Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sabre Tank Hunter

Sabre Tank Hunter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,028 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Ravens
So, I found this picture whilst sorting through some files:
IMG_0658.png
We originally created this here on the B&C in 2009 (I think), and I wanted to bring it up-to-date with the new edition (that's my conversion in the picture!). Some background can be found on Lexicanum.

My first pass of a possible profile is:
Name: Sabre Tank Hunter
Power Rating: 10 (Points: 200)
Battlefield Role: Heavy Support
A Sabre Tank Hunter is a single model equipped with a heavy laser destroyer array.
Stats
MWSBSSTWALdSv
*6+*6811*83+

Damage
Remaining WoundsMBSA
6-11+10"3+3
3-55"4+d3
1-23"5+1

Weapons
NameRangeTypeSAPDamageAbilities
Heavy laser destroyer array60"Heavy d39-3d6When attacking units with the Vehicle keyword, roll 2 dice when inflicting damage and discard the lowest result.

Options: Hunter-killer missile, Storm Bolter
Abilities: Explodes, Smoke Launchers
Faction Keywords: Imperium, Adeptus Astartes, <Chapter>
Keywords: Relic, Vehicle, Sabre Tank Hunter

This first pass only has the Heavy Laser Destroyer Array as an option, since that is basically what I originally built mine with. That said, I think the Vanquisher Cannon option could probably be resurrected. I sort of envision the tank as the initial punch to enemy armour before you get to close-quarters, or perhaps the dealer of the finishing blow to clean up the battlefield. It's definitely not intended to operate alone!

Some of you may ask "why bring back the Sabre and not just counts-as a Deimos Pattern Vindicator Laser Destroyer?" Much as I like the idea of the Vindicator Laser Destroyer as a spiritual successor, it still feels like a Vindicator to me: short-ranged, in-your-face. The Sabre is more of a long(ish) range response to enemy threats, I feel. Plus, when I built mine, the concept of a Laser Volley Cannon didn't exist yet - it wouldn't feel right for my Sabre to sit still and get double the shots. D3 shots isn't quite right either, but it's closer to the original intent, I think.
Others may ask "why are you using an Astra Militarum gun instead of the Laser Destroyer as seen on the Mastodon/Rapier? Or the Neutron Pulse Cannon?"
The Laser Destroyers seem a little too short-ranged as well and a little too powerful. Likewise, the Neutron Pulse Cannon seems too powerful for what I'm envisioning - I'm not sure the Rhino chassis can handle the strain of firing one of those! ;)

So, with that in mind: thoughts, comments, criticisms?
  • Cpt_Reaper likes this
Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Everything is complete! | 2015 Thread of Things! - Some infantry arrive.

"Sometimes the Imperium needs heroes, sometimes saints and other times it needs monsters, for the dark void of the stars is cold and has bred nightmare and treachery most could never dream of. So when some call him tyrant, world-burner, apostate and butcher, remember this: He commanded armies on a hundred worlds and spanned cursed stars where saints would fear to tread, and in doing so held back the night. Monster he may have been, but he was ours and I for one thank the God-Emperor for him." - Inquistor Marr, Speaking of Lord-Errant Cromhal, Supreme Commander of the Aegisine Crusade, M.39

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,742 posts
  • Chapter Name: Catachan Wolves
I thought of adding a Razorback turret to the Vindicator Laser Destroyer, to reduce its vulnerability to enemy flyers and infantry. Maybe that should be an option for the laser destroyer array-armed Sabre Tank Hunter as well? (Not for the Vanquisher cannon-armed variant, as the turret and sponsons would diminish the loading and stowage of cannon shells, as well as interfere with the cannons' operation.)

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,028 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Ravens
Hmmm... while the Ork in me likes the thought of strapping on more guns, the Imperial in me is concerned about precedent. I can't bring to mind any examples where a rhino-sized vehicle had a big gun in the front and a gun on top. (I may be a little tired, to be honest). Anyway, my initial thought is that would be why the Sabre has an option for a cupola storm bolter.
Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Everything is complete! | 2015 Thread of Things! - Some infantry arrive.

"Sometimes the Imperium needs heroes, sometimes saints and other times it needs monsters, for the dark void of the stars is cold and has bred nightmare and treachery most could never dream of. So when some call him tyrant, world-burner, apostate and butcher, remember this: He commanded armies on a hundred worlds and spanned cursed stars where saints would fear to tread, and in doing so held back the night. Monster he may have been, but he was ours and I for one thank the God-Emperor for him." - Inquistor Marr, Speaking of Lord-Errant Cromhal, Supreme Commander of the Aegisine Crusade, M.39

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users