Xenomortis' Deathwatch

xenomortis

I'm working on my Mortis right now and have painted the right shin guard in the Chapter colour rather than the shoulder as it was a slightly smaller space to work with and thus the original chapter colours won't take up too much of a model that should largely be black and silver. I figured that the marine would still want some nod to his origins even while interred.

Nice Dread, xeno-mortis. Those are definitely the best panels to use from the Ven Dread kit for for DW

Pictures :D

I'm working on my Mortis right now and have painted the right shin guard in the Chapter colour rather than the shoulder as it was a slightly smaller space to work with and thus the original chapter colours won't take up too much of a model that should largely be black and silver. I figured that the marine would still want some nod to his origins even while interred.

Nice Dread, xeno-mortis. Those are definitely the best panels to use from the Ven Dread kit for for DW

Pictures :biggrin.:

Don't want to threadjack with my own pics, but here's a link to my log:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/325660-deathwatch-270617-crimson-scythe-dread-legs/page-3

Pictures :biggrin.:

Don't want to threadjack with my own pics, but here's a link to my log:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/325660-deathwatch-270617-crimson-scythe-dread-legs/page-3

Love your work sockwithaticket, taken a lot of inspiration from your thread.

Got a game tonight - 4 player carnage at 65 power level each. I am running the following Patrol Detachment:

HQ

Watch master

Troops

Kill team 5 veterans

2 frag cannons

2 boltguns

Sgt with combi plasma / power sword

Vanguard veteran with HTH

Kill team 5 veterans

5 stalker pattern boltguns

Terminator

Cyclone missile launcher

Kill team 5 veterans

2 frag cannons

2 boltguns

Sgt with combi plasma / xenophase blade

Transport

Razorback

Twin lascannon

Elites

Venerable dreadnought

Twin lascannon

Flyer

Corvus blackstar

Twin assault cannon

Hurricane bolter

Stormstrike missiles

Auspex array

The kill team with the vanguard vet will be in the Corvus ready to grab the central objective at a suitable time. The stalkers and dread will sit back and take out opportune targets. The 3rd kill team will ride in the razorback again steadily moving towards the central objective. Not sure where to put my Watch Master yet. I think he will probably ride in the Corvus as they will be the main strike team.

Playing against Tau, Genestealer Cult and Guard on an 8x4. I think this will be a challenge to say the least!

Played the 4 player game Friday night. It was pretty brutal!

This is from memory but army lists were something along the lines of:

Deathwatch ​- as above

​Astra militarum

​Tank commander in a Leman Russ Demolisher

2 infantry commanders

Approx 60 infantry

Various heavy weapon teams

Leman Russ battle tank

Ratlings

3 sentinels

Eversor assassin

​Tau

​Darkstrider

Cadre fireblade

Longstrike in a railhead

2 devilfish

Pathfinders

Fire warriors

Sniper drones

Ghostkeel

​Genestealer cult

​Patriarch

Magus

Approx 50 infantry

Approx 30 stealers

3 goliaths

3 sentinels

Needless to say looking at the hordes of infantry infront of me I was a little worried...

The carnage scenario is a single, central objective which if you hold at the end of the turn (all 4 players) you score a single VP.

Deployment looked like this:

http://i.imgur.com/vD2PTHZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5zMebBt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mUYBnwe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Dc33o0M.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tXSL7u1.jpg

Genestealer cult player held most of his stuff in reserve or in transports, hence off the board. The guard player played with mostly Necromunda models lol and used old metal wraith lords as counts as sentinels.

I went first. I deployed my stalkers and terminator in a tower with the dread and watch master close by. The Razorback in some 'trees' and corvus well back. I moved the corvus forward over most of the guard and the squad in the razorback disembarked. In my shooting I managed to kill about half of the guard infantry, a sentinel and stripped a few damage off a devilfish.

Guard went next, moved up and destroyed my corvus and the squad in it. However it exploded and took 9 guardsmen with it :) He also took 3 damage off my dread and killed 2 vets from my other squad. From that point I was on the back foot!

Tau 1st turn killed another DW vet and stripped a few damage from a goliath

GSC held pretty much everything in reserve but moved up what was on the board. The magus deep striked in near the railhead and took control of it with his psychic ability which was amusing. With the railhead he killed a full squad of fire warriors with the missiles and the heavy railgun shot at a russ but failed to wound. With other stuff he did managed to strip 8 damage from the demolisher tank commander.

In this scenario you roll off after every turn.

GSC went again and rinsed tau. Killed a lot of infantry and also quite a few guardsmen including finishing off the demolisher.

