Waaargh Grimsnaga (Smasha squig)

Kierdale

Well, I do have a captured dino with howdah I’m slowly working on as bitz come together :D I was thinking of having it count as a ‘naut but maybe now a ‘rig. We’ll see. It’ll definitely have a big banner. ;)

Neeeearly finished Zodgrod himself. Just the black stripes on yellow cable to do, his banner topper (a painting of the original’s banner-topper) and…the banner itself.

med_gallery_63428_13471_383649.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_613605.jpeg

You can see the loincloth scrap of his old flak jacket here, and the shackles I gave him (that the original had). Made from chain and a couple of small brass rings (bought from the 100yen store’s jewellery-making area).

I make my banners from tissue, painted with several layers of watered-down PVA glue. Until now I had always attached these to banner poles dry then applied the PVA. This time I thought ‘why not use the PVA to stiffen the paper first?!’. Feeling stupid I didn’t try this earlier! :D

Doing it the old way gave nice, natural waves and creases but so far the tissue’s looking nicely creased anyway just from painting it with the PVA mixture as it hangs vertically from the side of my hobby desk :D

What's that material you used for the banner?

I make my banners from tissue, painted with several layers of watered-down PVA glue. Until now I had always attached these to banner poles dry then applied the PVA. This time I thought ‘why not use the PVA to stiffen the paper first?!’. Feeling stupid I didn’t try this earlier! :D

Doing it the old way gave nice, natural waves and creases but so far the tissue’s looking nicely creased anyway just from painting it with the PVA mixture as it hangs vertically from the side of my hobby desk :D

:)

I got some painting done on the smasha squig and remembered I had years ago bought some web-like net stockings (thinking I’d use them as spray-masking for a future Eldar army that never happened. Yet)…so gave it a try, with my airbrush and two blues.

med_gallery_63428_13471_225307.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_139701.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_535857.jpeg

It’s weird but I like it.

Then got some detailing done.

med_gallery_63428_13471_272383.jpeg

Nasty veins from where the pipe goes in.

med_gallery_63428_13471_692599.jpeg

And work on the nob.

med_gallery_63428_13471_302565.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_379830.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_102654.jpeg

Thanks, guys!

Mithril, get some! You’ll love ‘em!

Last night one nob, rocket-bow, and three other Orks from Waaargh Grimsnaga found themselves aboard a space hulk, in the Waaaargh’s first outing!

med_gallery_63428_13471_379633.jpeg

…as my son and I had a game of Ultramarines (a 90s intro game I remade (and tweaked a bit) last year). Rather than using two squads of my (Mentor Legion) scouts* we used the rules as-is, but with five Orks vs five of my Psychopomp noise marines.

med_gallery_63428_13471_557418.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_524194.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_226200.jpeg

The nob and chaos champion both raced toward one objective…and the nob didn’t survive.

The chaos champion stunned the nob before finishing off the prone Greenskin.

med_gallery_63428_13471_369723.jpeg

My son used a cave-in and blocked the direct route back to my entry room, forcing two of my marines, both carrying valuable objectives (which the had to get back to the entry room!) to go on the attack…

med_gallery_63428_13471_271718.jpeg

He got a new nob (via the reinforcements card) and in the next turn teleported him across the board and between those two marines, firing at one (and missing :D) and clobbering the other to the ground with his klaw.

med_gallery_63428_13471_401695.jpeg

In the end it was a win for Slaanesh (both sides managed to recover one objective each bu i killed all his Orks). It was - and always is - great fun.

