Thinking of Tau, GhostKeels and stealths any good?

So with my friend jumping into the game as Tau, having to look at sweet giant robots is starting to make me a little keen for some giant robots. However not wanting to tread on toes too much, I personally prefer the Ghostkeel and stealth suits over the more standard Riptides and crisis suits.

So how do these guys measure up this edition? Not an instant plans but in the future strongly considering Tau. From what I have seen, never use the collider because the Raker does so much better (and is cheaper I believe?).

As for the stealth suits, they don't seem too bad. Sadly Shadowsun does not look appealing to use. Thoughts? Marching all stealth units actually something people have tried yet or has it been tried and not done so well?

(I know the Ghostkeel can be a pain if one can hide the drones enough to avoid getting shot because of that massive -2 to hit debuff he gives enemies)

Stealth Suits are VERY good now. One of the big winners of the switch to 8th. They got +1T +1W a sweet -1 to-hit modifier for enemies even in melee and can help flamer Crisis drop in range. All that while their point cost didn't increase unlike with all the other battlesuits.

Loadout-wise I usually go with 2xBC + ATS and 1xFB + Shield Gen/Velocity Tracker (since it buffs the whole unit). Plus the Homing Beacon if I have a unit of Flamer Crisis with me (which everybody should at least consider. A unit of 3 with 3 Flamer means 31.5 S4 hits on average!)

They were one of my favorite T'au units fluff and visual wise in 7th and now it's worth taking them even so they are basically in every of my lists.

--> Don't expect them to carry your games, but expect them to bring a good amount of utility for your army and to be a pain in your opponents side. They even are infantry so they easily benefit from Cover pushing them to a 2+ save.

Ghostkeels....that's a tough one. Their stealth is WAY worse than the one Stealth Suits have since it only applies when the enemy is >12" away or if one of your Stealth Drones are still alive and in range.

Its main weapons also are heavy, so unless you have enough Markerlights in your list you gonna want to use one of his two Support slots for a Target Lock or else you'll be hitting on 5+ after moving. That leaves you really only with one slot to play around with.

I for one always go with the Cyclic Ion Raker due 6" more range and pretty much the same damage output as the Fusion Collider. And since AP-1 is a bit meh for such a big gun I often take the ATS for my second Support slot. However a Shield Gen or EWO are interesting choices as well.

--> Frankly Ghostkeels aren't worth it compared to Commander imo but the models are awesome and they fit my armys stealth/recon theme so I still take one every once in a while. They can work in a less competetive environment. They aren't trash. They are just falling behind a Commander for their points (like most Battlesuits currently).

Edited by sfPanzer

• 2 weeks later...

Ghostkeels are always -1 but -2 over 12" if your stealth drones live. They're excellent and well worth it. Not to mention, epic models!

Ya know, I haven't seen them actually kill much stuff or actually do much, but dammit if they don't attract a lot of firepower! :P I think opponents fear them for more than what they are, and they act as a big, tanky fire magnet.

Ghostkeels are always -1 but -2 over 12" if your stealth drones live. They're excellent and well worth it. Not to mention, epic models!

Except that the Drones are incredibly easy to pick off even with their -1 to-hit modifier on themselves which leaves the Ghostkeel with only his own -1 to-hit modifier at >12".

That and that his damage output is incredibly low. Partially due having only BS4+ and a heavy main weapon which kinda forces one to take a Target Lock or dedicate at least 6 Pathfinder each turn for him as I mentioned above.