I went next and had a disappointing turn. I moved up with my remaining vets and the razorback. I had forged an alliance with guard (at the cost of 1vp) so didn't have too many targets. I did chip a few damage off a goliath and that was about it.

Tau turn 2 grabbed the objective and killed a lot of GSC

http://i.imgur.com/0ylwCNg.jpg

Turn 3:

I went first and moved my 2 remaining vets onto the objective. They both had frag cannons but I couldn't kill enough tau to be in with a chance of claiming a point.

Tau went next, failed to kill my vets but did manage to again keep the GSC at bay.

Guard went next and moved onto the objective with a few infantry. The eversor assassin came in via deep strike and charged my 2 vets on the objective and killed them. That affectively ended my game as the razorback couldn't scale the central tower to claim the objective and my backfield was too isolated. I conceded.

After this all the genestealers came in via deep strike and removed the majority of the tau.

http://i.imgur.com/PAqnFLi.jpg

Tau and guard killed them off leaving 5 tau models to claim a second VP.

Tau 2 VP's

GSC 1 VP

DW 0

AM 0

Things I learnt:

• Frag cannons are still good and smash face, especially within 8"
  • The stalker squad with terminator backed up by the watch master is a good combo. I was on average hitting 9/10 stalker shots and wounding with the 2+ rounds the majority of these. I think this squad will be involved in most games
  • Be more aggressive with the dreadnought. Too expensive to just sit and snipe
  • Don't be as aggressive with the corvus or it will die quickly
  • Ghostkeels are annoyingly tough but don't offer much damage output
  • I need more speed in future lists. Once my corvus was shot down and the squad inside it died quickly after I didn't have much mobility. I need some deep strike ability I feel and also try to get my bikes into the list

Awesome batrep!  I'll have to give it a more thorough read when I have time, but I definitely get the "being aggressive" thing.  I've played some passive games in 8th and it feels like board control/taking terrain features is MUCH more important now, almost like a table top version of DoWII.  This is a good thing, IMO.  :)

I've been thinking about my Deathwatch composition and feel I'm currently lacking deep strikers. I have ordered a pack of mixed chapter terminator shoulder pads from Shapeways so intend to start fielding a unit of 5 terminators. What are people running in terms of loadout in terminator squads? I'm thinking:

3 assault cannon / power swords

2 TH/SS

That's 285 points so not horrendously priced and packing a punch. No one can ignore 18 S6 Ap-1 shots in their backfield...

The chapter pads I have ordered are:

Iron lords

Minotaurs

Mortifactors

Angels of vengeance

Dark hunters

Red hunters

Exorcists

Angels of redemption

Space wolves (The sons of Morkai)

Sons of medusa

Edited by xenomortis

Love me some assault cannons in the backfield. Decent mix of Terminator pads too, let us know how they are when you get them! I currently have only have a Templar, Dark Angel and Blood Angels should pad for my Terminators (and the BA one is just 3 blood drops not the full on angel wings!)

Where abouts in our fine county are you btw?

Love me some assault cannons in the backfield. Decent mix of Terminator pads too, let us know how they are when you get them! I currently have only have a Templar, Dark Angel and Blood Angels should pad for my Terminators (and the BA one is just 3 blood drops not the full on angel wings!)

Where abouts in our fine county are you btw?

I already had quite a few Deathwing pads from my Dark Angels army so that was an easy one. I managed to get a big box of Space Wolves sprues from eBay for quite cheap which contained a usable shoulder pad and I bought the Overkill models which included the Salamander. 

Blood Angels and Black Templars are pretty easy to get hold of on eBay and bits sites. Then not as easily available from Forgeworld there are Ultramarines, Imperial / Crimson Fists, Red Scorpions, Astral claws and Minotaurs. 

Maybe we should try and get some kind of shoulder pad swap shop going? I'm sure we will all have shoulder pads going spare that people could make use of! This may be against forum rules...

I will take some pics once my termies are built / painted. Also think I'm going to order Artemis for my second HQ. 

I'm in Wakefield, West Yorkshire :smile.:

Edited by xenomortis

The chapter pads I have ordered are:

Iron lords

Minotaurs

Mortifactors

Angels of vengeance

Dark hunters

Red hunters

Exorcists

Angels of redemption

Space wolves (The sons of Morkai)

Sons of medusa

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/012/542/thumb-up-terminator_pablo_M_R.jpg

I played 3 games on Friday night with my Deathwatch. We played the 'Patrol' scenario at 500 points (not enough for Deathwatch). The list I ran was:

Ordo xenos inquisitor (psyker)

Needle pistol 

Force sword

Deathwatch kill team (5 veterans)

2 frag cannons

2 boltguns

Sgt combi plasma / power sword

Deathwatch kill team (5 veterans)

5 stalker pattern boltguns

Inquisitorial acolyte (1 acolyte)

Plasma gun

Razorback

Twin lascannon

It is a kill points game, so 1VP for every unit destroyed. My opponents were Tau and Genestealer Cult and we each had 5 units. 

