A return to the Death Guard and a new start.

Bits have arrived! But alas, the warp storms are affecting the bitz store...

Hi guys - my bitz order arrived from bitzbox.co.uk today, and I frantically tore open the nicely packed envelope, and basked in the glory of the new body parts for my Daemon Prince, his means of motion, his grotesque, mutated... Two left legs?

Dangit. They've sent me two left flying hive tyrant legs by mistake. To their excuse, they've immediately answered my mail, and they'll send me the right one promptly. So, the prince will have to wait a bit longer for his legs. On the positive side, they seem to fit really nice, and they seem to have the right dimensions - I've made a few cuts, and mounted on the giant hooves, to see how it fits, and I suspect that they'll look great, once they get armour sculpted on. Please excuse the picture - he really is a mess of non finished green stuff, blutack, and plastic parts as he is:

dp5.jpg

As you can see, I'm also toying with giving him a mutated, extra right arm.

I also grabbed the chance to order some useful bits, while I was browsing their website, so I got a few mkIII helmets and every single exhaust they had - one can never have too many exhausts!

bits.jpg

I wanted to take a shot a converting mkIII helmets into Plague Marine helmets, and with a very small grinder bit, my dremel and some patience, I think it works pretty well (still needs some cleanup, I can see with the closeup):

PMhelmet.jpg

I've also gotten some more green stuff on the Helbrute, and with the exception of some small details and tubes, he's about ready for paint - really satisfied with this one:

helbrute4.jpg

I got another idea, while rummaging through my bits box last night - there lay the wreck of my old Dark Mechanicus mauler fiend, which I was never really satisfied with. I had used the body of a FW Blood Slaughterer, and looking at it, I found some Necron Stalker legs, an Aracnarok body, and the gears started churning; I'm gonna do a defiler. It's only on the sketching state at the moment, but I think it has potential:

def1.jpg

(Very much inspired by the Grievers from Maze Runner on this one - obviously needs another head)

Lastly, I'll just leave a small teaser of my project for the army, that's being worked on, on the side - it WILL get done, but I want to take it slow, enjoy it, and do it right. Any guesses?

teaser1.jpg

As always, all comments are welcome. :)

The Daemon prince new hands look great in my opinion, and the leg seems to have the right proportions, the only thing that isn't working for me is the third arm, I think it is a pretty busy model already and doesn't need more things to focus on. But maybe with the other leg it'll look better, as now that empty space is kind of unbalancing the model, it looks like if the third arm was the leg in a very awkward angle...

The Helbrute is really a piece of art, specially the legs look better with the GS added. Also hadn't noticed that he had a plague marine head, those lads are really huge...

Also, the Deflier WIP is already impressive, the concept is surely promising. Are you going to add full arms to it or just the weapons like in the original model?

At last, that teaser is clearly a Renegade Knight, the lower part of the photo betrays you ;), really excited to see your take on something THAT big, the bell is a great idea!

Looking at the Maulerfiend, when you get around to building up its torso I would suggest making sure it is thick enough to look like it could hold up that heavily armoured torso. The Arachnaroc body merges really nicely with the Necron parts!

The beginnings of the MkII helmet make me think I should probably invest in a dremel at some point - would be dead handy! Have you considered having a horn or two sprout out of it, or do you prefer the less-corrupted?

Exhausts bitz are a good call, would be fun to intergratr those into some power arnour backpacks.

The Daemon Prince is going to look awesome, I was a little worried of the scale of the hooves but they seem to work really well.

Helbrute is just outstanding, and while I loved the old Maulerfiend I'm really keen to see where you go with the new version. The Necron bits fit perfectly with the arachnaroc. And I remember the Knight from before, looking forward to seeing it Nurglified. :)

I see my knighthedral will have a proper chaos counterpart. Something I ran into with the knight is if you want to make it higher you have to break up the design. The original design has a pretty clearly designed "top" with how the carapace curves into the shoulder pads.

Man I love that defiler thing, there's a really nice flow in how the body starts low in the back and rises to this vertical imposing creature the further forward you get.

The hellbrute is missing a bit of detail for me.

The third arm is really working for me on the daemonprince, but tbh that entire model is ticking all the boxes for me.

The Daemon Prince shows lots of promise now, and he's finally on his way on becoming a standout piece on par with your best work! The hooves seem to work really, really well! And while I normally dislike asymmetrical arm setups, I do think the third arm could actually work here.

The kitbashed Plague Marine (and the idea to turn Mk. III helmets into DG helmets): very cool!

