Losing my man cave

ImNegan

So a new child is soon to arrive and the man cave is going. I need ideas for some sort of locking desk I can have in the lounge or elsewhere as there will be no room I can dedicate to hobby stuff being left out. But it needs to be safe from a nosey 4 year old!! Any one on here have similar problems or ideas?? (Also please forgive if this is the wrong forum)

So a new child is soon to arrive and the man cave is going. ... But it needs to be safe from a nosey 4 year old!! ...

Congratulations on your successful adoption of an older child. Model citizenship.

You might have some success with a 'roll top desk' and some pad-locks?

My 5y/o is well educated in what is daddies and what she can and can't do in regards my things. Paint brushes are accessible for tiny hands if she needs them and everything else is away. She knows not to use the knives or clippers and she knows not to go in the "hobby room" without me.

Just teach the wee sprite and all will be grand

I use a wardrobe style computer desk. So essentially it's a double door wardrobe but when you open the doors it has shelves, a pull out desk and loads of storage.

It takes up the space of a wardrobe but means when you finish painting you can just close the doors and all your stuff is packed away.

Pretty sure you could just put a lock on it.

I was very lucky and got mine second hand for about £150 (the one I have is usually about £300) but sure you could get one cheaper than that or could just convert a wardrobe if you're any good at DIY?

I have a desk in our living room after I lost my man cave. There is a cabinet beneath my desk with 4 drawers and I secured those drawers with those tings. They are very hard to open. So this might be an option you can look into.

4010355237484-999744_org.png

My son knows that the desk is off limits but well he is young and he looks at my marines and those knights and says "This is your Lego!" :)

Get some large plastic storage container boxes, throw some sachets of desiccant (silica) in them and store them somewhere like a garage, crawl space, store room, larder, cellar

in one of them keep tools, (themselves in a toolbox within it) and paints,

whip out paint station when needed, after they've been put down, I mean, sorry, put to bed, Freudian slip, assembly can be done on any work surface, like a dining table, coffee table, kitchen breakfast bar, always place a towel/microfibre cloth underneath cutting mat (or at least at the edges, and hopefully a smaller duster sized one on your lap), to prevent skidding/scattering of off cuts and losing small pieces (you do not want small person ingesting them, NOR may I add do you want to dissemble a vacuum cleaner every week looking for that volkite pistol, you KNOW you had, but some other adult diligently hoovered, I lost the CCTV camera from the Moritat's backpack twice due to this), as well as to protect said surface from superglue splurts

use caps for craft knives and put drill bits back in boxes asap

a full set up with things lying everywhere never lasts long with smaller mammals

Edited by D3L

I have an old tv cabinet which holds board games and my boxes of models (when they aren't sitting in the trunk of my car) and my modeling toolkit.  I also have a small collapsible table I can store out of the way, and a magnifying desktop lamp to give light and an extra close look when my failing eyes are having a hard time.

Thanks for all the advice guys, some very good ideas. Biggest take away is definitely don't get a possessed cat! :biggrin.:

Could be tough; as they say, with cats God designed the body and Satan designed the mind.  All felines seem to have some level of daemonic possession, is what I'm saying . . . :devil:

Thanks for all the advice guys, some very good ideas. Biggest take away is definitely don't get a possessed cat! :biggrin.:

Could be tough; as they say, with cats God designed the body and Satan designed the mind.  All felines seem to have some level of daemonic possession, is what I'm saying . . . :devil:

Pretty much.  One of the advantages of a dog is that they don't jump up on to tables.  One of the advantages of a fish is that they don't get on the furniture.  One of the advantages of a plant is you don't have to worry about changing the tank.  One of the advantages of a silk plant is that you don't have to water it. 

If you already got a desk with closable cabinets, you can either get one of those kid proof locks for cabinets (like to keep them from rooting around the sink) or a couple of taught rubber bands to keep them from being opened.

Avoid putting stuff up high so they can see it, but you are a parent already so you shouldn't be a potato regarding that stuff.

I use a writing bureau – it's an attractive piece of furniture that takes up relatively little space and can be closed and locked. The top folds down into a desk with pigeonholes (useful for paints, brushes, clippers etc.) and the base has a number of drawers, which should make it ideal. 

Congratulations on the new addition :)

As the family has grown my hobby space has drastically reduced.

I had a hobby room that was the biggest room in the house ... Now it's our bedroom and the lads are sharing our old room. The box room became my hobby room.

Now the box room will become the youngest ones bedroom. My hobby stuff is balanced ontop of anywhere high or in cupboards out of the way. There's a risky set of GWS boxed games on a shelving unit the lads know they can't touch and which are too heavy for the lass to lift yet.

In currently scrambling for hobby space to be able to get my projects back into some semblance of order.

Edited by SW1

So, the takeaway for the rest of us is to not have children.

A well-insulated, bespoke shed connected to the main power supply/connected to a solar panel could be an option if you really wanted privacy. It isn't quite a man cave, but your only real limitations there are cost and whether or not you'll need planning permission.

No... The moral of the story is do not get cats as they are mini-posessed daemons.

Kids are great, an while impacting on hobby space, they enrich your life in ways you didnt know about.

b85676c5a738e107dbc2bc9dc6fa27a5