First game was against Tau. I lost the roll off and was the attacker (poorer stratagems IMO). You have to deploy 3 units and hold everything else in reserve so I deployed the frag cannon team, the inquisitor and the single acolyte. First turn went well and I killed a number of pathfinders and lost 1 veteran to a rail rifle. Second turn my opponent made it really difficult to bring anything on using his defender stratagems. The stalker team managed to come on but the razorback failed. I managed to kill a few more Tau infantry but not much really. My opponent then teleported 6 stealth suits into a crater near my lines and basically smashed me off the board. I was tabled by turn 3 and lost 4 - 0 (my razorback didn't even get on the board).

Second game vs Genestealer Cult I learnt my lesson and started with the frag cannon kill team and  inquisitor in the razorback, the stalker team in a crater and the single acolyte in cover. Thus nothing in reserve. It again started off pretty well, I reduced his Goliath to 1D, took both squads of hybrids down to a couple of remaining troops and was in a good position. Then the squad of 10 genestealers and a patriarch came in from reserve and removed me from the board. Tabled by turn 3 (again). Admittedly my rolling was terrible, at 1 point a rolled 4 1s in a row for marine armor saves which basically lost me the game.

Third game we played a 3 player game with the same rules and armies (apart from putting in the extra rule of +1VP for slay the warlord). After my terrible show in the first 2 games I was determined and managed to get a draw 5-5-5. I gave the stealth suit team some payback and removed them from the board with a mixture of frag cannon shots and smite from the inquisitor. I was in a good position to win it turn 5, tau completely removed but couldn't hold the genestealers back, they are just so fast! Was a good game though and I enjoyed it more than the previous 2...

Takeaways from the games....

• Smite is good - I consistently removed mortal wounds from pretty much everything in range
  • Frag cannons once again the star of show. The 2D6 auto hits within 8" is devastating 
  • Not sure about the stalker pattern boltguns. I think in objective games they could be good back field campers but in this scenario they didn't really pay their points back
  • Razorbacks are pretty tough and have decent damage output. I even took a genestealer down in overwatch 
  • Stealth suits are super annoying to kill and can throw out a lot of dakka
  • I will persevere with my Deathwatch and find a formula that works :)

• 1 month later...

Not posted for a while, had a few games and I'm struggling to chalk a win. A combination of still not really knowing what to field and having some terrible luck! My last game I fielded a squad of 3 bikes and they did well, I plan to run a full squad of 5 next game. Couple of pics of some models I've finished recently:

2jHlFs3.jpg

1QsGj3a.jpg

Full squad of 5 bikes (White Scars, Ravenwing, Red Talons, Knights of Gryphonne and Ultramarines) with 3 power swords and 2 power mauls

LXJnF4x.jpg

HiILT85.jpg

Full squad of 5 termies (Exorcists, Angels of Vengeance, Angels of Retribution, Space Wolves (The Sons of Morkai) and Red Hunters) with 3 assault cannons/power swords and 2 TH/SS

• 1 month later...

I recently had a game against Tau which I have been having real difficulties beating. I unveiled my secret weapon which as you can imagine was a destroyer! My leviathan dread:

fVsWsJb.jpg

qZM1q0V.jpg

d3wt5Dw.jpg

Both arms are magnetised so I can opt for the storm cannon array, grav flux bombard or siege drill. Against tau I went for the twin ranged option and it quite easily made its points back killing multiple fully kitted out battle suits. I had it supported by a librarian casting Might of Heroes on it every turn to make it T9 and also a watch master for the rerolls. I bubble wrapped them in a veteran squad with stalker boltguns. 

We did however house rule the 'relic' rule allowing me to field it without another heavy support choice. On the back of this I wanted to play to the rules so got these:

RQuZk47.jpg

3oDH5Xl.jpg

IQCyVjU.jpg

4mZsKhM.jpg

FbvkVeJ.jpg

I went for 2 ultima founding chapters (Rift stalkers and Knights of the Chalice) and 3 chapters that fluff wise have received Primaris Marines (Crimson fists, Scythes of the Emperor and Silver skulls).

I haven't play tested them yet but I'm hoping they can provide some well needed heavy support.