Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Disciples vs Marauders

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Kinstryfe

Kinstryfe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 111 posts
  • Chapter Name: All things Heresy
How do you all differentiate them? I can't find any particular guidelines. They both just seem to be guys with guns on small bases. Is there protocol for the models? Right now I'm planning on just using my normal converted guard for both. Is that ok, or should I get moving on converting those 4 AoS starter sets into marauders? Is it ok to use similar models if I can make it obvious which is which?

Akrim

Akrim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 771 posts
There is no official models, and their stats are similar. As long as the weapons are what theyre supposed to be and you know whos who, fill your boots.

Karinon

Karinon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 70 posts
I'm giving my marauders scion helmets and my disciples chaos warrior helmets with the horns removed.

So what are people giving their Marauders and Disciples then?

I'm building a bunch of 5 man Marauder squads with 2x Sniper rifles, five squads is only 160pts for 10x sniper shots a turn. Not sure if building a couple of squads with Plasma and sticking them in a Valkyrie is a good idea or not.

With Disciples having BS 3+ I'm giving them all Lascannons because even our vehicles are only BS 4+ so it's wasting the good BS not to give them a heavy weapon. The obvious special is Plasma as Grenades are poor and a flamer is wasting the BS again.

Edited by Karinon, 14 July 2017 - 05:07 AM.

• sanityimpaired likes this

Blackheart1223

Blackheart1223

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 183 posts
  • Chapter Name: Red Corsairs
My army is composed primarily from Skaven models so my marauders are just humans.
  • sanityimpaired likes this
<p>"The strong are strongest alone."-Huron Blackheart

Kinstryfe

Kinstryfe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 111 posts
I have a far too large guard infantry army, so right now they're mostly Cadians with the pig iron productions gasmask heads of most types. Nobody, purposely, has an exposed face. So I could field a ton of whatever as them. I am working on converting the Blood... Whatevertheyare the human barbarians from the AoS starter set into Marauders with either pistols and ccw, or shotguns (a horrid conversion but there you go). So far I have 2 6-man teams of shotguns with 2 meltas, and a 10 man squad with two flamers and laspistols. I have 80 (flgs had the starter for $35 last black Friday so I bought 4...) so they can probably fill out all my Marauders needs while my guardsmen act as disciples. That way if I ever actually play a game, there will be no question to my opponent.
Additionally, I plan on using at least two units of 20 poxwalkers for meat shields, and they are a split of poxwalkers and cultist models from Dark Vengeance. Painted in identical ways, they mix up pretty ok looking with cultists as less mutated but still sickly looking, and let's me only have a few duped models per squad, and use models of literally not assembled before.

Edit: to cover some of the rest, I have about a half dozen priest models converted or painted as khorne priests to use as malefic lords (were priests if using imperial rules). I for some reason have 4 ork trucks all converted up and crazy looking I think I'm going to use as chimeras for the Marauders, while disciples would get regular chimeras. Mutants are mostly old gw "mutant kit" mutants, many with added ghoul heads (giant body tiny head looks good to me on mutants). I also have 4 old "big mutant" conversions to use as either spawn or ogryns if I decide to ever field them.
I also decided to see if I had any daemons lying around to add. Khorne, I scrounged up almost 60 bloodletters, 10 chaos hounds I'm painting as flesh hounds, 10 old whfb 5th era flesh hounds, an unassembled daemon Prince kit, a metal bloodthirser, and 4 old converted metal bloodcrushers and several more chariots and juggernauts. So I basically found an army in my bitz box, but I can't stand painting most of the metal models, so the plastics are getting painted now for a good extra thousand points or so. I may have a slight plastic addiction...

Edited by Kinstryfe, 16 July 2017 - 01:26 AM.

• Akrim likes this

GreaterChickenofTzeentch

GreaterChickenofTzeentch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 196 posts

One of my Renegade armies represents House Malinax Men at Arms, so my Heretek Marauders are a combo of Skitarii Vanguard/Rangers, Wargames Factory Shock Troop, and Cadian bits.

The Mutants from that army are a combination of Servitor bits (including Kataphrons), Catachans, and some of the unarmored gunners/loaders from certain old Guard vehicle kits, plus Anvil Industry Regiments bionic arms and legs.

My Stalker Marauders and my Disciples work for my Fallen. They are a combo of Cadian, Catachan, and Wargames Factory Shock Troop bits.

For Psyker Covens, I'll use spare Kairic Adepts from Silver Tower. Malefic Lords will be Cadian Officers with some occulty bits glued on and Puppetswar flaming skull heads.

totgeboren

totgeboren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,343 posts
  • Chapter Name: Word Bearers

As I understood it, Marauders are supposed to represent elite mercenaries or different kinds, units not really fully part of the main army. Note that they do not have the Uncertain Worth rule, and as such are not really cultists. 

Disciples are instead the most elite cultist veterans.

So I would model mine with that in mind, not having the Marauders in the exact same style/colors as the main army (mine are in a sort of mutant-mad-max style, with the main army being more in the style of the GW cultists).

• Akrim likes this
WfHLk2F.jpgETL_2014_Banner_V2_04_Primus_Inter_Paresgallery_29004_6198_3277.png

“What started out as a pleasant afternoon of drugs and surgery has not gone as planned.”

-Zoidberg

My Chaos stuff, Descent 2ed, and home-made ZM board!

Karinon

Karinon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 70 posts
Disciple lascannon squads, keep them cheap at 5 or pad wounds with 10/15?

Worth giving them a plasma as well at 5 strong or just bigger squads?

Kinstryfe

Kinstryfe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 111 posts
I'm building all of mine as 10 strong with a heavy and special weapon, but I think it depends on what you have in mind for the unit. Line holding units, I imagine bigger is better. If you're using it to snipe with the lascannon, just 5 models may be ok. So far I've built two squads of las/plas since mine will be lineholders (if they ever see a table). Hopefully someone who gets in more game time will have some more practiced advice :)

Karinon

Karinon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 70 posts
Yeah, I'm building them 10 strong to give me the option to run them small or large.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users