Rapier Laser Destroyer - number of shots

K3nn3rs

I'm looking into swaping out my IF lascannon squad with some rapier laser destroyers in order to free up a heavy slot for my scorpius/ new Sicaran model.

Question:

How many shots does the rapier laser destroyer fire?

Looking at the PDF red book it's armed with a

'laser destroyer array' but I could only find the rules for the 'laser destroyer' - one twin linked shot is a bit pathetic for a weapon with 4 barrels!

What (if anything) am I missing?

1 shot. Idea is all the barrels focus on one point, thus increasing its destructive ability.

I never use them because I roll spartans and 2 twin linked Lascannon shots work better that one ordnance shot.

Go for grav cannons on rapiers for anti armour

Plus, IF excel at defence, so Grav Cannons dropping difficult terrain everywhere works well for you to shoot stuff to death before it gets near you

Thanks Red Angel

I'll admit that I've overlooked grav rapiers.

My only concern is that it would reduce my AT threat - 5 x lascannons for 2 x haywire shots.

I have a venator in the list as we'll be found it wasn't enough dedicated AT.

On average those two large blasts generate better or the same results up until you're against AV 11. The almost guaranteed hit and then almost guaranteed hull point takes away a lot of randomness.

On the whole, venators and lascannon squads are bad at AT. Things like laser vindicators, full grav rapier squads, lightnings and drop leviathans are the real heavy hitters

The Grav weapons work best in groups, the ability to drop down multiple haywire/dangerous terrain templates and reliably take off a hull point can be devastating. Dont forget that Dreadnoughts can take them in their combat fists as well 

yeah sounds fun. Just be aware you will probably get pretty disappointed in the Gravs on the Breachers, being heavy weapons, they just don't get the use. They cant be moved and shot, and the range is pretty short, normally if they are that close they have failed a charge or something like that.

Dono - I hear you.

I like to use one of my breacher units in a defensive role, securing onjectives in my back line and protecting my fire support units.

I find graviton guns useful in putting doubt in my opponents mind when rushing forwards with armour/ knights and even deep striking Levi's (in conjunction with the apothercaries augury scanner).

I've now increased the squad to 15 and included a third graviton gun, combined with 2 on my Contemptor and 2 grav rapiers I'm confident that the grav threat has increased exponentially!