Dark Eldar Storage Solutions

WhatTheBlazes

Ok - Dark Eldar units are spiky, delicate, and generally awkward to store and transport. How do you guys/gals manage? Post pictures, if you have them! (I'll grab some later, I promise.)

Pluck foam - how deep? Magnetised your sails, bases, whatnot - what size magnets? Deets please.

For myself - I used 4x2mm magnets to replace the ball and socket joints on my hellions. For my venoms, I used 5x1mm ones to replace the socket of the flying stand where it meets the actual base - since I wanted to pretty them up a bit. I'm still struggling to figure out how to transport the little gits though, especially the raider/razorwing/etc that I intend to pick up at some point - it's hard to judge the kind of foam necessary, and a lot of companies seem to think you'll store them with the flying stand (and sails) permanently glued on, like a lunatic. Hence, the thread! Show me your solutions. 

Edited by WhatTheBlazes

This has been a problem for us since the army was launched in 3rd ed. The latest GW cases just look like a deathtrap for Dark Eldar models.

Battle Foam makes foam trays sized for Dark Eldar models. I haven't used them myself, but they look good and lots of people do.

Back in 3rd ed, I eventually managed to find a case deep enough to accommodate the height of the classic Raiders, which was surprisingly difficult, and then packed it with pluck foam.

Today, I stick niobium magnets in the bases and carry my models in a metal tool box. It works surprisingly well: the only times I've had issues with it are when the magnet came unglued from the base. It also means I could play a game on the side of a refrigerator if I wanted to.

The main disadvantage is that carrying a heavy metal tool box around can be unwieldy, and there aren't any tiers, so it probably won't accommodate a large fleet.

Edited by Calyptra

I bought about 80 bucks of Battlefoam custom cut for the DE way back in 5th edition.  Suffice it to say, they still managed to break regularly.  Chief culprits include the aethersails on Raiders, weapon mounts on Ravagers, and flying stands in general.  My recommendation is to reinforce your larger DE models with spare foam/cloth/tissue paper if you decide to go this route.  Or carry around an emergency bottle of plastic glue :P

I went to KR Multicase and got a custom set of trays for my Dark Eldar. Generally very pleased with them and they've done a good job of protecting my models in the boot of my car.

A few considerations though:

1. They don't do a tray for the Voidraven or Tantalus.

2. If I was buying again I would have specified bigger slots for some of the infantry models. Those with wider poses don't fit well in the smaller slots.

I went to KR Multicase and got a custom set of trays for my Dark Eldar. Generally very pleased with them and they've done a good job of protecting my models in the boot of my car.

A few considerations though:

1. They don't do a tray for the Voidraven or Tantalus.

2. If I was buying again I would have specified bigger slots for some of the infantry models. Those with wider poses don't fit well in the smaller slots.

I'm really interested in their custom cut trays - do you feel that they are, um, an efficient use of space, particularly for the Raiders and Razorwing (if you have those...) ? 

I'm very much interested in this.

I hate it when you rock up to a game and start pulling your models out of your bag/case to find them snapped, and then having forgotten your glue end up embarrassingly pushing round lopsided models. Makes me feel sad :(

My Tau have a TableTop Tyrant bag that I pick and plucked to suit, as well as a small GW case (the old style) with the foam cut up to make compartments. This works well, but they're all magnetised to the Nth degree, and Tau (or t'au) have very few pointy bits.

My Marines are currently spread between another small GW case and two shoe boxes with a ludicrous amount of bubble wrap. But this isn't even ideal for my box shaped marines so not even an option here.

KR is what I'm planning. Getting them custom made according to the models I have/foresee having soon after, and putting them in a large seethrough plastic box (ReallyUsefulBox is a brand in UK, but they're pretty universal I'm sure). I'm going to get the deep ones where you put a model in base first rather than on its side as you would infantry to prevent them moving around too much too.

I'm really interested in their custom cut trays - do you feel that they are, um, an efficient use of space, particularly for the Raiders and Razorwing (if you have those...) ? 

I do - I have the Raider/Ravager tray that takes up an entire box and fits four of either type, leaned over at about 30 degrees.  I have two Raiders and two Ravagers in it and it protects them well, although I have the tallest of the sails on a Ravager and it could do with being leaned over slightly more than the side guns will allow to be absolutely perfect.

The Razorwing trays aren't full height and allow a tray of infantry models to be stacked above and still fit inside one of their cardboard cases, which is good.

What I did was email them with a list of my models and they came up with a tray solution for me which fits in four of their cardboard cases which themselves fit in one of their Kaiser 4 bags. My army takes up far less space than it did before, nothing gets damaged and it's so easy to transport now, compared to the boxes full of bubble wrap I was using before!

This is what I ordered from them:

Case1:

2xDE9 – Each tray holds 5x Scourges

2xDE2 – Each tray holds 5x Hellions plus 6x Jetbikes includes 11x stand storage

Case2:

DE7+DE7 - 4x Venom includes 4x stand storage

2xN4H - 23mm deep 20 compartments half width tray (each 50mm x 25mm)

DE8 - 1x Razorwing plus flight stand

Case3:

DE1 - 4x Ravager or Raider (hull support provided for both variants, model sits on support at 30 degrees)

Case4:

DE8 - 1x Razorwing plus flight stand

N4H - 23mm deep 20 compartments half width tray (each 50mm x 25mm)

F4H - 23mm deep 18 compartments half width tray (each 52mm x 32mm)

DE6+DE7 - 2x Talos / Pain engine, 2x Venom includes 4x stand storage too