise, the primarch admits that he underestimated the situation.

"- What's next? she asked after a pause. 
- Farther? smiled Fulgrim. - We landed and marched, conquering the kingdom. The war is over. It's time to go swimming again. "

Finished it. Overall an enjoyable read, although I was disappointed in places by the predictability of the plot and the lack of character building. The page limit likely didn't help things.

General spoilers/thoughts

Without going into too many specifics, this novel details the first compliance action undertaken by Fulgrim and his Emperor's Children on their own. Various forces in the Imperium, and his own brothers, believe that the Third Legion are not yet ready to go out on their own. Fulgrim allows his pride to get the better of him and claims he can bring a whole world (Twenty-Eight One, named Byzas) to compliance in under a month in the most efficient manner possible - without resorting to unleashing his Legion. He obviously succeeds, although not everything goes as planned.

Byzas is a world on the edge of slipping into darkness, with her grasp of technology (and the government's grasp on society) rapidly deteriorating. The monarch is willing to accept compliance in order to cement his reign, and that of his children, while many other aristocratic families squabble for power. There is also a secret society that chases a utilitarian pro-betterment of fellow man type goal nutters, that Fulgrim clashes with and regretfully destroys, despite their similar aims. At one point they trap him in a room with a functioning nuclear weapon, and for some reason he happens to have experience disarming nuclear weapons thanks to his time with Ferrus (lol) after massacring all of the people left to stop him.

What the book does well is detail the power of a Primarch, but it's nothing really new. We've seen the effect Primarchs have on humans and other marines time and time again, but Reynolds does do it admittedly well. The Fulgrim of this novel is more believable than his role in Fulgrim and Angel Exterminatus, and I think this is the best showing he's ever received, but that doesn't really say much because both the Phoenician and his Legion are underappreciated and underutilised. It's a must read for any EC fans.

There are marines in the book, mainly drawn from the FW: Betrayal & Massacre books, which I loved - it's something Wraight does, dragging names out of the art and putting them into the wider lore, which is just fantastic and really makes it fun working through the FW books and seeing which characters you've seen where - but they don't get much time to themselves, and many of them feel rather generic as a result. Fabius was...ok. The dichotomy between Terran and Chemosian is nice, though, and one of the better parts of the book. If only there were more pages! Negative points for not actually showcasing Akurduana, whom I was really hoping to see, but at least he is given reference a few times. I would also have liked to see Eidolon present, before his rise to the top.

The star of the show, however, was not Fulgrim, but the Primary Iterator/Ambassador named Pyke. She's clever and feels authentic as a classy yet brutal veteran of the Great Crusade. It's always enjoyable to meet a human character that doesn't feel shoehorned in simply to showcase the inhumanity of the astartes that surround him/her.

Overall, it's a good read. Very predictable though - 'oh look, the guy that was working with them and says things broadly in line with the goals of the secret society is secretly part of the secret society'. The best scene in the book is probably the final chapter, where Fulgrim admits the flaws in his decision making in a discussion with Pyke, showing him to be willing to admit his mistakes and strive to be better.

We all know how that works out.

I would have preferred a little more Legion and less diplomacy, given how little attention the EC get, but the book itself is obviously about Fulgrim and deserves credit for not being just another superman Primarch sort of story...most of the time...although from time to time it's another eye-rolling 'here we go again' sort of Primarch book. It would be nice if Reynolds visits Fulgrim and his character again when we get to the Siege, however briefly - if he, or someone else (obligatory 'Chris Wraight - or Guy Haley I suppose given Fulgrim's appearance in Dark Imperium - pls save [x] Legion post') can tie together this with other less favourable depictions, that would be great for the character.

TLDR: If you go in expecting a masterclass like Haley's Perturabo, you'll be disappointed. It's not that good. But if you go in expecting a decent book about a Primarch that is designed to showcase that Primarch's capabilities, and glean a few little nuggets on how the Legion adapted to its Primarch and how their unique 'giant :cuss' mentality comes about, although notably many of the characters are already giant :cusss at this point, I think it's a pretty good read and certainly prefaces Fulgrim/Angel Exterminatus quite well. For long-suffering EC fans, it's a must, and Reynolds deserves credit for his attention to detail with relation to FW's lore and earlier depictions of the Legion. Shoutout to (the best of my knowledge) the first in-book depiction of the 'infamous' Cyrius.

