Ultramarines Chapter Tactic (8th) Preview

Toxichobbit

Here's the link.

+1 Ld means we're going to need to take four casualties before our units care (making 5 man squads almost immune to retreating) and being able to shoot after falling back seems solid for our non-flyers, especially with a character helping to mitigate the -1 to hit. It makes pistol upgrades less useful though, may as well stick with combi-weapons on Sergeants.

What do you guys think?

Edit: I should add that it doesn't apply to non-Dreadnought vehicles. Easy to assume that given previous Chapter Tactics, but it's clarified in the article.

Also I'm not liking this sentence, "The Ultramarines are also getting a unique stratagem, warlord trait and relic to allow you to further customise your army." Specifically that relic is in the singular. I guess if we have a number of relics for all Marine Chapters then one per major Chapter (Fists of both colours, Templars, Salamanders, Iron Hands etc) then it'll be fine.

Edited by Toxichobbit

Yeah it's reasonable. Nothing amazing, like the level of Necrons Reanimation Protocols, but it's tactical.

Bit concerned the Redemptor only has a 3+ to hit. Same as ordinary Dreads. Moving and firing heavy weapons makes Dreads fairly meek in offensive ability.

I'm looking forward to seeing the firepower of the Redemptor though. A Marine Riptide? Mwah hahahahahahaaaa!

We need to see what the other chapter tactics are. I am a bit dissapointed too, but +1 to leadership is nothing to laugh at. Disengaging will only be situational. It's more or less the old combat tactics of 5th edition... Except you can't charge.

It reminds me of Calgar's old ability to chose to pass or fail combat. Back in the mists of 5th Ed I used it to "fail" combat so could fall back and shoot. I don't know how good it will be now that the rest of the game is so different, but it was good back in the day.

I dunno. I'm a little surprised. Fall back and shoot feels White Scar-y and high resistance to battleshock seems more like an Imperial Fist trait. And I kinda liked the whole "terrifying proficiency of the Ultramarines" that refills granted.

Edited by Brother Captain Ed

I'm quite fine with falling back and being able to shoot... even at a penalty. I have played against Tau a few times and it's just bloody annoying...and the IG have 'get back in the fight' which is actually better. 

Secure objective on troops... lol sounds familiar. :)

Captain to Chapter Master for 3 CPs in a shooty list sounds really cool.

And did I hear a 'mind war' style psychic power? Sounds like a D6+LD comparison for up to 3 mortal wound (?)

This actually makes me happy to be honest, as the only issue i have found while playing my Ultras was getting tied up by 30 man units of orks or tyranids and having to sacrifice a units shooting to be able to bring better AI weapons to bare on them. So overall this seems win-win to me, it may not be ridiculously powerful or game changing but it fills a hole in our army nicely.

Do we know what our Relic is from the battle report? What information do we have from it?

What does the Chapter Master upgrade do then?

This Codex seems like an age away!

I stopped watching after a while but I believe no Relic info was given

Chapter Master Stratagem: costs 3 CP before the game.

One captain is upgraded to a Chapter Master, replace his Rites of Battle with another special rule that allows re-roll all misses, instead of just 1's (same restrictions apply on range and keyword)

Decent? Really? I think it is kind of bonkers :P Couple this CT with the inherent toughness of Marines and you will be pretty hard to shift. You can also shoot and the. melee dedicated ranged units with tacs to prevent their shooting, then retreat and shoot again, at least until various Xenos factions get their rules :D

It's really not that bad. Given how powerful assault is, there likely won't be many Marines left a combat you're looking to fall back from anyway.

It's a nice little bonus late game when there are a fewer models on the table and the higher BS models are able to exit a nasty combat and shoot again still on 3+. Venerable and Contemptor Dreadnoughts will likely love it!

I don't think it's super duper strong. Tau are doing it to me, Astra do it to me with literally a100 conscripts. I've had Landraiders take 3-4 unsaved wounds from conscripts that I 'thought' I tied up in close combat. In all of these cases there is no penalty to their BS.

I do think it's good and in the vacuum of 'no one has a codex yet' then yea that makes it great... until the next codex comes out. Lol

I think the Ultra's CTs are good, and fitting. As a Guard player I know how good it is to be able to fall back from combat and still shoot. Aside from getting into combat your opponent is also thinking about stopping you from shooting, especially as most UM units would prefer to be shooting. This reduces that advantage and helps you out even if you get dragged into a few combats - you can just fall back and shoot them to ribbons.

Even more so with flamers and a nearby Chapter Master ;) The additional pip of Leadership is really nice as that's going to keep you in the fight longer and reduce the pain of losing a Marine. Overall I think they're a solid set of bonuses that translate the Ultra's into 8th quite well. I hope this means other Chapters/armies can expect suitably useful and appropriate rules.

Me too. I think everyone benefits if we see all chapters getting some good background supporting rules.

I am not sold (still) on the Primaris stuff. So I'm looking forward to seeing their full compliment of rules and items to see how they really gel with the Ultra's in general.

Edit: I should add that it doesn't apply to non-Dreadnought vehicles. Easy to assume that given previous Chapter Tactics, but it's clarified in the article.

I don't see where it says that? It just says "Ultramarines units with this tactic can still shoot in a turn in which they fall back." 

I REALLY hope that vehicles also get this rule.  Has everyone else not had the agony of getting their land raider charged by a rhino, and then being unable to do anything to it for the rest of the game as it continually follows you around "charging" you?

With this tactic that problem would be solved. Land Raider falls back 4 lascannon shots on 4+. I wish you only had to "fall back" if your unit took a wound in combat. That would prevent people declaring combo chargers against vehicles like Land Raiders and then not even directing any attacks against them.