A return to the Death Guard and a new start.

Good to see you back, your original force was a great inspiration for when I first got into the hobby and converting my own 40k DG. While I have since moved on into heresy, I'm still super stoked to see your creativity again.

The blight fiend was an idea I had brewing too - your execution is outstanding though.

As for paint, you have done white scheme before, perhaps try something new?  There is risk that if the forces are too similar there will be a cross over of ideas and even regrets.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. :)

Ah, I see - that looks great - looking forward to seeing it finished. :)

Good to see you've finally resurfaced! I've been a long time lurker of yours on here, DakkaDakka, and Warseer. Glad to see your back at it!

If you're referring to the Chaos Knight that I remember from your Dakka log then I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how it's progressing. Even if it's not, I'm eager to see what your cooking up!

Yup, thats the one - ironically, since Nurgle doesn't use all those pointed stars/spikes, I had to remove all those chaos stars I had painstakingly glued on - took forever to remove! 

Good to see you back, your original force was a great inspiration for when I first got into the hobby and converting my own 40k DG. While I have since moved on into heresy, I'm still super stoked to see your creativity again.

The blight fiend was an idea I had brewing too - your execution is outstanding though.

As for paint, you have done white scheme before, perhaps try something new?  There is risk that if the forces are too similar there will be a cross over of ideas and even regrets.

Thanks - it's always a pleasure when my work inspires someone. :)

Regarding the paint scheme - I have a feeling you're right. I have a hunch that I'll feel I'm doing the same army again, and therefore grow tired of it. I have a new tester or 2 in the works, and then I'll see what will be the winner. 

Hi guys - today I'm showing off some minor plague marine conversions I've done. Since I got my hands on 2 sets of the Nurgle part of the starter set, I wanted to do some conversions - I'm not a fan of all the miniatures, and I wanted to do some tweaks. This way, when the (hopefully) 10 man multi part plague marine kit comes out, I have 11 marines already, giving me a grand total of three 7 man units - with no duplicates.

Without further ado, here they are:

First off - I really really hated the sorcerer. In my opinion, it's just a straight out horrible miniature. Kraut Scientist (of Eternal Hunt fame) seems to have made it right somehow, but from the first time I saw the Champion of the Plague Marine unit, I thought he'd make a much better sorcerer. Very simple conversion, just a few arm swaps (with a staff from the Blight Kings kit):

sorc1.jpg

Also since I've got 2 Noxious Blightbringers, and doubt that I'll be using even one, I thought he is a great miniature, and with the addition of a power fist and the arm from the "grenade guy", he looks like an awesome champion. I also disliked the weird horns on the guy on the left, so I scraped them off, and reposed his left arm in a more dynamic open position:

cpm1.jpg

Next up is my second plasma gunner, using the arms from the bolter "duplicate guy", so they would have different shoulder pads, and a head swap - I really prefer the MkIII helmets. The other guy is made using a leftover belly plate and the legs from the sorcerer, scraped free from the insect stuff - not sure about the head though:

cpm2.jpg

Last up is my second champion, just a simple matter of grinding away the hooded head (still needs some greenstuff touchups), and putting on a disgusting, bloated bare head (I think it is an alternative head from the Glottkin kit). The last guy, on the right, is made using another "duplicate marine" body, the sorcers shoulder pads, a bolter scraped free from the left hand, the torso from the sorcerer, and a head from the blight kings. I really like this one:

cpm3.jpg

As always, comments are much appreciated. :)

Damn your work is amazing man, those daemon engines are just breathtaking, and this last daemon prince is VERY promising. I think that legs would fit him better, though it is true that a long skirt woul give him kind of a grim reaper vibe... Can't wait to see what you end up doing!

Hell yeah. One reason I came back to the B&C was in the hope that some of the great forge posters might be working on the new Death Guard, and as soon as I saw this thread I knew my expectations were about to be exceeded. Really excellent work on those daemon engines.

I absolutely love the plaguemarine conversions, very inspirational stuff. I agree about the sorcerer (only disappointing model in the set) and that plague champion looks much better.

What's the faceplate on the dread, by the way?