Finished it. Overall an enjoyable read, although I was disappointed in places by the predictability of the plot and the lack of character building. The page limit likely didn't help things.

General spoilers/thoughts

Without going into too many specifics, this novel details the first compliance action undertaken by Fulgrim and his Emperor's Children on their own. Various forces in the Imperium, and his own brothers, believe that the Third Legion are not yet ready to go out on their own. Fulgrim allows his pride to get the better of him and claims he can bring a whole world (Twenty-Eight One, named Byzas) to compliance in under a month in the most efficient manner possible - without resorting to unleashing his Legion. He obviously succeeds, although not everything goes as planned.

Byzas is a world on the edge of slipping into darkness, with her grasp of technology (and the government's grasp on society) rapidly deteriorating. The monarch is willing to accept compliance in order to cement his reign, and that of his children, while many other aristocratic families squabble for power. There is also a secret society that chases a utilitarian pro-betterment of fellow man type goal nutters, that Fulgrim clashes with and regretfully destroys, despite their similar aims. At one point they trap him in a room with a functioning nuclear weapon, and for some reason he happens to have experience disarming nuclear weapons thanks to his time with Ferrus (lol) after massacring all of the people left to stop him.

What the book does well is detail the power of a Primarch, but it's nothing really new. We've seen the effect Primarchs have on humans and other marines time and time again, but Reynolds does do it admittedly well. The Fulgrim of this novel is more believable than his role in Fulgrim and Angel Exterminatus, and I think this is the best showing he's ever received, but that doesn't really say much because both the Phoenician and his Legion are underappreciated and underutilised. It's a must read for any EC fans.

There are marines in the book, mainly drawn from the FW: Betrayal & Massacre books, which I loved - it's something Wraight does, dragging names out of the art and putting them into the wider lore, which is just fantastic and really makes it fun working through the FW books and seeing which characters you've seen where - but they don't get much time to themselves, and many of them feel rather generic as a result. Fabius was...ok. The dichotomy between Terran and Chemosian is nice, though, and one of the better parts of the book. If only there were more pages! Negative points for not actually showcasing Akurduana, whom I was really hoping to see, but at least he is given reference a few times. I would also have liked to see Eidolon present, before his rise to the top.

The star of the show, however, was not Fulgrim, but the Primary Iterator/Ambassador named Pyke. She's clever and feels authentic as a classy yet brutal veteran of the Great Crusade. It's always enjoyable to meet a human character that doesn't feel shoehorned in simply to showcase the inhumanity of the astartes that surround him/her.

Overall, it's a good read. Very predictable though - 'oh look, the guy that was working with them and says things broadly in line with the goals of the secret society is secretly part of the secret society'. The best scene in the book is probably the final chapter, where Fulgrim admits the flaws in his decision making in a discussion with Pyke, showing him to be willing to admit his mistakes and strive to be better.

We all know how that works out.

I would have preferred a little more Legion and less diplomacy, given how little attention the EC get, but the book itself is obviously about Fulgrim and deserves credit for not being just another superman Primarch sort of story...most of the time...although from time to time it's another eye-rolling 'here we go again' sort of Primarch book. It would be nice if Reynolds visits Fulgrim and his character again when we get to the Siege, however briefly - if he, or someone else (obligatory 'Chris Wraight - or Guy Haley I suppose given Fulgrim's appearance in Dark Imperium - pls save [x] Legion post') can tie together this with other less favourable depictions, that would be great for the character.

