Power v Points (balance issue)

LutherMax

My one major issue with power level is how it devalues items that are cheaper alternatives to better weapons (say, the Big Choppa v the Power Klaw).

I like power level because I like that players - particularly newer players - are able to quickly plonk models on the table and play games, and do so without ending up in a totally one-sided match. Sure, the points won't be completely balanced, but point values have never been perfect either.

I also like giving my models stuff, because I like variety and I think giving my unit leaders weapon upgrades and the like makes the game more characterful and fun. Giving my Acothyst a hexrifle that will almost certainly accomplish nothing all game is not a thing I would do in a pointed game, but I like that with power level I get to (without being punished for it).

I think a lot of it will come down to personal preference.

If nothing else, power level seems less unbalanced than formations were in the previous edition.

Ok, but if two players start the game and one plays some sort of marines and the other plays a non upgrade heavy army they are going to end up with huge point differences between armies. Which can be a big turn off. And if you mention formation they are exactly the same way the "worse" formations were in 7th. they give you option to load up on stuff for free, which you would never be able to run if used normal points. At the same times in puts a penality on the low upgrade armies, just like 7th formations were worse for armies that didn't get ones that were handing out free points.

If all your razorbacks turn from a mix of hvy bolter to all with AC/twin las with extra SB and hunter killer on each one, it is more or less the same thing as getting free points in 7th.

they give you option to load up on stuff for free, which you would never be able to run if used normal points. At the same times in puts a penality on the low upgrade armies, just like 7th formations were worse for armies that didn't get ones that were handing out free points.

If all your razorbacks turn from a mix of hvy bolter to all with AC/twin las with extra SB and hunter killer on each one, it is more or less the same thing as getting free points in 7th.

Yeaaah, but unless you're playing someone who's magnetised everything (and I've only ever met one person in real life who's done that; a chap called Chaos & Evil who had an Elysian army in which at least one officer model was completely magnetised, he'd give it to people so they'd 'break' it; ha ha, tres funny), you simply work with WYSIWYG.

And that stops all that sort of "well these twin heavy bolters are all twin lascannons!" nonsense.

It's just a case of whatever suits your group.  My buddy doesn't love maths so PR is easier for him, and although my numeracy is fine... PR is quicker (It also alows me to write a list on the back of an envelope rather than a double side A4).  I think It also depends on your armies.  My buddy Glued everything with all the bells and whistles on, I magnetized literaly my entire army.  So as we play wysiwyg, in a pts based system I can strip out all the special weapons etc and out spam my opponent and he can't, this way it ain't an issue, we both just load up all the goodies and it makes for a more fun/cinematic game in our opinion.  If was going to do a competive game however, I think pts are better suited, but wouldn't mind PR, I'd just fit out accordingly.

Power seems aimed at gaming groups like my current group, who are mostly former more hardcore minded gamer's now with a very casual attitude to the game, we just want an excuse to buy the army we like, build the kits how we think look cool & have a laugh for a few hours once a week away from the stresses of real life.

The worry about abusing the more open PP system or one of us having an extra advantage really does not factor for us and if we did decide a unit was heavily over or under costed after a number of games, we would quite happily agree on a power adjustment.

I will add if I was still playing strangers or going to random gaming stores then I would probably insist on using the traditional points, as the power system has the potential to be a nightmare in that setting, especially if not using WYSIWYG.