Damn your work is amazing man, those daemon engines are just breathtaking, and this last daemon prince is VERY promising. I think that legs would fit him better, though it is true that a long skirt woul give him kind of a grim reaper vibe... Can't wait to see what you end up doing!

Thanks! I'm just not sure what kind of legs would fit - any ideas? The skirt is sort of a default solution.

wow man, these are amaaazing! the drone fiend in particukar - thats propper nurgly!

Thanks - I've grown very fond of it myself - it has a wonderful steampunk meets Dark Mechanicus meets Nurgle vibe. :)

Hell yeah. One reason I came back to the B&C was in the hope that some of the great forge posters might be working on the new Death Guard, and as soon as I saw this thread I knew my expectations were about to be exceeded. Really excellent work on those daemon engines.

I absolutely love the plaguemarine conversions, very inspirational stuff. I agree about the sorcerer (only disappointing model in the set) and that plague champion looks much better.

What's the faceplate on the dread, by the way?

Long time, no write - great to hear from you again. :) And thanks for the kind words - they really do inspire me to push myself. 

The dreadnoughts faceplate is an ogre kingdoms mask/head - It's from the Iron Blaster kit: 

WhAoS-Regni-degli-Ogre-Sparaferro-Ogre-T

I just tweaked it a bit and cut a small end of a plastic bit, for an eye. 

I would go legs, but make something off about them, too short, too spindly, 1 too many, something just off. Also, I am thrilled that you are back, the conversions you do are still the most inspiring set of models I have seen.

The Daemon Prince is off to a good start!!

Very Frankenstein-esque

For some weird reason, I think how would look  quite unique if he had no legs at all.

The very thin part blow his chest going to the angular section where a pelvis would be look very mechanical in nature, so Maybe he has rotted away below the chest area and the drone pats arr there so he can move around

Maybe a curtain of chains or something similar to give him "height", but with lots of barbed hooks etc for ensnaring victims?

I'm on fire here! Update: 

dp2.jpg

I wanted to echo the brilliant circular saw theme that Morbäck (the guy behind the awesome Plaguebones army, and the new GW DG) has implemented on the Lord of Contagion, so I grabbed some plasticard and some orc bits and went to town on his scythe. I've also given him a shoulder pad, and begun to tinker with his armour, maybe even giving him a third corrupted arm. I'm really curious about the lower body though - I dug out my old, beaten up Dark Mechanicus DP, saw the lower body that had fallen off in the bits box, and began to wonder... Is it too much Mechanicus or just the right amount for a Nurgle Daemon Prince with rotors? Please let me know. :) 

Wow, great work on the Death Guard.

I'm kinda jealous about your DP right now, as I'm struggling to make a cool Nurgle Daemon Prince. And here you are just acing it out of the park. I was suggested the same ogre head by KrautSCientist, so don't be mad if I'm going to use that. 

One nitpick: his left hand should also be holding a second sideways grip on the scythe. NOT like the FW Mortarion, by the way, as that Scythe is even more redonculous - he'll be breaking his wrist with every swipe, whereas your DP will just have a very inefficient swipe. Check out pictures of scythes on google pictures and you'll be good.

Here's the two scythe designs with the most efficient handle positions in terms of energy expenditure and reach:

Hidden Content

012a61cd3bbcfc6f9056a3f2fa2f1a96.jpg

http://bauwerkzeuge.ch/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/7/57365.ha.75.png

I hope that helps/inspires you. Most important thing though is rool of cool. :thumbsup::smile.:

EDIT: Holy crap your Daemon Engines on the first page. I also checked out the other threads in your siggy, but was sad to see all picture links were broken. Is that fixable?

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Wow, great work on the Death Guard.

I'm kinda jealous about your DP right now, as I'm struggling to make a cool Nurgle Daemon Prince. And here you are just acing it out of the park. I was suggested the same ogre head by KrautSCientist, so don't be mad if I'm going to use that. 

One nitpick: his left hand should also be holding a second sideways grip on the scythe. NOT like the FW Mortarion, by the way, as that Scythe is even more redonculous - he'll be breaking his wrist with every swipe, whereas your DP will just have a very inefficient swipe. Check out pictures of scythes on google pictures and you'll be good.