TLDR: If you go in expecting a masterclass like Haley's Perturabo, you'll be disappointed. It's not that good. But if you go in expecting a decent book about a Primarch that is designed to showcase that Primarch's capabilities, and glean a few little nuggets on how the Legion adapted to its Primarch and how their unique 'giant :cuss' mentality comes about, although notably many of the characters are already giant :cusss at this point, I think it's a pretty good read and certainly prefaces Fulgrim/Angel Exterminatus quite well. For long-suffering EC fans, it's a must, and Reynolds deserves credit for his attention to detail with relation to FW's lore and earlier depictions of the Legion. Shoutout to (the best of my knowledge) the first in-book depiction of the 'infamous' Cyrius.

sounds like what i've been waiting for re fulgrim's characterisation

my favourite bit of this was fulgrim talking with fabio, who i assume is THE fabio. about time BL tried out cross over fiction

• 1 month later...

Got this now the ebook is on wider release and it's good so far. You get to see the positive aspects of Fulgrim, like his sincere concern for his legionaries and his occasionally semi-egalitarian views. It's been hinted at before in his defence of Chemosian recruits against the wishes of the imperial hierarchy but it's repeatedly emphasised that he came from a world of factories and hive-workers and had his sympathetic outlook shaped by that. He remembers the sting of a riot cop's shock baton from street brawls, before he rose to power. He knows his adoptive parents were far from perfect, 'just' worn-down factory serfs, but he says that they did their best.

On Byzas and in general he looks out for the interests of 'the masses' where other primarchs don't. It runs parallel to an eagerness to work with and embrace the culture of Terran aristocracy and the native aristocracy on Byzas, so it's not like he's a secret socialist. It's hard to unpick his idealism from his narcissism, so much of it is about proving himself and proving the worth of the EC in the eyes of his brothers and the wider imperium. When he talks about the losses of his legionaries, it wavers between sorrow that they died unnecessarily and frustration that something so inefficient and inelegant could be allowed to happen.

The writing nicely undercuts the positive portrayal by plainly depicting Fulgrim's pettiness and tendency towards melodrama or ostentation. There's a very dry moment right at the start where Fulgrim is described on the flagship as wearing simple robes of white and purple with a cloak of feathers and gold, which it notes "he considered appropriately subdued attire".:teehee: 

Or when he leaps from a rooftop to a fleeing airship full of insurrectionists, he is nearly as concerned about the prospect of falling and embarrassing himself as injury. In fairness this is in the context of overawing the upper class of the world he is trying to win through diplomacy, so it makes pragmatic sense, but it still digs into his character.

There's also a nice bit on Russ, a worthwhile reminder that primarchs are primarchs, even those that Fulgrim thinks of as "mangy, flea-infested barbarian":

"Russ thought he was being clever when he suggested I take command of the Twenty-Eighth Expedition. Twenty-eight being a positive integer that is equal to the sum of its proper divisors. Mathematically perfect.’ He laughed softly. ‘I would have expected that suggestion from Ferrus, or maybe even Horus, but never Russ. He has hidden depths, that one."

Got this now the ebook is on wider release and it's good so far. You get to see the positive aspects of Fulgrim, like his sincere concern for his legionaries and his occasionally semi-egalitarian views. It's been hinted at before in his defence of Chemosian recruits against the wishes of the imperial hierarchy but it's repeatedly emphasised that he came from a world of factories and hive-workers and had his sympathetic outlook shaped by that. He remembers the sting of a riot cop's shock baton from street brawls, before he rose to power. He knows his adoptive parents were far from perfect, 'just' worn-down factory serfs, but he says that they did their best.

On Byzas and in general he looks out for the interests of 'the masses' where other primarchs don't. It runs parallel to an eagerness to work with and embrace the culture of Terran aristocracy and the native aristocracy on Byzas, so it's not like he's a secret socialist. It's hard to unpick his idealism from his narcissism, so much of it is about proving himself and proving the worth of the EC in the eyes of his brothers and the wider imperium. When he talks about the losses of his legionaries, it wavers between sorrow that they died unnecessarily and frustration that something so inefficient and inelegant could be allowed to happen.

