Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Drug-Crazed Psychic Vampire Space Elves & Other Strangeness

Dark Eldar Harlequins Craftworld Eldar

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Calyptra

Calyptra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts
  • Faction: Dark Eldar

This is a plog for my various Eldar.

I fell in love with the Dark Eldar when they were first released, and have been more or less obsessed with them ever since. The Dark Eldar are my passion project.

I've always been fascinated by Harlequins. I also make my meager living as a circus performer (yes, really), so there's that.

The Craftworlders are a side project. My True Kin don't hang out with Craftworlders, because they think Craftworlders are whiny idiots.

I'm going to start with my Covenites, the Cycle of Dust Coven. I made the bases using crackle paint and green stuff.

gOt2kJk.jpg

xgzDfXX.jpg

mi3DjDm.jpg

Tr5Blpi.jpg

I love ossefactors, because when you shoot people with them, they bonesplode. Shouting "Bonesplosion!" is one of the great joys of my life.

ckIywez.jpg

ENDgDUL.jpg

DQDDtei.jpg

FqMgvVE.jpg

I designed the Dust Cyclers' sigil based on the recycling arrows.

h4sI0C7.jpg

The freehand designs are based on diagrams of the human nervous system.

F9p2zNt.jpg

QpdGYDb.jpg

OQOzdNL.jpg

cuoIiUv.jpg

Group shot including the optional hexrifle Acothyst (which is why there are 6 models arranged around a vehicle that can only embark 5).

FRGK19x.jpg

That's the first squad. At some point I want to go back and make some magnetized Wracks to hang on the sides of the Venoms, to show when a unit is embarked on them. I also want to make crashed versions of my Venoms to replace the models with when they get wrecked. Unfortunately, I feel like I need to focus on just getting more units painted first. People in my area don't want to play small games, and I don't want to play with a lot of unpainted models, so that means I don't get to play very often.

Edited by Calyptra, 07 July 2017 - 02:21 AM.

• Honda, Sgt. Blank, KBA and 24 others like this
ETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Xenos_DrukarETL_VI_Badge_Artisan.jpggallery_30308_9518_10445.pnggallery_30308_9518_5763.png
My project logs:
Drug-Crazed Space Elves
Stupid Humans
You can find me on Instagram twice! Hobby stuff and art/circus stuff

GrandMagnus

GrandMagnus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,322 posts
  • Faction:

Awesome man, love the patterns on the flyer and the cult icon. Dark Eldar have always been a cool army.

• Calyptra likes this

gallery_30308_9518_6104.pngETL_2016_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment.jpgETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_Medal_03.gif

If you want to see my minis, look me up on instagram under the name Manta_Man_Miniatures. Fantasy, 40k and historical minis :)

CardinalVirtue

CardinalVirtue

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,108 posts
  • Faction: The Raven Order
Man, wrecks are one of those units that visually embody 40k and you're doing them justice. Many grimdarks.
  • Calyptra likes this

abadizzle

abadizzle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 244 posts
Whoa, I love the super high-contrast on the flesh! Really neat bases too! Those models have got to look FANTASTIC on the battlefield... So... Paint more and get em on there! ...talos anytime in the near future?
  • Calyptra likes this

Calyptra

Calyptra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts

Thank you!

I was actually pretty nervous about starting this project log on Bolter & Chainsword. I'm ok with people not liking my models (though they tend not to leave comments), and I think constructive criticism can be extremely helpful; I was worried about a "we don't want your kind here" reaction. I know that not everyone agreed with the decision to allow Xenos content on the forum. I've seen some people already posting Xenos models, but I think this might be the first dedicated Xenos project log in the Forge. So I appreciate the kind words.

There's definitely more! I just didn't want to stuff a million photos in the first post. For my Covenites, I have a full Scalpel Squadron (two units of Wracks in Venoms) and a Haemonculus painted, and a converted second Haemonculus, Cronos, and magnetized Talos awaiting paint. It takes me about 10 hours to paint each Wrack, so it's slow going. At the moment, I'm supposed to be working on my classic range Wych Cult, though I confess that I've been distracted by my Howling Griffons lately.