Regarding the Helbrute, I have to agree with Maarten: He doesn't really seem finished, especially when compared to your old DG Helbrutes.

The Defiler could be really awesome, although I am kinda sad to see the Dark Mechanicum brute disassembled like that ;)

The Daemon prince new hands look great in my opinion, and the leg seems to have the right proportions, the only thing that isn't working for me is the third arm, I think it is a pretty busy model already and doesn't need more things to focus on. But maybe with the other leg it'll look better, as now that empty space is kind of unbalancing the model, it looks like if the third arm was the leg in a very awkward angle...

The Helbrute is really a piece of art, specially the legs look better with the GS added. Also hadn't noticed that he had a plague marine head, those lads are really huge...

Also, the Deflier WIP is already impressive, the concept is surely promising. Are you going to add full arms to it or just the weapons like in the original model?

At last, that teaser is clearly a Renegade Knight, the lower part of the photo betrays you :wink:, really excited to see your take on something THAT big, the bell is a great idea!

It's an awkward angle for the photo for sure, sometimes a model makes more sense when you can hold it and see it for yourself. At the moment, the extra arm seems cool to me, we'll see when the leg arrives. :) 

Reg. the defiler: Right now I don't know. There's something to be said for both options - I think I'll go for asymmetry, having a short mount and combine the battle cannon with reaper autocannons and a proper arm with a defiler scourge for the other. 

Ding ding - you're right, it's a knight. 

Looking at the Maulerfiend, when you get around to building up its torso I would suggest making sure it is thick enough to look like it could hold up that heavily armoured torso. The Arachnaroc body merges really nicely with the Necron parts!

The beginnings of the MkII helmet make me think I should probably invest in a dremel at some point - would be dead handy! Have you considered having a horn or two sprout out of it, or do you prefer the less-corrupted?

Exhausts bitz are a good call, would be fun to intergratr those into some power arnour backpacks.

Thanks - don't worry, it'll have loads of bloated skin and muscle. ;) And yes, it probably needs a spike or two - the pic is sort of a proof of concept, that it is pretty easy to do. Hopefully though, we won't have to wait long to have a good supply of DG helmets - when the kit is coming out. 

The Daemon Prince is going to look awesome, I was a little worried of the scale of the hooves but they seem to work really well.

Helbrute is just outstanding, and while I loved the old Maulerfiend I'm really keen to see where you go with the new version. The Necron bits fit perfectly with the arachnaroc. And I remember the Knight from before, looking forward to seeing it Nurglified. :smile.:

Thanks, yeah, I think they work great - I was worried about them being to big, but they seem to fit well. I'm also surprised at how well the necron legs fit too, but they'll need some green stuff work to take away the necron "divots" - all those lines so prevalent in necron sculpts. 

That Helbrute rules.

Thanks! 

I see my knighthedral will have a proper chaos counterpart. Something I ran into with the knight is if you want to make it higher you have to break up the design. The original design has a pretty clearly designed "top" with how the carapace curves into the shoulder pads.

Man I love that defiler thing, there's a really nice flow in how the body starts low in the back and rises to this vertical imposing creature the further forward you get.

The hellbrute is missing a bit of detail for me.

The third arm is really working for me on the daemonprince, but tbh that entire model is ticking all the boxes for me.

I'd love a link to your Knighthedral - if you have pics? Don't worry, the knight is a slow burn project, where I'll really take my time, and let each idea simmer. 

Reg. the Helbrute: Looking at it, you're right. Most of my models are pretty "over the top", and he needs something more. I'll have to experiment for a bit. 

So many cool concepts in one post. Really looking forward to seeing that defiler complete. Always liked the fluff but not the model.

Thanks - and me too, reg. the fluff and model. 

The Daemon Prince shows lots of promise now, and he's finally on his way on becoming a standout piece on par with your best work! The hooves seem to work really, really well! And while I normally dislike asymmetrical arm setups, I do think the third arm could actually work here.

The kitbashed Plague Marine (and the idea to turn Mk. III helmets into DG helmets): very cool!

Regarding the Helbrute, I have to agree with Maarten: He doesn't really seem finished, especially when compared to your old DG Helbrutes.

The Defiler could be really awesome, although I am kinda sad to see the Dark Mechanicum brute disassembled like that :wink:

Thanks! Yup, now I can really see him coming together - kinda annoyed that I have to wait again for the leg, but I'll just have to work on other stuff. 