The writing nicely undercuts the positive portrayal by plainly depicting Fulgrim's pettiness and tendency towards melodrama or ostentation. There's a very dry moment right at the start where Fulgrim is described on the flagship as wearing simple robes of white and purple with a cloak of feathers and gold, which it notes "he considered appropriately subdued attire".:teehee:

Or when he leaps from a rooftop to a fleeing airship full of insurrectionists, he is nearly as concerned about the prospect of falling and embarrassing himself as injury. In fairness this is in the context of overawing the upper class of the world he is trying to win through diplomacy, so it makes pragmatic sense, but it still digs into his character.

There's also a nice bit on Russ, a worthwhile reminder that primarchs are primarchs, even those that Fulgrim thinks of as "mangy, flea-infested barbarian":

"Russ thought he was being clever when he suggested I take command of the Twenty-Eighth Expedition. Twenty-eight being a positive integer that is equal to the sum of its proper divisors. Mathematically perfect.’ He laughed softly. ‘I would have expected that suggestion from Ferrus, or maybe even Horus, but never Russ. He has hidden depths, that one."

Yeah 100% agree above. I enjoyed this one alot, I personally love the peacock Fulgrim. It is not hard to imagine his fall when reading this one, it definitely conveys his insecurity at being younger legion whose accomplishments are not as tallied as the SoH or UMs. I think this deep rooted insecurity along with his obvious pride sets up his downfall nicely. I honestly was not a fan of the first Fabius book but this one is very good which shows Reynold's ability to write good EC.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a pity that Fulgrim's brand of nobility has not been explored more...

Petty

Preening

Arrogant

He has basically been portrayed as an amped up version of Lucius. Such a shame.

yeah, i expected fulgrim by mcneill to be a lot more like haley's perturabo novel. as it is, fulgrim's downfall is one of the few that i prefer the IA version over the BL 

I thought this was the best BL book of 2017 and the best of the Primarch series. Instead of non stop bolter porn you get a good in depth look at Fulgrim. I wish we had seen more of interior EC politics, structure and how their drive for perfection became a religious like obsession but we did not get that. In all honesty the timeline of when the book was set pretty much negates that: we are giving the EC not too long after Fulgrim shows up but before the genesmiths are able to really restock their numbers greatly.

That means the hallmarks of the EC we know from previous HH novels/fluff has not come into being yet. You get a Fulgrim eager to show he can contribute to the Great Crusade on his own even with greatly diminished numbers. He promises to bring a world into compliance with only six or seven Astartes and to do it within a month. I don't want to give spoilers but you can probably guess if he succeeds or not.

In the pursuit of that goal we see Fulgrim at his best and worst: he is a working man's hero from Chemos that came from "parents" of worker stock that were part of a system that was broken. Fulgrim brought his world peace and a better way to live. He had to do it by being ruthless and with a complete and utter confidence in his vision. He did things he regretted (wiping out nomadic swordsmen who he respected and I might add contributed their swordplay to the EC training) but he saw it as the ends justifying the means.

I can't remember how many times he told one of the central characters that "idealism only goes so far, it does not matter to me who rules this world as long as they do it under me".  Fulgrim the working man's hero of Chemos did not care if the patricians or the plebeians ran the world as long as it obeyed him. His arrogance at "conquering" a world with so few is offset by his own wish to try and complete as bloodless compliance as possible. It is easy to focus on the arrogant parts of Fulgrim's character in this novel but it is also just to talk about his better humors.

This book lays early foundations of why Slaanesh in particular would appeal to Fulgrim. Slaanesh offers one of the easiest paths to corruption: revel in pleasure, pain and experience. It is an egalitarian paradise because it is open to all regardless of status. Fulgrim the Illuminator of Chemos would find much in that to agree with.

I greatly enjoyed the novel. I hope we can get another one of Fulgrim and the EC before the HH novel "Fulgrim" in the timeline. You can see Fulgrim's frantic need to prove himself against his "older brothers" and how that has spread to his surviving sons trying to prove themselves to him. I'd love to see a further exploration of this cult of perfection and how it spread in the 3rd Legion. If you have read the HH book betrayal you know how utterly exemplary the EC were regarded by not just the Imperium at large but by the other Legions. We need to see them outdoing the other Legions at their own game. We need to see the pinnacle of the Legion as we already have their great fall.