Sabre Tank Hunter

So, I found this picture whilst sorting through some files:

IMG_0658.png

We originally created this here on the B&C in 2009 (I think), and I wanted to bring it up-to-date with the new edition (that's my conversion in the picture!). Some background can be found on Lexicanum.

My first pass of a possible profile is:

Name: Sabre Tank Hunter

Power Rating: 10 (Points: 200)

Battlefield Role: Heavy Support

A Sabre Tank Hunter is a single model equipped with a heavy laser destroyer array.

Stats
M WS BS S T W A Ld Sv
* 6+ * 6 8 11 * 8 3+

Damage
Remaining Wounds M BS A
6-11+ 10" 3+ 3
3-5 5" 4+ d3
1-2 3" 5+ 1

Weapons
Name Range Type S AP Damage Abilities
Heavy laser destroyer array 60" Heavy d3 9 -3 d6 When attacking units with the Vehicle keyword, roll 2 dice when inflicting damage and discard the lowest result.

Options: Hunter-killer missile, Storm Bolter

Abilities: Explodes, Smoke Launchers

Faction Keywords: Imperium, Adeptus Astartes, <Chapter>

Keywords: Relic, Vehicle, Sabre Tank Hunter

This first pass only has the Heavy Laser Destroyer Array as an option, since that is basically what I originally built mine with. That said, I think the Vanquisher Cannon option could probably be resurrected. I sort of envision the tank as the initial punch to enemy armour before you get to close-quarters, or perhaps the dealer of the finishing blow to clean up the battlefield. It's definitely not intended to operate alone!

Some of you may ask "why bring back the Sabre and not just counts-as a Deimos Pattern Vindicator Laser Destroyer?" Much as I like the idea of the Vindicator Laser Destroyer as a spiritual successor, it still feels like a Vindicator to me: short-ranged, in-your-face. The Sabre is more of a long(ish) range response to enemy threats, I feel. Plus, when I built mine, the concept of a Laser Volley Cannon didn't exist yet - it wouldn't feel right for my Sabre to sit still and get double the shots. D3 shots isn't quite right either, but it's closer to the original intent, I think.

Others may ask "why are you using an Astra Militarum gun instead of the Laser Destroyer as seen on the Mastodon/Rapier? Or the Neutron Pulse Cannon?"

The Laser Destroyers seem a little too short-ranged as well and a little too powerful. Likewise, the Neutron Pulse Cannon seems too powerful for what I'm envisioning - I'm not sure the Rhino chassis can handle the strain of firing one of those! ;)

So, with that in mind: thoughts, comments, criticisms?

I thought of adding a Razorback turret to the Vindicator Laser Destroyer, to reduce its vulnerability to enemy flyers and infantry. Maybe that should be an option for the laser destroyer array-armed Sabre Tank Hunter as well? (Not for the Vanquisher cannon-armed variant, as the turret and sponsons would diminish the loading and stowage of cannon shells, as well as interfere with the cannons' operation.)

Hmmm... while the Ork in me likes the thought of strapping on more guns, the Imperial in me is concerned about precedent. I can't bring to mind any examples where a rhino-sized vehicle had a big gun in the front and a gun on top. (I may be a little tired, to be honest). Anyway, my initial thought is that would be why the Sabre has an option for a cupola storm bolter.

• 2 years later...

So, we've seen a few changes in the Space Marine Codex since I first looked at a possible Sabre Tank Hunter, namely GW added a Repulsor Executioner... with a Heavy laser destroyer! We now have a Space Marine weapon that I feel fits the Sabre. We've also seen a few adjustments to points and power levels, so I've adjusted both of these down.

Version 2

Name: Sabre Tank Hunter

Power Rating: 7 (Points: 165)

Battlefield Role: Heavy Support

A Sabre Tank Hunter is a single model equipped with a heavy laser destroyer.

Stats
M WS BS S T W A Ld Sv
* 6+ * 6 8 11 * 8 3+

Damage
Remaining Wounds M BS A
6-11+ 10" 3+ 3
3-5 5" 4+ d3
1-2 3" 5+ 1

Weapons
Name Range Type S AP Damage Abilities
Heavy laser destroyer 72" Heavy 2 10 -4 d6 When resolving an attack made with this weapon, a damage roll of 1 or 2 counts as 3 instead.

Options: Hunter-killer missile, Storm Bolter

Abilities: Angels of Death, Explodes (d3 mortal wounds within 6"), Smoke Launchers

Faction Keywords: Imperium, Adeptus Astartes, <Chapter>

Keywords: Relic, Vehicle, Sabre Tank Hunter

------------

I'd still like to add an Autocannon or Vanquisher Cannon variant of some sort, but I'm not sure if I want to use the weapon from the Astra Militarum or not. Something to think about, at the very least.