Thunderwolves counts as - Conversion done!

Jackalwolf

So I feel very strongly against the Thunderwolves concept. That said, I do have Freki and Geri painted, which is a pitty since I'm so slow painting and i want to use them in 40k, so I was thinking of using them as count as thunderwolves.

First problem is the Base size, you think that's okay even for tournaments?

Second problem is the third unit, so I'm contemplating (since I'm doing my army after the series Vikings) to make the pack leader be over the Chariot of Grimnar just like Ivar the Boneless.

That would make a hell of a Base footprint though (even when I'd make it be pulled by normal wolves) so should I model the Chariot on the same Base size of the Wolf kin for consistency and have the wolves pulling from it out of the Base or should I make the Chariot be self propelled like a land speeder So then it wouldn't need anyone to pull from it?

Edited by Grieux

I can understand one's feelings about the TWC. Last edition they were one of my best units and now well...they seem a little nerfed shall we say in some areas.

Like when they fail to charge. Twice. in a game. *shakes fist*

But at the same time they can take more punishment then before. *got hit by forty genestealer attacks and only got two wounds. Suck it nids!*

That said I do like the ambitious of your project. I hope things go well even though I don't have any advice on kit bashing some thing like that.

Or do you mean ... Neutered :P

If you brought G and F and said "these are not the wolves you think they are", then I wouldn't have a problem. Why? Because it's just a game. Oh, and these are the only models you have, right? ;)

Check with TOs though.

It's just my opinion here, but if you don't like TWC, just don't use them, and you don't need to bother with doing something to make a counts-as. We've got plenty of great units to choose from, so if there's something you don't like, just skip it.

Valerian nailed it.  If you don't like them, don't run them.  You don't "have" to anymore.

*edit*

That said, if someone showed up across the table from me and asked "do you mind if I run Freki and Geri as counts-as TWC" I'd be delighted just to see the models in use.  I don't think a reasonable person would tell you "no."

Edited by Garreck

Haha I don't feel forced to use them due to rules but due to the fact that I've got em painted and not much more and considering how slow I am I can't really afford to not field painted units!

I'm building now the Chariot for the pack leader let's see how that goes!

I think you should feel free to do as much "counts as" as you want. I saw a Rebel Grots army that was Astra Militarum but with gobbo minis. I thought it was cool. I saw a Vampire Counts fantasy army where all of the zombies were undead orcs and goblins.

I have to be honest here, I have always hated the space vikings thing. I am running a Wolf Guard army and painting them up as Blackshields. They are using the Space Wolves rules now but that may change if I like the rules for a different army later. I've also considered running my Space Woves painted up as Blood Angels with the Wulfen modeled as full-on vampires.

They are your minis and your army. Paint them any way you want and be confident knowing that anyone that won't play with you probably isn't a fun opponent anyway.

Edited: Cause spelling = hrd

Edited by aluriel00

It may not work but.... What about running those reivers with a thunderwolf or a couple fenrisian wolves? Lore wise say the lighter armor and the Primaris size allows them to move faster and keep up with their wolves. Thus your great company have since lost use of the cavalry and adopted Baerserker-Jortunn to fulfill that role. They have been known to stalk the battleground side before running full out to the nearest enemy armed with sword/axe/hammer and shield to tear apart enemies while their wolves grab onto the enemies legs and arms.

[quote name="aluriel00" post="4813985" timestamp="1499651779"

I have to be honest here, I have always hated the space vikings thing. I am running a Wolf Guard army and painting them up as Blackshields. They are using the Space Wolves rules now but that may change if I like the rules for a different army later. I've also considered running my Space Woves painted up as Blood Angels with the Wulfen modeled as full-on vampires.

Excuse me if I get off subject here, but this really intrigues me. For the most part SW are divided between Viking vs Furry. I dont see you prefer furry in your past posts (i think), but you also dont like the viking theme. So what is your preference?

I have seen the SW been used as BA, saying the Wulfen is merely the Black Rage/Red Thirst, but never vice versa.

Excuse me if I get off subject here, but this really intrigues me. For the most part SW are divided between Viking vs Furry. I dont see you prefer furry in your past posts (i think), but you also dont like the viking theme. So what is your preference?

I have seen the SW been used as BA, saying the Wulfen is merely the Black Rage/Red Thirst, but never vice versa.

I've never considered playing Space Wolves at all until 8th edition came out. I was playing a White Scars army with Outrider bikes from FW. I started looking at all of the space marine factions and felt wolf guard gave me the best bikers. One thing led to another and now I like a lot of other units too.

I'm currently working on the fluff for my chapter and will probably post it sometime soon. I'm tying it in to the new warp rift and bringing marines from the past and future to form a band of last chancers.

I've never considered playing Space Wolves at all until 8th edition came out. I was playing a White Scars army with Outrider bikes from FW. I started looking at all of the space marine factions and felt wolf guard gave me the best bikers. One thing led to another and now I like a lot of other units too.

I'm currently working on the fluff for my chapter and will probably post it sometime soon. I'm tying it in to the new warp rift and bringing marines from the past and future to form a band of last chancers.

Interesting. 

So I bit the bullet and tried it anyway. Since I already have Freki and Geri painted I'm only one model away from having a playable unit painted and that's huge for someone so slow as I am when painting armies. But as mentioned, wolves riding wolves is a no go so this is my proposed solution based on Ivar the Boneless:

WPP1w9p.jpg

The rider is a stand in (my rune priest wip) and Ivar will have quite a less tall Base to integrate better. What are your thoughts guys? If it's a yes I'll use chains to pair the wolves to the openings in front of the Chariot held by straps to the wolves.

Acceptable stand in for a unit of thunderwolves cavalry? Is the Chariot goofiness diminished to acceptable levels?

Its a good concept but I'm having trouble with the tiny wolves pulling the chariot. They seem too small to be able to pull that sleigh. 

But then again this is 40k where people can now shot flamethrowers through their own troops and no one gets harmed. Cause LOGIC! 

MM as i thought about it, the chariot already has grav plates and it's own propulsors so my thinking was the wolves are mostly only to guide the direction. It fits quite well in a 90mm x 52mm oval base (like Freki and Geri), where the original thunderwolves are on 60mm bases (and they all go beyond the base space with their heads, tails or paws).

Think it could work as a counts as without me getting accused of gaming the system?

[quote name="aluriel00" post="4813985" timestamp="1499651779"

Before we got Wulfen back, I ran BA DC with a priest as 13th Co as an ally to my Wolves.