Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chapter shoulder pads from Shapeways

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

KGatch113

KGatch113

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 350 posts

Now that it has been almost a year, has anyone had any experience with shapeways and the pads sold for use with DW ( I mean the packs of different chapters for variety). How is the quality, do they match up with the GW made ones, and any recommended sellers?

40K RTT W/D/L 62/5/31
1 Overall, 1 Best General,12 Best Sportsman, 3 Best Army (2x Black Templars, 1x Space Wolves), 7 Best Painting (2x Imperial Fists,3x RavenGuard, 2x Space Wolves),1x Best Black Templars.
WFB RTT 0/0/6
1 Best Sportsman,1 Best Army (Wood Elves)

If BnC ever made a RavenGuard Successors forum, traffic on here would be nil. 

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,512 posts
Pop Goes the Monkey and Plonkoone's Bits (spelling?) are probably the two most popular, and both have a very good reputation here. Plonkoone had a thread here in Amicus, or NR&A.
  • Vel'Cona likes this

gallery_48988_6285_23120.pnggallery_30308_9518_15054.png EcJeVZz.png  sml_gallery_69091_12729_2979.gif gallery_48988_11572_1295.pnggallery_30308_9518_3457.png fBvPQb7.png gallery_48988_10069_19459.jpg wj0WOvZ.png gallery_48988_10069_385.png gallery_48988_10980_7442.png

Check out my current and past projects HERE  Heralds of Devastation

sockwithaticket

sockwithaticket

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,793 posts
  • Chapter Name: Crimson Tears

They're great, occasionally the finish might be a bit rougher than GW plastic, but a light scrape from a hobby knife will sort that right out,

These pads were all either Pop Goes the Monkey or Plokoone's bits:

886343_sm-.JPG873347_sm-.JPG873352_sm-.JPG873340_sm-.JPG828231_sm-.JPG

• Vel'Cona, Grotsmasha, Olis and 1 other like this

Crimson Tears, Deathwatch and Inquisition WIP thread (most recent page):
http://www.bolterand...updated/page-28

Deathwatch Hall of Honour thread:
http://www.bolterand...maccrage/page-4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpg

KGatch113

KGatch113

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 350 posts

Thanks for the replies! Now I feel safer making the order.

40K RTT W/D/L 62/5/31
1 Overall, 1 Best General,12 Best Sportsman, 3 Best Army (2x Black Templars, 1x Space Wolves), 7 Best Painting (2x Imperial Fists,3x RavenGuard, 2x Space Wolves),1x Best Black Templars.
WFB RTT 0/0/6

bluntpencil

bluntpencil

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 87 posts

I've been struggling to get a hold of Pop goes the monkey.

I wanted a custom set with specific chapters, but I'm receiving no replies.

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,627 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cadian 317th

Pop Goes the Monkey and Plonkoone's Bits (spelling?) are probably the two most popular, and both have a very good reputation here. Plonkoone had a thread here in Amicus, or NR&A.

Seconded on Plokoone's bits, I've ordered a pile for the next Astartes project and the quality is superlative.  I've heard many good things about PGtM as well, though I'd compare the two before purchasing.  In either case, Shapeways is a safe bet as long as you stick with an established seller.

Losing 'hope' after 10k years just because of a big warp storm? Doesn't sound like my Blood Angels.

Never had hope to begin with; they had duty, and that was enough.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpgETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_10495.pngETL_Medal_02.gif

Castellan Wulfrik

Castellan Wulfrik

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

There's a lot of Deathwatch sets available from Pgtm; has anyone got any recommendations?

Ashriel

Ashriel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 442 posts
  • Chapter Name: Deathwatch
I just got a bunch (3 sets) from PGTM. They look good, but I'm swamped at work and haven't done more than look at them. His sets are overwhelming and it was hard for me to easily see the chapters in the batch, but I managed to not get extras. Wish he had a way to let us mix and match exactly what we wanted.

I'll try and get some primed and take a picture tonight. It's hard to tell the detail with the frosted plastic.
  • Vel'Cona and Castellan Wulfrik like this

Though few realize it, the weight of Mankind’s hopes against the alien apocalypse are borne upon the broad shoulders of the Deathwatch. These warriors form the Shield that Slays, a noble brotherhood of paragons whose might is sufficient to hurl back a hundred alien invasions and still not seek rest. They are the vigilant few, the watchmen in the void, whose star-borne fortresses stand guard against terrors unimaginable.

sockwithaticket

sockwithaticket

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,793 posts
  • Chapter Name: Crimson Tears

Wish he had a way to let us mix and match exactly what we wanted.

That's exactly what I was able to do, simply shot him an email. This was a while back, though, just before the official Deathwatch codex release and his webstore had a fraction of the products it does now. I think both he and Plokoone have become inundated with reequests in recent months for all sorts of stuff.