Here's the finished Haemonculus.

Before paint.

cao9wfz.jpg

sydKn0L.jpg

I really like the sculpt on this model, but there were two problems. First, the model is supported on a pipe and other detritus which have no business protruding from my flat, barren, lifeless bases, so that had to go. That meant I needed to figure out another way to keep the whole model from snapping off at the prehensile spine. The second problem is that however much I may like the sculpt, it still has the misfortune of being cast in the nightmare of stupid that is finecast.

And that's why I converted a Haemonculus with liquifier, flesh gauntlet, and melee weapon into a Haemonculus with liquifier, flesh gauntlet, and melee weapon.

The worst part was, after I did this conversion, the stupid resin sagged, leaving the model leaning to one side. I should probably be relieved that I hadn't painted it yet. I heated and straightened it, then used greenstuff to extend his coat onto the support bone, so hopefully his spine won't go flaccid again.

I'm not touching a model made from this garbage again until I inevitably start to forget how awful it is, and then the cycle can begin anew. Or maybe I'll just smash the next one with a hammer. We'll see.

After paint. I spent 31 hours painting this model.

P39lllt.jpg

6J0AFzl.jpg

dbeEm1q.jpg

WaCqvZS.jpg

DHoYDsB.jpg

Much of the vein work is based on actual anatomy (though certainly not all - he is an alien, after all). The glyphs on his coat came from my unused designs for the Coven sigil.

And here's the other Haemonculus, still awaiting paint.

XjvuzPn.jpg

v5j632B.jpg

When I did this, you could give a Haemonculus two stinger pistols. I'm quite happy with the effect, but in the Index it says that you have to give up a ranged weapon to take a selection from the list, so apparently this is no longer a legal model. (Neither are my Acothysts, such as the guy with the hexrifle in my previous post, because they do not come with a ranged weapon to give up, even though they and Haemonculi are the only two models with access to the Tools of Torment weapon list. There's definitely a mistake somewhere - Acothysts are clearly intended to be allowed hexrifles etc - but I don't know if my gunslinger Haemonculus will be permitted if/when that gets sorted.)

• Honda, Canardwc, The Nephilim and 14 others like this
ETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Xenos_DrukarETL_VI_Badge_Artisan.jpggallery_30308_9518_10445.pnggallery_30308_9518_5763.png
My project logs:
Drug-Crazed Space Elves
Stupid Humans

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,290 posts
Outstanding work! :tu:
  • Calyptra likes this

Draakur

Draakur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,644 posts
  • Faction: The Desolators
Killer stuff! I'm very out of touch with what the DE options are these days but these all look fantastic. There's more, yes? :)
  • Calyptra likes this
... A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men...

Honda

Honda

++ HOSTICUS PLAUSTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,392 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Brilliant models and painting.

Also remember this for your "not legal" model, "Counts As" is your friend.

• Calyptra likes this

gallery_15184_7227_34669.jpg

"All those rumors about us being intolerant and stubborn really just evolved from our history. We're actually just a fun bunch of guys who enjoy burning witches" - Anon

Shard of Magnus

Shard of Magnus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 149 posts
  • Faction: Drukhari, Imperial Fists
Beautiful job on the models. The photography is great too! I'm usually viewing the site from my phone and the details and colors gradients are easy to see.

Did you freehand the Dust Cyclers' sigil?
  • Calyptra likes this

ETL_VI_Banner_02_Oathbraker_.jpg

Calyptra

Calyptra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts

There's more, yes? smile.png

Oh yes. :)

Did you freehand the Dust Cyclers' sigil?

I did. :) I don't like using transfers, so I freehand everything.

My project logs:
Drug-Crazed Space Elves
Stupid Humans

Brother Aiwass

Brother Aiwass

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,717 posts
  • Faction: [REDACTED]

This is so good, I can't even. Please, bring more pain to the boards!

gallery_33122_7839_9820.pnggallery_33122_7839_16895.pngheader-blog.jpg

CrimsonCorvidae

CrimsonCorvidae

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens

When I've finished my current army (sometime in the distant future), I've been giving some serious consideration to starting a Haemonculi Coven. I'll be coming here for inspiration, so keep them coming!