Waaargh Grimsnaga will be back for revenge. Orks is never beaten, after all…

* so, yeah, we’ve never played it with Ultramarines :D

Zodgrod is done!

med_gallery_63428_13471_1265930.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_526740.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_1033275.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_1460614.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_1067810.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_358602.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_365328.jpeg

Close up to show the eye patch I Green Stuffed, and facial scar I gave him.

med_gallery_63428_13471_297468.jpeg

Added shackles and scrap of his flakk jacket.

med_gallery_63428_13471_841543.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_790467.jpeg

Where the original had a carving of Zodgrod on a boar atop his banner pole, i recreated the image on a shield.

med_gallery_63428_13471_583947.jpeg

Remade his backbanner

med_gallery_63428_13471_101651.jpeg

Tattoos, trouser trim

med_gallery_63428_13471_892149.jpeg

And, as the original had red nails, so does the new one :D

med_gallery_63428_13471_283751.jpeg

* your inbox is full…

Hey bud, finally got ourselves sorted in the new place(it’s small but cosy) I have room on the kitchen table for projects but gotta pack up afterwards

Anyways onto my question- I’m inspired for adding more to my Orks so I’m building my sole Deff Dread,

I don’t have the old codex anymore (I think my wife binned it as we were packing when I said “there’s a new one coming” face palm…) and the new ones not available yet …

Sooo I want to make an anti vehicle dread … can you tell me what the best load out from the new dex would be please ?!…

Kind regards , Mithril

* your inbox is full…

Hey bud, finally got ourselves sorted in the new place(it’s small but cosy) I have room on the kitchen table for projects but gotta pack up afterwards

Anyways onto my question- I’m inspired for adding more to my Orks so I’m building my sole Deff Dread,

I don’t have the old codex anymore (I think my wife binned it as we were packing when I said “there’s a new one coming” face palm…) and the new ones not available yet …

Sooo I want to make an anti vehicle dread … can you tell me what the best load out from the new dex would be please ?!…

Kind regards , Mithril

Have you looked at battlescribe? I like 2xKlaw, 2xSkorcha for multi-purpose but if you want dedicated ranged anti-tank then either 4xRokkits or 4xKMB. The Klaw is the strongest but its also melee

For Infantry 2x Shorcha + 2x Klaw is amazing. 4x Klaw will pretty much obliterate any armor it hits, not to mention most infantry but of course you have to get to them. 

4x Rokkits or 4X KMB are damn powerful as well, assuming you can hit, but Dreads are still 5+ bs. Both are blast though, so they are also decent for clearing infantry and for cracking armor since both are Str8 and rokkits are dmg 3 and KMBs are dmg d6

Edited by tentagil

Thanks guys!,

I initially thought 2x Claws and 2 Rokkits…is there a glaring fault with this?!..

I have never thought of Ork shooting as anything more than a Fun but very slim chance to do extra damage but would never solely equip an Ork unit with all ranged weapons.

Perhaps the multi role 2claws / scorcha’s could be a better option since I only have one Deff Dread!.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone (sorry to hijack your thread Kierdale)

Cheers Mithril

Thanks guys!,

I initially thought 2x Claws and 2 Rokkits…is there a glaring fault with this?!..

I have never thought of Ork shooting as anything more than a Fun but very slim chance to do extra damage but would never solely equip an Ork unit with all ranged weapons.

Perhaps the multi role 2claws / scorcha’s could be a better option since I only have one Deff Dread!.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone (sorry to hijack your thread Kierdale)

Cheers Mithril

With Skorchas you dont have to worry about the silly hit roles and the Klaws will do well against armor in most situations. The other shooting sounds cool but then you have to deal with a 5+ base to hit before factoring in other stuff like -1 or other stuff

Klaw + Shorcha is my perfered setup. I find it really effective against most things. And while the skorchas aren't as effective vs vehicles, not having to worry about hitting means they can help plink off a wound or two and then the klaws do plenty of work. Kanz on the other hand are much better for anti armor since they have a higher BS and can also take Rokkits. And they've been buffed to be alot better in melee then they used to be.

Beast Snaggas Squighog boyz look to be decent anti armor as well.

The nob and squig are done, and I got started on (the first side of) his back banner today:

med_gallery_63428_13471_80705.jpeg

When I do a banner for a big character they’re usually stood and their banner is blowing to one side…so I only need to paint a decoration on one side :D It seems to be lower level characters, moving forward, that need me to do both sides of their banners as the cloth is blowing backward.