8th Edition Codex

derLumpi

Brothers rejoice, our codex will arrive shortly. 

What do you expect from our new battle tome?

I'm looking forward to our chapter tactics and I do hope that all of our characters will be in including our lord. 

Prior to 8th edition I had hopes for a Victrix guard as a form of bodyguard for our primarch but I don't think that there will be something like that in it.

Special detachments? Possible? 

Vehicle squadrons would be nice but I too have my doubts about it.

What do you guys think?

Edited by derLumpi

I think over time they will be a good choice.  Right now they're too basic and it seems tac squads are more versatile.  I think when we get the rules for Rievers and Agressors, and other unit options for them (I hope...) they will be just fine.

I expect a lot of regurgitated rules. We have the core rules out of the way.... now we get to see how Legion rules break down. If we have re-rolls then I imagine captains become less essential. They said they won't do detachments again so that leaves us with some 'doctrines'. 

The Primaris marines... I've already posted a lot about them and I've used them a lot. I'm not impressed, but a small part of their dysfunction is a result of being very slow which gets fixed with releases of units more than the codex. 

I've thought a lot about this. I don't think the traditional marines seem to be in any threat for 'troops'. Scouts are still very good buys, and are a very strong counter to deployment goofiness. 

What I believe is the stuff in the 2 player box is the hook. You see these great models, start playing 40K and realize you won't get too far unless you get into the myriad of choices beyond Primaris (in the 2 player set)

So my guess is the Primaris that we haven't seen - IE: in the codex, are the ones that will do some real work. We've heard rumour of plasma armed Inceptors which would be very usable, depending on points.

The new LIbby etc looks fine, but Tigurius is in every one of my lists. Good luck beating him Mr.Primaris Libby for that point value!

So I'm expecting Combat Doctrines, perhaps re-hashed Maelstrom cards, maybe collector's sets.

P.S.

I love the Dark Imperium novel though... really hope more comes out of that novel.

Edited by Prot

I'm excited for chapter tactics of course, and I hope that it doesn't simply boil down to stratagems for every chapter. Though it would be cool, and it would act as a reason for everyone to try to build their list towards either having msu troops and command points for stratagems, or elite alpha strike armies. 

Also, I'm a sucker for relics, I hope that we get chapter relics again!!

I would like to have doctrines back for Ultramarines but maybe something a bit different to just rerolls everywhere, something that adds a bonus to an action but also has a drawback.

Maybe each unit of tactical has a once per game "Fury of the legion" type ability so it restricts you to standing still for a turn to use it. Or maybe Devastator units get a "tank/monster hunter" equivalent which removes split fire for the turn it is used.

I think that would really add character and damage output whilst adding in a strategic element.

Edit: oh a different chapter relics back too. The axes of Ultramar on the honour guard are relics in the lore, GW should make them as such in the rules.

Edited by Pr3Mu5

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I can't read any of those rules, so it's mostly a fluffy overview for me, but it's cool. Doesn't look like a lot of the Primaris stuff renders really... any (?) of the marine stuff invalid.

Just hope he isn't killed off because I absolutely love to play the ultramarine everone hates!

So far I feel underwhelmed. Most of the stratagems are nice like scions of guilliman. Not really sold on the relics but shield again is strong.

Maybe I was expecting to much given previous edition power creeps.

Just hope he isn't killed off because I absolutely love to play the ultramarine everone hates!

So far I feel underwhelmed. Most of the stratagems are nice like scions of guilliman. Not really sold on the relics but shield again is strong.

Maybe I was expecting to much given previous edition power creeps.

I am beyond sold on the banner relic.

3+ for a hellblaster or aggressor to shoot when they die?

Sounds great.

Sicarius is lost in the warp. :( That sucks.

While GW may technically maintain two canons(BL and Codex), from what I can read of the image seems to point to the start or the Indomitus crusade, and Sicarius' loss in the warp as the crusade kicked off. 

However, he is present in DI and at the end of the crusade.

Again,could be two canons, but given the likely intention to link novels and official fluff so far, he may not be truly lost after all

Edited by Arctic_Ultra

Oki so I am I'm getting more optimistic. Got the pre order on after seeing a lot of the leaks. Hype levels are rising.

I am looking forward to power armoured lieutenant. Just hope the wargear options are akin to a sergeant.

Ultra trait is refunded cp on 5+. Good when use the chapter master upgrade or relic stratagem.

Now I'm wondering shield eternal for company champion? Teeth of terra for apothecary? Fun times ahead.

Some more Ultramarine specific changes.

Tyrannic War Veterans and the Terminus Ultra are not in the Codex. You need to use the Index rules for them.

Tigurius' Master of Presience ability (-1 to hit rolls) can now be given to a unit within 6". No idea if it affects both him and the unit, we'll need the full wording to confirm one way or another.

Marneus Calgar is 50 points cheaper. Unsure on if that is Artificer Armour or Armour of Antilochus (maybe even both).

Chaplain Cassius has dropped by 40 points.

Sergeant Chronus has dropped by 23 points.

Sergeant Telion has gone up by 14 points.

And because someone will ask, no change to Guilliman's points.

There's lots of other changes too, some good, some bad (very restrictive options on some units/more missing units) but I thought I'd just keep this to Ultramarine specific stuff. Just remember though, this doesn't completely replace the Index. Anything not in here but in the Index is still legal.

Source