Here's the two scythe designs with the most efficient handle positions in terms of energy expenditure and reach:

Hidden Content

012a61cd3bbcfc6f9056a3f2fa2f1a96.jpg

http://bauwerkzeuge.ch/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/7/57365.ha.75.png

I hope that helps/inspires you. Most important thing though is rool of cool. :thumbsup::smile.:

First off, thanks a lot! :)

Off course I won't be mad if you use the head - first of all, I used it on the Dreadnought, not the DP, but even if I did, whats the point of sharing these pics, if not to inspire people? I spend many hours browsing the web, for cool ideas or inspiration. 

(Fun fact: A german friend sent me a link about 6 months ago, where somebody presented my old DG army as their own on a german forum - that's maybe pushing it a bit. :D )

Reg. the scythe; I know, I know - I tried it the correct way, with both hands "vertical", but it looked kind of goofy to be honest, and I like the asymmetry of them not holding it the same way - the rule of cool definitely takes over in this case. ;) 

Glad to have you back!!!!! 

Your new stuff looks amazing, its triggered loads of ideas I cant wait to try out. 

Quick question, where did the fly come from on your Sorceror conversion??

Glad to have you back!!!!! 

Your new stuff looks amazing, its triggered loads of ideas I cant wait to try out. 

Quick question, where did the fly come from on your Sorceror conversion??

Thanks! It's part of the champion backpack in the starter set - it's cast as part of the horn. 

(Fun fact: A german friend sent me a link about 6 months ago, where somebody presented my old DG army as their own on a german forum - that's maybe pushing it a bit. :biggrin.: )

No way! Still got the link? I'd love to see that -- and probably poke some fun at the OP ;)

Regarding the Daemon Prince, I think you're on to something excellent, but I have to say the lower body doesn't quite click for me yet -- at least not on its own, as it's too Dark Mechanicus - or even Slaaneshi, especially when combined with that Talos facemask - at first glance. Combine it with tattered robes, dangling chainmail or something that suggests Nurgle a bit more, and you should be in for a winner. And maybe a slightly more interesting face/mask...?

(Fun fact: A german friend sent me a link about 6 months ago, where somebody presented my old DG army as their own on a german forum - that's maybe pushing it a bit. :biggrin.: )

No way! Still got the link? I'd love to see that -- and probably poke some fun at the OP :wink:

Regarding the Daemon Prince, I think you're on to something excellent, but I have to say the lower body doesn't quite click for me yet -- at least not on its own, as it's too Dark Mechanicus - or even Slaaneshi, especially when combined with that Talos facemask - at first glance. Combine it with tattered robes, dangling chainmail or something that suggests Nurgle a bit more, and you should be in for a winner. And maybe a slightly more interesting face/mask...?

I've looked for it since, and I can't seem to find the thread - I think it maybe got deleted by the OP? ;) My german is pretty rusty, but as far as I could tell, he got called out pretty quickly. :D

That's actually some great suggestions - tattered robes, chains, etc - now I just need to find out how I get chain to behave and stay in shape. :D He'll definitely have another head - been down that road with my old DP, and I want something more steampunkish - it's just a placeholder, but I find it important to have the heads position when modelling, so I can see if the pose works. 

I'd say the lower half seems a little too.. hmmm... unsubstantial? There's not much to it (obviously, just being mechadendrites or cabling), but I think if you added some more to it such as viscera, maybe the corposes of victims entagled in the mess... maybe even the remnants of femurs but have them withered at the ends, like the bone itself is rotting. You have a hell of an imagination so I'm sure you can come up with something. 

I'd say the lower half seems a little too.. hmmm... unsubstantial? There's not much to it (obviously, just being mechadendrites or cabling), but I think if you added some more to it such as viscera, maybe the corposes of victims entagled in the mess... maybe even the remnants of femurs but have them withered at the ends, like the bone itself is rotting. You have a hell of an imagination so I'm sure you can come up with something.

Thanks for the input - I'm definitely considering Kraut Scientists and your input. :)