Question about Rebirth

AD-B's mentioned this as a story which is often brushed under the carpet, though he never clarified the reason. I'm thinking it's either to do with the timeline or the treatment of a certain character, whose identity is going in a spoiler.

That'd be Khârn. Having read it, I could see his portrayal jarring somewhat with AD-B's. His clear hatred for the Thousand Sons seems out of whack with his sympathy for Esca.

Timeline issues I find easier to accept. Horus charges Khârn with retrieving an artifact. An odd move given Khârn's role as equerry to Angron but hey, Angron's just hunting down the broken remnants of the Shattered Legions on Isstvan V, not like he's gonna need advice. Khârn can link up with him well before they reach Ultramar.

AD-B's mentioned this as a story which is often brushed under the carpet, though he never clarified the reason. I'm thinking it's either to do with the timeline or the treatment of a certain character, whose identity is going in a spoiler.

That'd be Khârn. Having read it, I could see his portrayal jarring somewhat with AD-B's. His clear hatred for the Thousand Sons seems out of whack with his sympathy for Esca.

Timeline issues I find easier to accept. Horus charges Khârn with retrieving an artifact. An odd move given Khârn's role as equerry to Angron but hey, Angron's just hunting down the broken remnants of the Shattered Legions on Isstvan V, not like he's gonna need advice. Khârn can link up with him well before they reach Ultramar.

It was from a period of little oversight. I've mentioned it a few times, as clear as I'm allowed to make it:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/228631-age-of-darkness-rebirth/?p=2740576

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/228631-age-of-darkness-rebirth/?p=2740600

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/326860-so-the-blood-ravens-are-not-descended-from-the-thousand-sons/?p=4532659

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a further question for AD-B: chronologically where does Khârn's treasure hunt sit in comparison to Delvarus finding Khayon? Guessing some weeks before.

Wherever you like. Wherever and whenever makes the most sense to you.

I don't know, and whenever me and Alan Bligh chewed it over, we could never work out when it would have happened, so it doesn't factor into my thinking all that much. 

Let me put it this way. Khârn is looking for a cure to Chaos in that story. If that fits in with where you see the World Eaters are, at that point in time, all good. If it doesn't align with other lore, then that's fine, too. But I don't know the answer to when it happens in relation to anything else - and that's not Chris's fault; it was - as I've said a squillion times - written at a time of very little oversight, without considering how it would/might conflict with other stuff.

Edited by A D-B

I always figured Lheor's detachment was very much seperate to Khârn's.

Makes total sense, that way. I like it a lot.

My dissatisfaction here isn't directed at anyone (or, obviously, the story) but not having a good enough answer for the rare times I'm asked. I hate not being able to offer up something useful when people take the time to ask. 

tl;dr -- Makes sense, go with that.

I've got a further question for AD-B: chronologically where does Khârn's treasure hunt sit in comparison to Delvarus finding Khayon? Guessing some weeks before.

Wherever you like. Wherever and whenever makes the most sense to you.

I don't know, and whenever me and Alan Bligh chewed it over, we could never work out when it would have happened, so it doesn't factor into my thinking all that much. 

Let me put it this way. Khârn is looking for a cure to Chaos in that story. If that fits in with where you see the World Eaters are, at that point in time, all good. If it doesn't align with other lore, then that's fine, too. But I don't know the answer to when it happens in relation to anything else - and that's not Chris's fault; it was - as I've said a squillion times - written at a time of very little oversight, without considering how it would/might conflict with other stuff.

From the characters and chronological point of view - it is definitely goes before the Scars and after the TS/Prospero Burns. So maybe Khârn used some warp science and get to Prospero after which he went to his Shadow Crusade again. And from where on Betrayer starts.

Just my opinion

• 2 months later...
Realised there's a totally obvious answer to why Khârn acted as he did. He was on Prospero, a world close to the aether and in turmoil from the Burning, not to mention up close with a powerful psyker. That's guaranteed to mess with the Nails.