Dark Rage

I love the paintjob! Very well done indeed. And that Redemptorist sculpt is fantastic as well, very unique.

Just wondering if you drill out the barrels of your guns though, it's difficult to see. If you don't, I highly recommend doing so. It's a small change, but makes a big aesthetic difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Punk possum, I thought going back to the clean style suited me better but it can sometimes be awkward when I see some of these awesome, realistic looking armies with weathering and osl and I am like 'awww I want to try that'.

I guess atm I just want to get a coherent looking force with a style I think best suits me and I have been making very little progress so I need to put my foot down and get stuff done. I started painting the primaris in groups of two which I hope works out for me.

27234271737_17637eb283_z.jpg

27234271827_f929daf88f_z.jpg

27234271867_14667ee414_z.jpg

27234271797_59deac5542_z.jpg

I'd say that the batches of two is working for you, the quality is super high as ever. I always paint one dude at a time I've tried batch painting so many times and oddly find it slow my completion rate down as I get all disheartened at not finishing things regularly I much prefer to think that is 20% of the squad done than try and persuade my self that 5 basecoated dudes is 20% done. As to style I know exactly what you mean I admire so many really down and dirty battle torn and weathered armies but I feel that the clean style is what I do to the most competent standard.  Honestly I think you can and have done both brilliantly but I feel your skills are shown to their best with your clean dudes.   

I totally agree if I batch paint it tends to be in groups of 3 or 4 at the most usually leaving a sgt or similar to paint last.

I also get where you are coming from about wanting to try new things but at the same time maintain a level of consistency across the army.

Your current style is supremely crisp and your excellent green stuff work really puts a personal touch on it and makes it stand.

As ever I look forwards to seeing more though it will need to be impresive to top your redemptors.

Edited by JJD

• 10 months later...

Hey all, hope everyone is doing well, been lurking but haven't had much time for the hobby myself until recently, the aesthetics of the primaris next to my older marines was really bugging me so I started upscaling some of my marines (guess I can be grateful that I never really finished too manyof my older units) and here is a test model which will hopefully become a full squad, I'm trying to balance painting the first 5 primaris intercessors while modelling taller marines and will hopefully keep the progress flowing this time.

40702883403_c1bd0fc0a4_z.jpg

40702883083_456f82a588_z.jpg

40702882793_1659854f90_z.jpg

40702882493_32140bc7f9_z.jpg

Anyway hope everyone is having/had a good Easter and all the best from this very bad slacker.

Looks fantastic- where did you make the cuts/extensions?

I made the feet bigger by about 2-3mm by shaving down the trim and then redoing the bottom part, I then add another 2mm or so at the joint between and thighs and cod piece (pelvis) and then about 3-4mm at the waist . I don't actually use a ruler or anything for measurements and just stick GS into the areas based on what i feel looks right anyway I hope this picture helps.

46945318894_be9a7acf08_z.jpg

I know a lot of people prefer to use terminator legs but I really wanted to keep the look of a lot of the older armours especially since Iron and crusade are faves of mine. It helped when I used primaris as a base and tried to match the feet, ankles, knees, thighs all the way up on the mini I was working on.

Awesome! Will he still have a skull shoulder pad? Nakir is a chaplain chapter master right?

I don't plan on using a skull shoulder pad although the background states he was an interrogator chaplain I may try to make the ornamental crozius which is mentioned in his description but still not sure.

Where's Nakir's body from?

The body is a chopped up stormcast eternal sequitor glued onto a primaris torso which had the equila sanded off