Building BC/GH & WG for 8th

crd26a

Have time off over the next week and its time I prep my eBay purchase of the Warriors of the Fang box.  I've got 20 models plus some Spellcrow legs & Torso's that will let me buildout 25 models for my slowly built SW army (Start Collecting Box, Predator, Dreadnaught, Razorback).  As I roughly built out the Start collecting box as GH, I want to split the last up as 10 BCs, 5 GH & 10 WG.

So the questions are for the wargear choices, where would you lean towards?

​BCs

For the Special Weapons List BC thinking Plasma, but could be swayed

BCPL - choice between sword axe or power fist

GH

Not many questions on them, have to reconfigure some of what I have as I'd built out one w/ two wolf claws in the start collecting box.  Need to wait and see where codex lands on some, so will probably go fairly stock / boring for these 5.

WG - probably where my real need for guidance lies.  As I'm somewhat limited on bits to what is from the above boxes, how would you build-out 10 Wolf Guard to run, or would you even built out that many?  Should I look at scaling this down to five?  Should I try and specialize them for the various units, such as building one to go with my Skyclaws from the box?

All thoughts / opinions / etc. welcomed.  I want to stay somewhat fluffy, for now I'm mainly painting and not playing anytime in the near future.

Thanks. 

I almost always go with Flamers on the BC's. Keeps them cheap, auto hits even with poor BS, and kills the targets they are most likely going to be running towards. Haven't played a game yet, but leaning toward power fist on the PL and adding a WGPL with a thunder hammer to keep there target opptions open, but then there not so cheap anymore!

For WG, I'd just model a few to be pack leaders and arm them to fill what ever roll you need. I don't think will see a lot of PA wolf gard, but more on bikes, with jump packs, or in TDA.

Yup, Flamers on Claws, save the plasma for the Hunters where their better BS will make good use of it.

Strength 5 is a bit of a sweet spot on the wound chart so for GH/BC Pack Leaders, I would recommend power axes. For WGPLs, I used to run power fists in 6th/7th but they have seriously disappointed me in 8th. With just 2 attacks and a -1 to hit, I found I could not reliably deal damage with them.

I am going to be saving power fists and thunder hammers for units where I am likely to be able to get rerolls or characters who have WS2+ to start with. My WGPLs will be ditching their fists for Wolf Claws. A lot cheaper but more hits and more effective against single wound models. The lose the potential to do D3 damage to large targets but frankly I find that half of something is better than all of nothing. :wink: