How are the Tau faring in 8th so far?

Skaorn

• 2 weeks later...

People seem to complain about Tau a lot. Yeah, they are probably a bit weaker then they where, But I dont mind. I'v been playing Tau since 5th edition and never cared for power but now in 8th edition I found them way more fun to actualy play, and my opponent foudn them way more fun to face. It feels much easier to make a quick mobile force, Yes, Suits lost JSJ, But they still worked quite well. My 6 Crisis suit unit took a charge from two units of chaos marines (One being Raptors) and the suits held the chaos for the entire battle, I only lost 2 suits. I am quite enjoying 8th edition Tau, And I'm looking forwards to their new codex if it will keep them this fun ^_^

Move over Sushi Boys! :-P

Not sure if it's the anger at being in the hospital for over a week making me find this kinda racist or if it's justified. I don't think the impulse to douse his smirfs with gas and set them on fire is a sign my anti-psychotics need to be increased though.

I don't suppose the Konor campaign is keeping track of how each faction is doing in it or is it just tracking whether it was an Imperium/Chaos victory? Needless to say I've been out of circulation and I've got way to much to deal with to look in on it. If they are tracking contributions of Factions like the Tau, it would be interesting to look in on though to see how they fair.

No need to talk about T'au fluff. Many different people with extremely different opinions of how T'au should be like worked on it over the time. It's really messed up right now. ^^

I have friends of Japanese decent, so maybe I am (and I already stated that) but keep in mind that you're implying a connection to them with said sterilizing aliens for being Greys with a vaguely anime styling (Infinity is far more anime imo). Still, it doesn't hurt for people think about what they are saying or writing. Regardless of your statement, I think I would still want to light your smurfs on fire :p

I got to experience the Tau Thursday.   MY opponent has learned several lessons about 8th and wrecked my Orks easily albeit with the aid of my poorly rolling dice. 
Marker lights took me by surprise as they seem to no longer be tokes but a pool.  The Ghost-things, the big ones, Annoying. Stealth Suits seem durable. Storm Surge. Nasty. He had 2 in his list. I had to forfeit on turn 3. Nothing was going my way and I'd not even wiped out a single unit.  
Beware the Fishead's. 

Using Infiltrating units to create an area to deny my sneaky use of Da Jump along with good use of terrain and the overlapping overwatch was truly brutal.

I have friends of Japanese decent, so maybe I am (and I already stated that) but keep in mind that you're implying a connection to them with said sterilizing aliens for being Greys with a vaguely anime styling (Infinity is far more anime imo).

I am Japanese and found it funny...if you're venturing on an online forum be prepared to be offended. Sushi boy is hardly offensive...I make a point to be polite, but I can't begin to censor myself for everything that someone may be bothered by.

A bit pointless to ask for advice without knowing the actual rules, isn't it? :biggrin.:

Well if you read my original post I asked how do those missile turrets work in the very first sentence and then later stated that I didn't know how they worked even prior to 8th. I did this to find out what they were like while still keeping it relevant to the topic, which is why I didn't bother to ask about bleachers or the stormsurge. What is the issue?

The hypocrisy is strong in this one lol

You still haven't answered my question sfPanzer lol.  If you'd like to point out where I said something that could be offensive to someone based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. then I will apologize and actually mean it.

@NOOBST4R:  Fair, I'm just in the habit of picking fights with actual racists over the years (my high school had more than one "ghost" come in for Halloween for example) and I'm punchy from being cooped up for so long. 

So is there anything people feel the Tau are missing having played 8th for a couple of months?

I think my only grumble is that we have 2 phases of the game whereby we don't do anything.

Everyone shoots, near enough everyone else does something in the psychic phase and everyone else has something to do in close combat. At least in the old days we could move suits then :D

I played against primaris recently and they were shooting back when stuff was killed in my own turn! I was also outnumbered which is also indicative that our units/ weapons need points decreases or buffs. With shooting being the only phase whereby we deal damage I honestly think markerlights need a rework as they seem to be too hard to get to work at the moment.

Drones are amazing at keeping suits alive and crisis suits are very durable. I know we can spam commanders and y'vahra to be competitive but it'd be nice to be able to field a balanced list and stand a chance.

What do others think? Is it time we had some combat orientated suits? Kroot aren't the answer. (They're not very good at either job!)

Skaorn, the hypocrisy in your post is getting upset over my friendly Tau jibe whilst you have no issue name calling the Ultras.

The Tau have a lot of aquatic names for their units; Devil Fish, Piranha, Riptide, etc. The jibe has nothing to do with race

I got to experience the Tau Thursday.   MY opponent has learned several lessons about 8th and wrecked my Orks easily albeit with the aid of my poorly rolling dice. 

