How are the Tau faring in 8th so far?

Skaorn

Eh then his definition of dead is weird because it's still a very active forum with lots of new player and people who help those player. It's a bit low on army projects and batreps but I'd say that's mostly due the wait for the new Codex.

I'm just here because I'm interested in more things than just T'au and to be honest don't like most mods there for various reasons (not really heavy reasons, just minor things that irk me) tho that's not a topic to talk over in another forum. ;) Oh and because of the forum events which are pretty awesome tbh. Can't get that somewhere else. :P

I last checked when they transitioned to the new server and setup. There was barely anyone posting and even the most popular sections only had a few active threads. Call it a "small but loyal" following if you will, but it seemed like it had completely lost half its userbase since I joined up there. I also don't understand how you can say it has a small community in one post, then in the next say it's a very active forum with lots of new players?

It completely lacked any real reason to be part of the community there is what I mean. Plus even the most trafficked section, General Discussion, has threads two months old at the bottom of the first page, showing that very few new threads are made regularly.

Anyway, I find Facebook Groups are generally devouring forums these days, other than the B&C here which has enough community spirit to stand on its own merits for the most part. The forum challenges and the like are great for keeping people coming back, though I basically just live in the Guard section.

Because even tho it is pretty active it's small in comparison to huge forums like this. That's how I can say it.

And yes there are not many new threads. That's because it follows a different post policy than this forum. There user are actually encouraged to revive old threads if it fits the topic instead of opening a new similar one.

I am in a few facebook groups and I have to disagree. Facebook groups are a mess and more like chatrooms than actual forums. No comparison. I am in a kitbash facebook group for example and even tho I saw some extremely awesome conversions there, after a few weeks it's almost impossible to find stuff again, while in a Forum I could simply go back to that thread and would have everything there.

It's more like the smaller forums disappeared because people started to gather in the bigger forums like this one. The facebook groups are just additional stuff but no actual replacement.

This is literally the only active forum in the community, other than Dakka, which isn't solely staffed by a hardcore, small group of loyal fans. All the others are dead. BoLS, 3++, Warseer especially, Second Sphere, Tau Online, dead.

ATT is...well it's there. There are a few people posting in it. However, most sections seem to get ignored so I found it useless for what I needed, (feedback of painting blogs, etc.)

yeah, it interesting what actually makes up the people playing w40k or other GW games right now. Because here we got an influx of people with 8th[awesome], the thing is non of those people are new new folks, but people that droped off in 4-6th ed [people that left in 7th didn't come back]. I know it is a weak argument, but I heard stuff like that from people that hang around german, russian or people from other slavic countries . Seems to be a trend at least in central europe, I wonder how much this is a case for places outside of UK. And lets be honest. Most 35+years olds don't hang around forums. Forums do die from inertia.

On the flip side. smaller sub formus mean less mod control, so you lose some, you win some.