Reg. the Defiler - The old model was ripped apart a long time ago, probably two years ago. I was never really satisfied with the pose, and the legs were sort of thrown together, and the arms didn't work out like I wanted to; in short, great idea, didn't work. I've come to realise that if I don't love a conversion right away, I won't like it later either - it has to be awesome to me from the get go. So, to get to the point - I think that blood slaughterer torso will find a much nicer home as a Nurgle Defiler. We'll see. :)

Tonight I've been working some on the Defilers battle cannon - I wanted to make it into a combiweapon of sorts, combining it with the reaper auto cannon; still needs the bayonets, but I'm kinda digging it; It might not seem like much for a few hours work, but I always find mechanical stuff time-consuming - everything has to be straight as an arrow.

defcannon.jpg

I also added some detailing to the Helbrute; some plague censers where the eyes used to hang on the sarcophagus, some insectoid limbs on the right side of the sarcophagus, a few spikes and a couple of extra exhausts - better?

helbrute6.jpg

Edit: A quick mockup of the Defiler - I apologise the pic, but it's barely held together by blutack, so I couldn't move it too much, to get my photo box on the table - and I needed a pic to remind me of the pose. (That's a good tip, btw - take a quick pic on the phone, when you stumble on a good pose)

def2.jpg

Edited by GuitaRasmus

That defiler looks awesome! the battle cannon is a great idea. Not keen on the standard one being on the body. 

The additions to the helbrute are great, are you going to make the spikes look like they are breaking through the armour? 

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind comments. :)

That defiler looks awesome! the battle cannon is a great idea. Not keen on the standard one being on the body. 

The additions to the helbrute are great, are you going to make the spikes look like they are breaking through the armour? 

Yup, definitely needs some sculpting. I usually blutack on things for a day or two, to see if I like it, before glueing it on. 

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq350/maar7en/40K/Dark%20mechanicus/Knighttitan_zpsa40adeba.png

On mobile so this will have to do.

I still feel like it needs more detailing, maybe something on the left shoulder?

I do love the combi battle cannon.

Very interesting concept. :)

I'll look into it on the left shoulder. 

Woah. There is simply way too much awesomeness packed into one post! Honesty, that helbrute. Awesome. The Aracha- Slaughterer disturbingly reminds me of Pennywise the clown in the final scene of "It". Thanks for rehashing nightmares from when I was a kid.

Your DP is coming along beautifully. That sucks about the part mix up, but at least they were on top of correcting it. I'm loving his "wings", and while I'm normally on the fence about 3rd arms, I think that one is very fitting. I think my only issue with this model, and it's really so stupidly trivial I can't believe I'm mentioning it, are the fingernails on the right hand. Yup, that's right. They just seem too perfect and out of sorts. Every time I look at this model, that's the first element that catches my eye. Did you have any plans on cracking them up or anything or have I totally lost my mind?

Woah. There is simply way too much awesomeness packed into one post! Honesty, that helbrute. Awesome. The Aracha- Slaughterer disturbingly reminds me of Pennywise the clown in the final scene of "It". Thanks for rehashing nightmares from when I was a kid.

Your DP is coming along beautifully. That sucks about the part mix up, but at least they were on top of correcting it. I'm loving his "wings", and while I'm normally on the fence about 3rd arms, I think that one is very fitting. I think my only issue with this model, and it's really so stupidly trivial I can't believe I'm mentioning it, are the fingernails on the right hand. Yup, that's right. They just seem too perfect and out of sorts. Every time I look at this model, that's the first element that catches my eye. Did you have any plans on cracking them up or anything or have I totally lost my mind?

Thanks man - I'm humbled by the praise. :)

I absolutely know what you're talking about, with the right hand - I don't even know if it's the best one, but it was the best one I had in my bits box. :D It's from the warhammer giant. I wanted to use river troll hands, but I only had a left one, having made some multi limped chaos trolls, and I had to settle. Anyway, I think it can be made better with some sculpting, and doing some long sharp nails - I think that'll help it. 

The hellbrute is just getting better and better. Made me go on bits shops trying to find helldrake claws :)

The defiler looks very promising. Out of curiosity what diameter spread do the legs cover when looking from above? If less than 16cm it would fit on an Archaon base.

Also as an aside have you played 8th as yet? I am finding, for the first time ever, it is actually inspiring me (as well as threads like this) to convert and build units and has been a bit of a kick up the backside.

I envisage the codex release on Saturday is going to inspire all sorts of creativity all over this board, especially without any new models.

Your job is amazing ! I can't think of a single miniature not worth complimenting !

