Unit of the Week: Dreadnoughts

Acebaur

Anyone considered trying the Siege Dreadnought from FW? I much prefer the MKIV Ironclad model over the GW Ironclad, and it has options for an Inferno Cannon (Heavy D6 S6 AP1 D2). You are stuck with the Seismic Hammer but the model is cool anyway if you can find it online (seems to be OOP right now.) Inferno Cannon seems good against Primaris and bikes, I'm sure there are other T5 2W models it could specialize against.

It's basically an Ironclad with better gun options (and no Chainfist option), from what I can see.  Base price is 20 points higher than an Ironclad.  And it has a special rule for rerolling 1's to wound against buildings.

Oh, and it can take 2 Inferno cannons.  Yeesh.  That's 2-12 S6 AP1 D2 auto hits, but still just 8" range.

Edited by Firepower

Sad. Well, saves me some money. I'll stick with the standard MKIV Ironclad with CCW arms or maybe the Hurricane Bolter. It's sad that the FW version is OOP, I love the look of it vs. the GW one:

http://www.librarium-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/icmkiv1.jpg

Hi All

Just starting out with space marines, and received my codex yesterday. Reading that I was sad that any dreadnoughts i bought would have to have missile launchers or CCW only to go with their twin lascannons, but reading back through this it sounds like there are wider options in the index (say twin lascannon/auto cannons, or Race's Raven Guard monster with quad autocannons). Is this true? I don't have the index and wasn't going to pick it up but if it allows more dreadnought awesomeness then I will do.  I'm going to go Raven Guard so I want to maximise the firepower on my -1 to hit dreads....

How are people finding the macro plasma on the Redemptor. Working my way towards a full Primaris army and while the gatling is cool it doesn't have the stats to add to vehicle damage. Its a shame the macro wasn't 2D3 for a more consistent nature and 2 damage normal to reflect its a dam big plasma gun

How are people finding the macro plasma on the Redemptor. Working my way towards a full Primaris army and while the gatling is cool it doesn't have the stats to add to vehicle damage. Its a shame the macro wasn't 2D3 for a more consistent nature and 2 damage normal to reflect its a dam big plasma gun

Not bad enough to declare useless, not good enough to always include. If I am missing a few points, I usually resort to it. As UM I rarely lack CP to re-roll those 1s. If you put around 3 shots and wound all or 4 and more with regular rolls, then the damage is quite alright. Beware of movement and overcharge though. On the other hand, you only lose 1W. The 36" also helps. Let's say it is quite decent, but inconsistent and may require CP.

In a full Primaris, even without things like Preds, there will be a strong case for Plasma as you sorely lack anti-tank.

Any weapon that relies on CP to be useful is likely not worth it. Sure, a CP to boost damage output is good and all for a tactical play, but D6 shots that have to roll to hit just isn't worth it for the Redemptor. If it moves it only hits on a 4+!

Go Onslaught Cannon. It'll do more and cost no CP to fire.

Any weapon that relies on CP to be useful is likely not worth it. Sure, a CP to boost damage output is good and all for a tactical play, but D6 shots that have to roll to hit just isn't worth it for the Redemptor. If it moves it only hits on a 4+!

Go Onslaught Cannon. It'll do more and cost no CP to fire.

In a pure Primaris army it will underperform against tanks.

I dunno, the plasma on overcharge is not shabby at putting in 2 dmg. into a T8 model.  For every 1 you roll a 6.   I still don't like rolling for shots, but it is what it is.

BTW the Redemptor is the only platform I can comfortably overcharge from, b/c wounds and techmarine.   The low BS is annoying, but that's what cappy and relentless are for.

Hellblasters, plasma-ceptors... but the MPC just doesn't... I don't know, it just doesn't seem to hit the right spot for me.

Plasmaceptors are hopelessly overpriced. Hellblasters are fair game. Maybe it is enough. I played against a Razorlist with quad las Repulsor and 6 Hellblasters and I felt like it was not enough.

After playing my pair of Redemptors in both builds, I have to agree, the MPC needed to be 3 plus D3 shots.

The funny thing though is I think the big detractor with it is cost plus BS/WS plus damage table.

That range for those points in an elite slot.  Yeah, no.

It can also replace the Inferno Cannon with a Twin Autocannon, Multi Melta or Twin Lascannon.  Seems like the only one that would fit its role would be the Multi Melta, though.

Or you could replace the Inferno Cannon with a Multi Melta and the Hammer with an Inferno Cannon...but if it can't smash things, it really can't call itself an Ironclad replacement, in my book.

Well, swapping out the Inferno Cannon kinda keeps it from being the Siege Dread ...

I'll have to crunch numbers but the IF/MM combo is interesting. Yet, I agree, part of it's shtick is its anti-building (siege) thing.

Played against a Redemptor with the fragstorm launcher thingies the other night. It seemed pretty decent but I think that the storm bolters are probably better value for points. Weirdly it had a flamer as well; it seemed like a poor choice of secondary armament when you have the option of MOAR DAKKA in the form of the gatling cannon. It never got close enough to anything to flame anything!