Split Fire Question

wako1302

I know a unit can shoot at multiple targets, but is it based on per model or not.

i.e. A unit of Centurions with Lascanons & Hurricane Bolters - Can the Lascanons shot at one target and the Heavy Bolters at a different target.

It is per weapon. All shots from a single weapon must go to a specific unit, but if a model has multiple weapons each weapon can target a different unit.

I believe "3. Choose Ranged Weapon" disagrees with this:

"Similarly, if a unit contains more than one model, they can shoot at the same, or different targets as you choose. In either case, declare how you will split the shooting unit's shots before any dice are rolled, and resolve all the shots against one target before moving on to the next."

Answers in the rulebook

It is per weapon. All shots from a single weapon must go to a specific unit, but if a model has multiple weapons each weapon can target a different unit.

"Similarly, if a unit contains more than one model, they can shoot at the same, or different targets as you choose. In either case, declare how you will split the shooting unit's shots before any dice are rolled, and resolve all the shots against one target before moving on to the next."

It is under the "Weapon Types" section 2nd paragraph: "If a weapon has more than one attack, it must make all of its attacks against the same target unit."

It is under the "Weapon Types" section 2nd paragraph: "If a weapon has more than one attack, it must make all of its attacks against the same target unit."

That is not permission to split the target of the Weapons on a model, though, which is what Mr. Shine was addressing.  It may be implying something, but that is not quite the same thing as coming outright and saying it.

That is not permission to split the target of the Weapons on a model, though, which is what Mr. Shine was addressing.  It may be implying something, but that is not quite the same thing as coming outright and saying it.

I read it differently. First step three of the shooting phase grants permission for a model with several weapons to shoot each weapon individually at separate targets. Second, it grants additional permission for units of multiple models to have different targets for each model. I could see where you could find an implication that units with multiple models aren't covered under the first permission, but I don't see any text that makes this an either or proposition.

I read it differently. First step three of the shooting phase grants permission for a model with several weapons to shoot each weapon individually at separate targets. Second, it grants additional permission for units of multiple models to have different targets for each model. I could see where you could find an implication that units with multiple models aren't covered under the first permission, but I don't see any text that makes this an either or proposition.

Right, what they were quoting were directed at different things, and what CCE1981 does not apply to a model shooting different targets, but it does address the issue of all of a Weapon's shots being directed at a single unit.

I think I misunderstood what you were saying in your original reply. We seem agreed that weapons cannot split their attacks against different targets, but your original reply alongside the OP to me seemed like you were suggesting all of the same weapon in a unit must fire at the same target.

So I think it's perhaps best described as per weapon per model, where a model can split its targets by weapon, without binding other models with the same weapon to firing at the same target?

I think I misunderstood what you were saying in your original reply. We seem agreed that weapons cannot split their attacks against different targets, but your original reply alongside the OP to me seemed like you were suggesting all of the same weapon in a unit must fire at the same target.

So I think it's perhaps best described as per weapon per model, where a model can split its targets by weapon, without binding other models with the same weapon to firing at the same target?

For example:

3 man bike squad - 2x plasma guns- sgt with combi-melta

Each twin bolter and plasma gun can fire at a different unit ( so max of 5 units)

The next question is: is the combi-melta considered 1 weapon with two profiles that can only fire at one target or is it considered 2 weapons and therefore each profile can fire at a different unit?

The next question is: is the combi-melta considered 1 weapon with two profiles that can only fire at one target or is it considered 2 weapons and therefore each profile can fire at a different unit?

One weapon with two 'profiles'. "When attacking with this weapon choose one or both profiles ..."

In that same vein.

When a devastor unit uses it armorium cherub to make a single model of that unit fore again. Must that model shot at the same target or can he choose a new target?

The exact wording of the cherub reads: Once per game, after a model in this unit had fired, an armorium cherub can reload that model's weapon. WHen it does so, remove the armorium cherub and that model can immediately shoot again.

In that same vein.

When a devastor unit uses it armorium cherub to make a single model of that unit fore again. Must that model shot at the same target or can he choose a new target?

The exact wording of the cherub reads: Once per game, after a model in this unit had fired, an armorium cherub can reload that model's weapon. WHen it does so, remove the armorium cherub and that model can immediately shoot again.

Easy anwer, per the FAQ.

Q. If a model has an ability that allows it to ‘shoot twice’ (e.g.

Maugan Ra and his Whirlwind of Death ability), do I need to
shoot the same target each time or can I choose different targets?
A. Unless otherwise stated, you can shoot different
targets each time it shoots. Resolve the first shooting
attack completely before resolving the second.