The Squats of Inso's Reach (Astra Militarum Squats)

Inso

Please,your Squats deserve rough riders.As Nike says just do it.

No :) .

I'm not building anything that doesn't fall into either Codex Astra Militarum or Codex Space Marines. At some point the index will be withdrawn and I don't have the Krieg books (and have NO interest in DKK anyway) so I would end up with a unit that is only a measure of the time I wasted on it, when I could have been working on something else. 

Maybe in the dim and distant future, I may change my mind but I have a host of other stuff that I am working on and, if they haven't got a place in the big scheme of things, little projects like Rough Riders will fall by the wayside.

Sorry :(

Fair points Inso!  It'd be a shame to spend so much time sculpting a unit like that, only for it to be Squatted! Lol

Anyways, your work is inspiring to me!  You are a very talented sculptor and I'll continue to enjoy looking at your creations as you produce them! 

Cheers :)

I have now primed the dreads:

mGJDH75.jpg

Now that I have got as far as I can with them, I thought I'd see what I could find in the loft and managed to uncover my Bullgryn squad. Only one of them had been converted... and he didn't have any weapons but luckily, I had thought about that earlier and bagged a lot of Bullgryn bits from EBay. With the bits already available, it was merely a case of a bit of sawing, drilling, pinning and gluing and I soon ended up with this:

DTe576Q.jpg

He's a converted, Mantic, Dreadball Ork with GW weapons. He still needs some putty work to fill gaps and sort out a few niggles... but he's pretty much there :) . I have another four sat in a box beside me so I have enough for a squad of five. Tidy :) .

The Bullgryn is on a 40mm base and is 42mm tall (to the tip of his crest). He is less bulky than a standard Bullgryn but is pretty much the same height.

As for the dreads... no paint yet. I need to get some spray paint and I haven't got what I want nearby so it will have to wait until I can stomach paying £9.00 for a courier to deliver it.. :sad.:

EDIT: Scale:

2h3dvlc.jpg

Edited by Inso

• 2 weeks later...

Although not strictly part of this army, I thought I'd put these in here because they match the theme :) . These are going to join the Necromunda Squat (when he gets released and I have bought it) as company and may expand into an army in their own right (not on the scale of the Squats of Inso's Reach though... more a platoon than an army). Anyway... enough chatter:

XOymDpd.jpg

0oB0QsJ.jpg

YZiyGc0.jpg

AblwYXT.jpg

Ichww51.jpg

I have stopped at three for now because I only have enough components for three and don't want to build too many, only to discover that the Forgeworld Squat is bigger/smaller and doesn't match :) .

I've got to say, that's a perfect storm of component-matching there; they still look very obviously like Squats, but with much better proportions than any of the other models that you drew parts from. :D :thumbsup:

That said, going by the size difference to the others in your army, I can see why these are their own separate project! :ph34r.:

• 2 weeks later...

Primaris Squats... Hmmm... :)

It's been a while (commissions and house renovations have kept me busy) but I thought I'd share a Leman Russ Punisher:

UVz9FPC.jpg

It's just base coated at the moment... and those holes in the hull have now been filled :) 

Size-wise, it is the same height, length and width of a Russ so it's a really good little proxy. I added a Centurion lascannon barrel to the hull and built the punisher out of sprue from the kit and a pen :) ... apart from that, I haven't had to convert a thing :) .

The 'mock-up' is destined for the great parking lot in the sky (or it will become a command tank).

These tanks are really cool and I only needed to convert the weapons... so they are relatively little work compared to some things I have tried.

I will be getting 10 of these in total (over a reasonable period of time) so that I can finally have a little tank company :)

I reckon it'll be 3 punishers, 3 plasmas and 3 battle cannons... with the command tank having a long barrelled battle cannon. No sponsons and the hulls will get a mix of lascannons and probably heavy bolters (but maybe heavy flamers).

• 2 weeks later...
... and so it begins again :) . Two more Punishers have arrived:

plRI8fS.jpg

I have the pens, I have the lascannons and I have the sprue for the punisher cannon.

Once they are converted, that will be the first section of the tank company complete. Then another two lots of three and a command tank :) .

i'm excited, any chance of a squat tank commander?

And thanks for the decals link, need me some of those!

edit: Actually just ordered a full pack of turret numbers!

There will be four tank commanders... one leading the company and three leading the squadrons/sections. Only the lead tank will be a tank commander, rules wise... the other three will be there just for show :smile.:

Pleased to have helped with the decals... just be aware that it can take a long time for them to arrive. The decals are good but the service is slow.

Edited by Inso

Just a quick post to show off the second painted tank:

tvtnXB0.jpg

The third tank has been washed and will start this week. It'll be getting a visible tank commander to denote it as a lead tank but he won't be a tank commander, rules wise... he'll just be a normal tank (he'll just have a normal helmet rather than a significantly leader-like hat/helmet).

See? I can paint things occasionally :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was asked about the size of the tanks so here's a pic:

O3GJB3m.jpg

I have also had a delivery of three more of the tanks so they are sitting, waiting for me to finish the third tank, before I start on them.

The third tank is getting there but I am in the process of sculpting a tank commander in the cupola, so it is a bit slow because my sculpting mojo has left me... but I am still 'on-it'... it's just taking a lot more time than hoped.

In other news, I found some plasma coils to fit onto tanks 7-9... but they don't look very plasma-coily at the moment, they look like this:

YjWI2so.jpg

Everything will become clear :o

As for tanks 4-6, they will be getting battle cannons and I have sourced the pens I am going to use for them so it is just a case of finishing tank 3 and then cracking on with the next conversions :) ... hopefully soon :ermm:

I've ordered more transfers... I couldn't wait any longer :)

I will, most certainly, be building a Titan but it will not look like the pictured kit... I plan a radical departure from the original :)

In other news, I have build some plasma cannons for the next three tanks :) :

mJQU58K.jpg

Unfortunately, the weather is slowing me down today because I can't get any spraying done... but that aside, I have managed to assemble everything, ready for spray painting so that's a bonus :) :

k2gQppl.jpg

I have not glued the base, hull, turret top or turret base together because I will need to take them apart for spraying and fitting the wheels :) . Hopefully the plasma-cannons look OK. You can see that the nearest tank has it's top hatch glued open. That is ready for another little tank commander :) .

I have also base-coated the plasma-cannons so they look a little less vibrant ;) .

Now the third tank is finished (apart from the commander and decals) and the first of the plasma-tanks is base-coated, ready for a wash:

dSBdLSn.jpg

Hopefully, the first plasma-tank will be ready for decals by the end of the week... but who knows?