Marker lights took me by surprise as they seem to no longer be tokes but a pool.  The Ghost-things, the big ones, Annoying. Stealth Suits seem durable. Storm Surge. Nasty. He had 2 in his list. I had to forfeit on turn 3. Nothing was going my way and I'd not even wiped out a single unit.  

Beware the Fishead's. 

Using Infiltrating units to create an area to deny my sneaky use of Da Jump along with good use of terrain and the overlapping overwatch was truly brutal.

Ouch, two Stormsurge suits (with the common loadouts I have seen) run around 400pts a pop... and yeah they are super-nasty. What point totals did you play? The Ghostkeel is pretty brutal as well, especially when its loaded with the fusions. Stealth suits seem to be doing very well, especially with the BC+ATS combo.

Beware the Fishead's. 

Ouch, two Stormsurge suits (with the common loadouts I have seen) run around 400pts a pop... and yeah they are super-nasty. What point totals did you play? The Ghostkeel is pretty brutal as well, especially when its loaded with the fusions. Stealth suits seem to be doing very well, especially with the BC+ATS combo.

We played 2000 points.  I'm sure I'd play against it again I just need to know ahead of time what to expect. I think I invested too many points into artillery and probably should have had a few more vehicles in my list. It might have helped to try to get the objective and run off with it next time.  

Those Stormsurge can do some heavy lifting. 

His deployment was good, he protected his fire warriors and Path finders setting them up in the back. He infiltrated his Stealth Suites and Ghostkeels as well, each had 2 drones of some kind. This kept me from porting mobs of boys over for a charge and left only one side of the table open for that which was far away from where I would have liked to go.  I spent a lot of time going around terrain and not to the objective.  I think this was his first game with his Tau in 8th. I had been expecting lots of Suit units everywhere.  

It surprises me that GW raised points for models so high, as it has a direct effect of reducing the number of those models you will take in an army. You'd think they enjoyed selling models the last time they reduced points per model, but I guess they didn't.

SJ

Well they sold so many Riptides and Crisis, they now want to sell Pathfinder and Drones. :P

Jokes aside, GW isn't just about selling models anymore. New GW actually does seem to care about the game itself. Are the units too expensive? Yeah quite a bit. Will stay this expensive when we get our Codex? Unlikely.

I played again yesterday against guard and by comparison their stuff is disgustingly cheap for what they gave access to.

Sadly the most effective things again were the commander and seeker missiles. Only got two turns done bit killed a shadowsword first turn. Without the commander or seekers I'd have struggled to do so.

Weapon costs need to be unit specific or just a general substantial drop. I love rail weapons but I'll be running ion on the cuda as it's half the points. Guard weapons are embarrassingly cheap by comparison.

They need to adapt quicker than the borg. Markerlight changes ala previous edition would go a long way. Too many things currently woefully inaccurate which for a shooting reliant force, is an issue.

Reading over this it looks like i'll be in for an up hill battle when i use my tau again, havent played them since early 6th but never went riptide wing so theres a silver lining.

Hopefully an infantry heavy list will work these days, as i use to run 40 firewarriors, 10 pathfinders with crisis and stealth teams.

I also run infantry heavy and never bought into spam.

Taking objectives isn't the difficult bit it's killing things I find. I managed to kill a shadowsword in the first turn but it took an insane amount of firepower to drop. (10 fusion blasters, 4 destroyers, 8 seekers...)

Across two turns I'd killed the shadowsword, a wyvern, a hellhound and dropped a lightning down to 2 wounds and the other 2 hounds heavily damaged. This was a 2500 point game.

Due to wrong brass rod arriving I also gave the stormsurge it's final outing (replaced the y'vahra the rod was needed for). Destroyers were useful but not worth the investment of a whole stormsurge.

Despite the gripes about riptides in 8th I think a nova charged ion accelerator is one of the better non fw anti tank options.

Ultimately if you don't want to spam commanders (I don't!) then it'll take creativity or fw for tank killing.

My commander and bodyguards run pure fusion and that helps a huge amount!

Eh the Ion Accelerator is alright against tanks. Better than the Heavy burst cannon for sure but that's not its purpose so that's hardly an argument.

If you want some non-commander anti-tank you could always just include a Ghostkeel or Crisis Suits or Longstrike&Friends. T'au really have more options than just spamming Commander.

Overall if I had to take a Riptide I would always go with Heavy burst cannon + ATS.

12 S6 AP-3 D1 shots > 1d6 S9 AP-3 S3 shots. Especially with our bad BS.