• Vel'Cona likes this

Crimson Tears, Deathwatch and Inquisition WIP thread (most recent page):
http://www.bolterand...updated/page-28

Deathwatch Hall of Honour thread:
http://www.bolterand...maccrage/page-4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpg

bluntpencil

bluntpencil

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 87 posts

A guy named MartilloYCola is also doing things to order, but he seems snowed in by requests too.

I'm getting a bunch of Badab War pads from him.

Ashriel

Ashriel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 442 posts
I took a picture of a pad primed and with a diluted black wash to help show details but I can't post it from my gallery with my phone, I don't know the forum code and don't see full reply option on my phone.

Overall, I like the pads but the fine/small detail isn't great, the basic geometric shapes are good. I'll post when I get home. Unfortunately my picture isn't great either, I may try another picture.

Though few realize it, the weight of Mankind’s hopes against the alien apocalypse are borne upon the broad shoulders of the Deathwatch. These warriors form the Shield that Slays, a noble brotherhood of paragons whose might is sufficient to hurl back a hundred alien invasions and still not seek rest. They are the vigilant few, the watchmen in the void, whose star-borne fortresses stand guard against terrors unimaginable.

Scott_K

Scott_K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 109 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Black Omegas
I've used Plokoone, and the quality is great https://www.shapeway...on=&sort=newest

Overlordgaz

Overlordgaz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts
I purchased Plokoones Deathwatch pack, didn't have any problems with qualitt
  • Scott_K likes this

xenomortis

xenomortis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 28 posts

I purchased 2 sets of shoulder pads from Pop Goes the Monkey, 1 power armour set and 1 terminator. Both have been great quality and arrived in the UK from the US in less than a week.

These are the terminator pads I purchased:

C1HNniO.jpg

• Castellan Wulfrik likes this

Reyner

Reyner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,887 posts
  • Chapter Name: IV Legion, XIII Legion

Bang tidy. Do they need sanding down before painting? Seen some pads from Shapeways have a rough texture to them.

gallery_60566_6038_242.gifgallery_26119_9644_9137.pnggallery_60566_6038_826.gif
"I don't need my left arm to run." - Sergeant Arkad VII Legion bad-ass.

xenomortis

xenomortis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 28 posts

Bang tidy. Do they need sanding down before painting? Seen some pads from Shapeways have a rough texture to them.

No, they're spot on. Straight out the box I primed with GW chaos black spray and they took paint smoothly and without any blemishes at all. I painted a terminator last night actually so I will upload a pic tonight to illustrate

Reyner

Reyner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,887 posts
  • Chapter Name: IV Legion, XIII Legion

Ah nice one :D

gallery_60566_6038_242.gifgallery_26119_9644_9137.pnggallery_60566_6038_826.gif
"I don't need my left arm to run." - Sergeant Arkad VII Legion bad-ass.

xenomortis

xenomortis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 28 posts

As promised a few I have painted:

vJJxqP2.jpg

2ZfgMoL.jpg

8RZWQGc.jpg

QN6O8mR.jpg

• Prot, Reyner, hmk17 and 4 others like this

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,512 posts

Yeah, they're pretty crisp...

gallery_48988_6285_23120.pnggallery_30308_9518_15054.png EcJeVZz.png  sml_gallery_69091_12729_2979.gif gallery_48988_11572_1295.pnggallery_30308_9518_3457.png fBvPQb7.png gallery_48988_10069_19459.jpg wj0WOvZ.png gallery_48988_10069_385.png gallery_48988_10980_7442.png

Check out my current and past projects HERE  Heralds of Devastation

bluntpencil

bluntpencil

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 87 posts

A guy named MartilloYCola is also doing things to order, but he seems snowed in by requests too.

I'm getting a bunch of Badab War pads from him.

I got my pads, and they're all fantastic. Service from Shapeways was great, especially after there were some issues with card acceptance. 100% recommend.

KGatch113

KGatch113

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 350 posts

Thanks all for the replies and pics!

40K RTT W/D/L 62/5/31
WFB RTT 0/0/6

SinnerBeta

SinnerBeta

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 618 posts

Would it be possible to link these and similar website in some sticky or the Deathwatch resource thread ?

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,627 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cadian 317th

Would it be possible to link these and similar website in some sticky or the Deathwatch resource thread ?

Done.  Note that you can also get the separate icons from PGTM and others, so you can still add unique chapter icons to your dudes even if you've already assembled them.  I've been using a set for a C: SM project and they work swimmingly!  :)

Losing 'hope' after 10k years just because of a big warp storm? Doesn't sound like my Blood Angels.

Never had hope to begin with; they had duty, and that was enough.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpgETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_10495.pngETL_Medal_02.gif

SinnerBeta

SinnerBeta

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 618 posts

Thanks, how about these ones guys ? http://anvilindustry...Lords/Black-Ops

The Black-Ops Exo-Lord line is basically a third party Deathwatch, including frag cannons and so on.

xenomortis

xenomortis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 28 posts

Exorcists terminator pad:

44cpPI3.jpg

• deathspectersgt7 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)