Mr Yellow

Mr Yellow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 669 posts

At some point I want to go back and make some magnetized Wracks to hang on the sides of the Venoms, to show when a unit is embarked on them.

That's a flipping excellent idea, considered it pinched.

Cheers
LM

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,526 posts
Nice to finally see a "pure" Xenos log in the Forge! And it doesn't disappoint. The freehand on the Haemonculus' skin cloak is especially impressive. Keep up the good work. :tu:

+ ETL VI Oathbreaker +

"Suffer not the Heretic to live."

Kyknos of Athena

Kyknos of Athena

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 706 posts
  • Faction: Twilight Wardens

Cool  freehands! Like it much more than those standard tribal things.

formerly: LordVelype

"I am starting to find you rather hot, mortal... wub.gif "

Shewhothirsts, to Kyknos of Athena

Part of the War of Light AU-project: XVIIIth Legion Dreadspears

IA: Twilight Wardens

El_Dicko

El_Dicko

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 188 posts
Incredible!

FlakMonkey

FlakMonkey

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 77 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Really great work. makes me miss my dark eldar army :( 
Can't wait to see more. 

a wip of my iron warriors if you're interested :P http://www.bolterand...d-extra-stufff/

Sagentus

Sagentus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,353 posts

AWESOME!!!! really like DE, I think they will be next on my list 

Calyptra

Calyptra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts

Some minor green stuff work I did on the Wracks.

2eynAfX.jpg

Vff1jah.jpg

xbbLx9O.jpg

The second Wracks cell. I gave them each a double line along the bottom of their skirts to distinguish them from the first cell.

Nkc5Jqx.jpg

FvuMiON.jpg

PZERm6n.jpg

dNvYceS.jpg

SBERael.jpg

ySPrczO.jpg

Eventually I want to make a hexrifle Acothyst for this squad as well, partly for symmetry and partly because I think hexrifles are awesome. I haven't yet because, despite having awesome looks and lore, the hexrifle has had decidedly not awesome rules since the 7th ed codex. Not that I would let that stop me, but it does effect how I prioritize.

I apparently forgot to take a WIP shot of it, but I did a fair amount of conversion work on the Venom in order to ensure that it and its twin did not have identical trophies mounted in identical places.

qidQMK6.jpg

Qvx36rO.jpg

umLoPFN.jpg

5R0ZYDD.jpg

And here's the complete Scalpel Squadron.

d54kK0i.jpg

That's it for now for my Coven. I have a Talos and Cronos ready for paint, and I intend to add a third, larger cell of Wracks, either with a Raider or on foot. (Which is weird! Wracks specifically do occasionally walk, and it looks like pedestrian Wracks might be a reasonable choice in 8th ed, but having a Dark Eldar unit walk still feels wrong.)

You may have noticed the conspicuous absence of Grotesques. I don't have a unit of Grotesques because there is only a single, monopose, finecast model for them. If you go to The Dark City, the Dark Eldar community forums, you'll find that literally none of them use the official model for their Grotesques. There are a few standardized conversions that people use instead - the most common is Vampire Counts Crypt Horrors with bits from the Talos/Cronos kit - and they're fine, but they're not what I want my Grotesques to look like. (Among other things, it is very important to me that Covenite models be corseted.) When I get around to making mine, it will involve a massive amount of sculpting work, and I'm kind of afraid of it. I'm kind of hoping that if I put it off long enough, if I do the rest of my planned Coven stuff first (Talos, Cronos, a couple more Haemonculi, one or two Raiders, and a third cell of Wracks) GW will release a plastic Grotesques kit and save me the trouble. This is a problematic strategy because I also categorically assume that GW will never release anything else for the Dark Eldar ever again. I do that so I'm not constantly disappointed and am occasionally pleasantly surprised. It's one of my coping mechanisms. (The other one is whiskey.)

