Unit of the Week: Dreadnoughts

Acebaur

As for other variants, the drop pod exclusion makes me sad about the old Distraction Ironclad going away, though I still feel that it's a good build; the extra Toughness alone makes it more resilient to plasma, melta, and missiles and double heavy flamers are nothing to sneeze at in the horde-heavy metagame that seems to be evolving.  You just have to employ it differently -- as part of your front line rather than as a deep striker -- and I think it'll make a great speed bump to stick in the way of units that want to 1st- or 2nd-turn charge.  As a plus, the hurricane bolter is actually worth taking now.  Also, an Ironclad with Might of Heroes on it?  That sounds like heaven to me.

This.  All of this.

As for other variants, the drop pod exclusion makes me sad about the old Distraction Ironclad going away, though I still feel that it's a good build; the extra Toughness alone makes it more resilient to plasma, melta, and missiles and double heavy flamers are nothing to sneeze at in the horde-heavy metagame that seems to be evolving.  You just have to employ it differently -- as part of your front line rather than as a deep striker -- and I think it'll make a great speed bump to stick in the way of units that want to 1st- or 2nd-turn charge.  As a plus, the hurricane bolter is actually worth taking now.  Also, an Ironclad with Might of Heroes on it?  That sounds like heaven to me.

This.  All of this.

BROTHER, NOT ALL, PLEASE RE-READ

As for other variants, the drop pod exclusion makes me sad about the old Distraction Ironclad going away, though I still feel that it's a good build; the extra Toughness alone makes it more resilient to plasma, melta, and missiles and double heavy flamers are nothing to sneeze at in the horde-heavy metagame that seems to be evolving. You just have to employ it differently -- as part of your front line rather than as a deep striker -- and I think it'll make a great speed bump to stick in the way of units that want to 1st- or 2nd-turn charge. As a plus, the hurricane bolter is actually worth taking now. Also, an Ironclad with Might of Heroes on it? That sounds like heaven to me.

This. All of this.

BROTHER, NOT ALL, PLEASE RE-READ

Give him a break, he most likely has a real job, like some of us, and did not intend to endorse psykers.

Ugh...no, I saw it. I just don't know any psyker powers or what they're called. I never have reason to read those pages, not when I have fires in need of kindling.

But still, a week in the pain glove, a month of paddlins, and a penitent crusade to find and torch this tree of sin Kallas speaks of.

Edited by Firepower

Just realized Forgeworld sells a MKIV Inferno Cannon right arm, and that both the "Siege Dreadnought" and the Chaplain Ven Dread (bit of a waste of BS 2+ tho) can use it in the Imperial Armour book. But there's no longer a FW Seismic Hammer so you're kind of SOL there unless you can find it on eBay.

Looking at those 8th ed mathhammer data sheets the Inferno Cannon is quite good and it's cool to be able to take one in an SM army; I think that's what I'd put in a drop pod for sure.

Oh no, the eagle hammer is OOP?! I didn't even notice! I thought for sure it would still be for sale, because FW kept the Mk IV Ironclad body for sale, I'm assuming due to how cool it looks and how well it sells compared to generic Mk IV's. What's the point of having the FW Ironclad if I can't get the eagle hammer?!

It's very sad, I agree - loved the look of that arm. I did find one on eBay (cheaper than the original UK pounds price I think! At least for now.) Could use the Contemptor Chainfist and mount the hand on a normal MKIV arm but it seems expensive & wasteful. Only real way to get an Inferno Cannon into your vanilla list other than running a Hellhound. The heresy! :sweat:

EDIT: Just saw this reported by a guy who emailed FW about recently OOP models in the IG forum: "...As you've seen, we have recently removed several product from the Forge World web store that have been out of stock for some time. All of these products will need substantial work for us to be able to produce them again... We hope to have many of these products back on sale in the future. Unfortunately we don't yet have a timescale for this work."

Sounds like the Eagle Hammer might make a comeback at some point. It is pretty weird that the rules for the Siegenaught and the Ironclad are so similar and still exist.

Edited by Alcyon

Just had a game versus Space Wolves last night, dude ran 2 LRCS, 7 Venerable Dreadnoughts (3 axe/shield, 4 rifleman), a terminal wolf lord, 2 termite rune priests, and 2 bare bones grey hunter Squads. My Ironclad punched a LRC and a Axe dread to scrap, but between him and 2 Lascannon Devastator Squads, there was just not enough anti tank going around. I had 4 twin Assault Cannons between 2 Stormtalons and 2 Razorbacks, and 5s just were not happening. He kept his Wolf Lord huddled amongst the other LRC and the Rifleman Venerable Dreadnoughts like a punk. We played Big Guns Never Tire, or I would have focused on the Dreads rather than the Land Raiders.

I played him because my Black Templars player no-showed. For the love of the Throne, why do not @Acebauer or @Marshal Roujakis live closer?! I would even settle for @Firepower or @Honda...

Edited by Jacques Corbin

I played him because my Black Templars player no-showed. For the love of the Throne, why do not @Acebauer or @Marshal Roujakis live closer?! I would even settle for @Firepower or @Honda...

Doesn't matter the state, province, country or planet, I will remain undisturbed at my painting desk, its surface covered in half finished models, while staring blankly into empty space.  I can only be found at a gaming table under the most specific of cosmic circumstances. :P

Have we got enough info on the upcoming Primaris Beergut-Bot yet to contrast and compare?

Doesn't matter the state, province, country or planet, I will remain undisturbed at my painting desk, its surface covered in half finished models, while staring blankly into empty space. I can only be found at a gaming table under the most specific of cosmic circumstances. :P

Have we got enough info on the upcoming Primaris Beergut-Bot yet to contrast and compare?

All brush and no dice, huh?

Just had a game versus Space Wolves last night, dude ran 2 LRCS, 7 Venerable Dreadnoughts (3 axe/shield, 4 rifleman), a terminal wolf lord, 2 termite rune priests, and 2 bare bones grey hunter Squads. My Ironclad punched a LRC and a Axe dread to scrap, but between him and 2 Lascannon Devastator Squads, there was just not enough anti tank going around. I had 4 twin Assault Cannons between 2 Stormtalons and 2 Razorbacks, and 5s just were not happening. He kept his Wolf Lord huddled amongst the other LRC and the Rifleman Venerable Dreadnoughts like a punk. We played Big Guns Never Tire, or I would have focused on the Dreads rather than the Land Raiders.

What and you think I wouldn't bring 2 LRC's to the table? :lol:

What and you think I wouldn't bring 2 LRC's to the table? :lol:

Typical of Georgia public schools, your reading comprehension. The issue was not the LRCs, but the 7 or 8 Venerable Dreadnoughts.

So far, it seems this edition favors either hordes, or mass vehicles.

OOOH, I'm gonna need some ointment for that burn :lol:  Touche sir ;) 

Ven Dreads do seem like an excellent upgrade for the cost, not only do you get 2 improved important stats but you get a chance to straight up ignore damage, something not to be underestimated. 

I faced 3 Venerable Dreads backed up with Guilliman on the weekend. The dreads were armed with twin lascannons and autocannons. Add in a tri las predator and I had a very short game. They guy went on to score 100 points from all 5 games. (maximum points for the tournament) So yeah, venerable dreads are nice!! :happy.:

Yeah. Dreadnoughts are tasty this edition, no two ways about it. Any thoughts on the upcoming Redemptor Dreadnought?

Until we know points and special rules not really, the not punisher cannon looks impressive and could be a good anti horde unit but that's about all I can comment for now.