Our Brand is Vengeance - A Primaris Plog

Hey B&C! I did a project log for my HH world eaters and really enjoyed getting the feedback and general motivation is provided for me to keep on top of my hobby game. So, now i'm going to make one for my 40k army. When 8th coming out i decided i wanted to do something new and really loved the primaris models, plus i don't have a loyalist army yet so i figured, why not?

At the same time my buddy is starting a 1k sons army for 8E, so I have envisioned my primaris marines being dispatched to hunt down 1k sons after the battle on luna as a sort of retribution force. I'm going classic 2nd company with a build that has some anti-pysker elements from the assassinorum.

On to the pics!

All blue'd up. I did the red helms on the sargents separately before building them.

gallery_92768_13434_72994.jpg

There is about a mile of edges to highlight on each model, takes me about an hour so i'm liking the results. Quite a bit different from the feel of my heresy world eaters, which were for the most part dry brushed to get a smoother shading gradient. That has a much more bold/dynamic finish than i'm liking. I'm anxious to get one totally done and see how they look, but i'm trying to stick with an assembly line for now...other than the gold on the sarge, couldn't resist!

gallery_92768_13434_21663.jpg

gallery_92768_13434_33379.jpg

The second model went a little more smoothly and i'm liking the results more each time i see it.

gallery_92768_13434_31420.jpg

gallery_92768_13434_88183.jpg

Haven't decided on whether to do black or brown for the leather parts. I have been able to paint brown leather better than black leather in the past, but i like the look of the black from the box art.

Stay tuned for more updates! From an army buildout stand point i'm going to add the two primaris characters that were just released and the dreadnaught and hover tank. Other than that i'm going to wait for the codex and take a look and all the offerings, but i imagine i'll be getting all the primaris models.

Anytime you put brush to model it turns out awesome. I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure. :thumbsup:

Thanks man! Soon they'll be ready to dispense the emperor's mercy to your filthy xenos.

Looking awesome. Even though they are Ultra Marines Can't wait to see more

Thank you!

I do like how you've kept the 2nd edition blue, but with golden trims rather than yellow. Very nice!

Thanks! The blue i'm using is good old macragge blue with a nuln oil shade and calgar blue highlights. The gold is retributor armor and will be finished with reikland flesh and liberator gold for highlights. Its kind of fun to look at the shoulder pad on the sargent compared ot the shoulders on my world eaters. Both use macragge blue, but the world eaters have an initial highlight of altdorf followed by calgar, and the gold in balthazar gold, so it ends up looking quite a bit darker overall even though its the same base color.

I got two more done yesterday, one more and i'll move on to the next step. I'm thinking the next step will be very sparse fenris grey highlights on the armor and the gold bits.

gallery_92768_13434_24378.jpg

These are looking awesome. :)

I went for brown leather with mine for the same reason as i find it quicker and easier than black, but then saw the Rievers and realised brown won't really work as well for them.

And Fenrisian Grey spot highlights would be cool.

What's your red recipe for the helmets? Is that Wild Rider Red?

Gorgeous Blue - if thats Macragge Blue, did you undercoat White first? It really pops

With this project i am attempting to do it exactly* as Duncan did it in his guide, so i started off spraying the macragge blue over bare plastic.  The six intercessors that are on the holding pots along with the inceptors were done this way.  What i found was that i had a hard time getting the macragge spray into some of the recesses.  So with all of the others i did an undercoat of chaos black before the macragge spray. 

*With one exception, i still prefer to do an all over wash followed by reapplication of the base color rather than just recess shading.  As a result, i don't expect there to be a difference between the models that have black underneath and those with just the bare plastic...there is a lot of straight macragge blue over top of both.

These are looking awesome. :smile.:

I went for brown leather with mine for the same reason as i find it quicker and easier than black, but then saw the Rievers and realised brown won't really work as well for them.

And Fenrisian Grey spot highlights would be cool.

What's your red recipe for the helmets? Is that Wild Rider Red?

The red is mephiston red -> carroburg crimson wash -> reapplication of mephiston red -> evil sunz scarlet highlights -> wild rider red on the corners of the top vent and top of the "nose" part

• 2 weeks later...

Took a vacation last week so didn't get much done, got back to it over the weekend. Finished up the highlights on the first intercessor squad and started in on the gold.

Here is a comparison of the highlights before and after the fenrisian grey layer (left).

gallery_92768_13434_1157581.jpg

gallery_92768_13434_386024.jpg

All 5 with some shiny new gold bits!

gallery_92768_13434_1944866.jpg

gallery_92768_13434_880887.jpg

If you are going for a 2nd edition aesthetic, please make the weapons red!!!

I am semi-ashamed to admit that i'm not familiar with the 2E aesthetic, lol.  I was planning on black weapons, but maybe a really dark red, like khorne red, would be pretty cool too.  Hmmm...

If you are going for a 2nd edition aesthetic, please make the weapons red!!!

I am semi-ashamed to admit that i'm not familiar with the 2E aesthetic, lol.  I was planning on black weapons, but maybe a really dark red, like khorne red, would be pretty cool too.  Hmmm...

To give you an idea:

http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/Ultra/ultra1.jpg

Tossed on the decals and now the first unit of my ultramarines army is complete!

I had made extensive use of decals in my heresy world eaters army, but i have never applied them to shoulder pads (had just used the sculpted FW legion shoulders for every model)...goddamn! what a pain in the ass they are! Took a few practice swings to get the process down, but the end result isn't bad. I might do a little blue sponging on them to cover up some of the imperfections with weathering later on.

gallery_92768_13434_514394.jpg

gallery_92768_13434_382733.jpg

gallery_92768_13434_433655.jpg

and in their natural habitat...

gallery_92768_13434_555213.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived