Datasheets from different factions in a homebrew chapter?

Adeptus

Ok, so I've got a homebrew chapter in the works. And I really want to use some Dark Angels units in it, but I also really want to use some generic SM units.

Basically, I love the Sternguard veteran models and I want to use them.

I also really want to use the Ravenwing Black Knight and the Deathwing knight models.

So, using the Adeptus Astartes or Imperium Keywords, I want to smoosh all these units together in a single detachment, with a single cohesive paintscheme as part of a homebrew chapter.

The Chapter will be a Dark Angels successor, so will keep some of the iconography. The theme of the chapter is 'knightly order' so think knights templar, crusades, secret orders, holy wars, that kinda thing. The look of the Dark Angels models really suits, the Black Knights and Deathwing Knights fit the theme, the Sternguard really have the robed, decorated look I'm going for.

So can anyone see any obvious problems with using multiple sources in a homebrew chapter like that?

Would it be worthwhile trying to keep the choices fairly generic or at least magnetised so that, if future rules changes stop me from taking Deathwing Knights or Black Knights in my space marines, that I could count them as Assault Terminators or normal Bikers?

Its legal. I am smushing units from the various codexes as well. On the right shoulder pad I am coloring it for the chapter I am taking the unit from. I.e. Red for Blood Angels, Grey for Space Wolves, Dark Green for Dark Angels....

Yeah, you aren't ACTUALLY breaking any rules. Everything shares the Adeptus Astartes or Imperium banner, so fine to run together. But your auras and buffs will get wonky, as any non-Dark Angel gets left out. But just mark those units as different and you're golden.

THOUGH...are Dark Angel veterans just not a thing anymore? Don't have my index on me, but if all you want are robed veterans, DA should be able to oblige...

Ok, so further to my original post I have decided that the least confusing option for both my opponents and myself is to just use a single list.

I can use the models that I want as either generic SM or counts-as Dark Angels, since the profiles are practically identical in each list. Deathwing Knights become Assault Terminators (with hammers instead of maces) and Black Knights become veterans on bikes (and lose their corvus hammer thingies) while going the other way, Sterguard vets become Company vets.

Now, I'm leaning towards using the models (with an alternate paint scheme) as generic SM since that gives me the greatest flexibility IMO. I would likely keep the DA iconography as removing it from things like the Deathwing Knights looks like it would be a right bitch. I'd have to replace those shields entirely and a fair bit of carving on their robes.

But, Angels and swords and eagles/wings are pretty common iconography through the Imperium, so I feel like I'd be able to keep it if I was using a markedly different heraldic scheme. I would probably use a chapter name like Angels of Retribution or Angels of Contempt, to justify the similar iconography.

Of course, if people had a problem with it then I could either invest in the time and effort to remove most of the DA iconography, or just run them under the DA rules as some kind of successor chapter. But I don't feel right using them as a DA successor chapter so I'd rather use the generic SM rules. I think changing the iconic DA colours would give the army a distinct enough look, especially couple with a few key conversions.

Thoughts? If you saw re-painted DAs on the table opposite you, would you expect them to be using the DA or generic SM rules? Would you care? If you expected one and got the other, would that be a problem?

Dude, if you're actually using the deathwing and ravenwing models, it's going to be super easy to tell that is a dark angel and what isn't even if painted like your customers chapter.

When using codex marines, just saying 'these are a generic unit of the type, not the special dark angel ones' should be enough. Probably not for WYSIWYG tournaments though.

Black Knights are tricky because of the twin plasma and hammers, especially as regular bikers and command bikers can take plasma. Magnetise if you can.