• Draakur, Brother Aiwass, Grotsmasha and 7 others like this
My project logs:
Drug-Crazed Space Elves
Stupid Humans

GrandMagnus

GrandMagnus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,322 posts
  • Faction:

Really love your dark eldar, which come to think of it I need to try to paint some myself one day. Again, great paintjob on all of these.

gallery_30308_9518_6104.pngETL_2016_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment.jpgETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_Medal_03.gif

If you want to see my minis, look me up on instagram under the name Manta_Man_Miniatures. Fantasy, 40k and historical minis :)

The Traitor

The Traitor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,320 posts
  • Faction: Harvesters of Souls
Awesome HC, stellar work all around! The freehand is awesome of course, but I really like the tortured look you've given to the flesh. About the grotesques, go for it! For me that kind of challenging conversions are the ones that really make you improve your skills and making fleshy monsters full of weapons of torture just seems like a huge deal of fun :P!

RnkaNVt.jpgvwZTGE7.pngLwxnpOd.jpgs35PkeL.gifo42xtHt.jpg

They rose from the dead to slay the living:

The Harvesters of Souls, the II Legion and their various allies.

The Grimdark Harvest, my hobby and commissions blog, and a thread here, in B&C.

Calyptra

Calyptra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts

Next up are Harlequins.

I've always loved Harlequins. I had a small Harlequin army that I played back in 2nd ed, though it was stolen along with my first Dark Eldar army in 2001 or thereabouts. Today I make my living (ish) in circus, so if anything I feel more of a connection to the Laughing God than ever. I've painted two of the new Harlequins so far.

I decided to use elements of Art Nouveau on these models for reasons that honestly escape me now, probably because of getting hit in the head a lot, but I suspect the reason was "Because it would be cool."

The Solitaire.

rLQK0j6.jpg

UFvv2SD.jpg

D0iRWJi.jpg

Grz7zdt.jpg

avTvZZQ.jpg

Solitaires are supposed to blend in with the troupe, or wander incognito. I wanted the model to evoke She Who Thirsts, but also look like they could go unnoticed amidst the spectacle of the troupe; I also wanted the model to have sense of austerity and concealed darkness. (Yes, I just used the word "austerity" to describe a model I painted bright pink.) That's why I stuck largely with solid colors, with just a simple line pattern around the edges, and why everything concealed beneath that pink coat is black and white.

And here's my Death Jester.

DNv20YN.jpg

2zzPEPt.jpg

1tPdrbg.jpg

AV0EE2e.jpg

S8IJ2hO.jpg

DUnvEVy.jpg

Again, being a Death Jester, I tried to keep him relatively restrained. I wanted him to be more ornamental than the Solitaire, but I didn't want it all jumping out at you right away, because Death Jester. I'm rather proud of the stripes to diamonds transition on his legs, and the Art Nouveau halo design on his collar. I tried to use a mix of Craftworld (bone, gems) and Commorite (bronze, gold) elements on his shrieker cannon.

The next time I decide to spend a month or more painting a Harlequin, it'll probably be a Shadowseer. It will be the first one I really cut loose on - as opposed to these "austere," "restrained" Harlequins - which should be fun, or a disaster, or both.

"'No. Stop. Don't go in there. You'll all be killed,' Motley murmured sardonically."

• Kurgan the Lurker, Draakur, Eberious and 19 others like this
My project logs:
Drug-Crazed Space Elves
Stupid Humans

Brother Aiwass

Brother Aiwass

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,717 posts
  • Faction: [REDACTED]

Both of them are superb, and even I like the solitaire more, the smiley badge on the jester is just amazing.

gallery_33122_7839_9820.pnggallery_33122_7839_16895.pngheader-blog.jpg

Brother Dallo

Brother Dallo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,281 posts
  • Faction: Angels Encarmine

Some really impressive work here.

Keep it up.

Dallo

• Razed_Ruins likes this

ETL_2014_Banner_V2_03B_Custos_Fidei.jpg 

So yeah, long story short.

Dallo <- Blame that guy.

Obscura, on 08 Mar 2016 

Draakur

Draakur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,644 posts
  • Faction: The Desolators
Talk about great, this is some pretty next level stuff here. So glad you're doing Harlequins, they've always been a pipe dream of mine. A Shadowseer would be AMAZING, please don't hold off!
... A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Eldar, Harlequins, Craftworld Eldar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users