I also added some detailing to the Helbrute; some plague censers where the eyes used to hang on the sarcophagus, some insectoid limbs on the right side of the sarcophagus, a few spikes and a couple of extra exhausts - better?

As for the spikes, I tend to see them as a kind of disease. There should not be only a few of them, they should look like they're growing on every part of the machine suffering from the disease (like, here : pieces of armor). Then, you don't have to make all of them that big or add too much, but I feel you need to make them more plausible in the miniature. Atm they just look like... bluetacked spikes.

Not convinced either by the exhaust but you'll need to show us a picture from behind so that we can see better how they look like.

Still, the overall conversion is outstanding and I like your other additions of censers and insectoids limbs.

Not much to say about the defiler, it's building really nice ! And this is a very unique take at a defiler while still being instantly recognisable. I'm sure the result will be at best !

GuitaRasmus, great to see you posting on B&C again.  Awesome new stuff right from the getgo, onwards and upwards !

-W

Thanks man, and it's great to be back! :)

The hellbrute is just getting better and better. Made me go on bits shops trying to find helldrake claws

The defiler looks very promising. Out of curiosity what diameter spread do the legs cover when looking from above? If less than 16cm it would fit on an Archaon base.

Also as an aside have you played 8th as yet? I am finding, for the first time ever, it is actually inspiring me (as well as threads like this) to convert and build units and has been a bit of a kick up the backside.

I envisage the codex release on Saturday is going to inspire all sorts of creativity all over this board, especially without any new models.

Thanks a lot for the kind words - always feels good to inspire someone. 

That's a great tip for the base - thanks! It actually looks like it could fit, since the leg span is 15.3 cm. I'll look into that. 

Nope, haven't actually played a game yet - I've been building lists, pondering books, etc., but I try to avoid playing before I have a playable (as in PAINTED) army, since I find that when I play with unpainted model, my motivation quickly fades. 

Your job is amazing ! I can't think of a single miniature not worth complimenting !

As for the spikes, I tend to see them as a kind of disease. There should not be only a few of them, they should look like they're growing on every part of the machine suffering from the disease (like, here : pieces of armor). Then, you don't have to make all of them that big or add too much, but I feel you need to make them more plausible in the miniature. Atm they just look like... bluetacked spikes.

Not convinced either by the exhaust but you'll need to show us a picture from behind so that we can see better how they look like.

Still, the overall conversion is outstanding and I like your other additions of censers and insectoids limbs.

Not much to say about the defiler, it's building really nice ! And this is a very unique take at a defiler while still being instantly recognisable. I'm sure the result will be at best !

I can see what you mean, but spikes are so easy to overdo, and just make it cluttered imo - take the pox walkers for example. But thanks for the kind words. :)

BTW, I need to say something to you all;

This forum is absolutely indispensable in pushing me, prodding me and challenging me into making my models the best they can be. Your feedback is incredible valuable to my progress as a modeller, and I want to give you all my thanks - you rock, and I am humbled to be receiving so many kind comments. :)

I've begun bulking up the defiler - and please note that not all of the parts are final (especially

the engines), so it's more like a sketch than anything - but I could use some feedback, since I'm a bit knee deep into doing it, and sometimes I lose my focus when I get there, and I need you to be brutally honest, once again - is it working, or should I go in a completely different direction?

def3.jpg

Also some more details on the Helbrute - I gave him some extra exhausts (once again, those Fiend stacks sure come in handy), and I've given him a chainmail loincloth, which help the wide stance a bit. I've also glued on the insect legs on the sarcophagus, and a large spike on his left shoulder:

helbrute7.jpg

About the deflier: he works for me except for two things. The fiend exhausts on the aracknarock body, which I think that would be better if reversed and put on the chitinous back part (so that instead of down to up the inclination goes up to dow). And I'm not too sure about he having belly, maybe it is because the thing isn't greenstuffed yet, but reminds me of the part that I like the less about Belisarius Cawl.

About the brute: I like the new aditions except for the chainmail, it is too long and makes the space between the legs even more evident, as it leaves two empty spaces at each side instead of filling it. If you want to fill that (and I'm not sure if I would bother) maybe some loose chains with hooks or skulls would do the trick as, even though they don't "cover" it as such, they give detail to that zone, without being too focused in one spot and so making the empier spots weird.

Looking at the Helbrute, I'm not sure if it needs the chainmail to fill the gap between its legs.

Perhaps bulking up up the (Plaguecaster) chest piece so it is more attached to the rest of the model would probably draw the eye away from the gap.

The (Spawn) insect arms are great though, a solid addition to the model.

Edited by Mister Feral