What has been your go-to unit in 8th Edition?

Fraters & Sororitas

With the new edition out and about, I was wondering what has been the units that you have found yourself putting in every battle because of how awesome they are now?

For me, it has been the Centurion Devastators, followed closely by the Stormtalon Gunship.

The combination of the new splitfire rules, and the ability to move and shoot heavy weapons without penalty have been awesome. Add in the awesomeness that is the omniscope (ignoring cover), and that unit has become the mobile firebase of shooty death that I always imagined in my head.

As for the stormtalon, now it just feels like something that a Space Marine commander would call in for Close Air Support.

How about you?

I find myself using the captain/lieutenant combo because I don't have guilleman or calgar.

I am also enjoying sticking a company ancient and apothecary next to my devastator squads to get extra value out of the heavy weapons!

Once I get more units I'll have a better idea haha!

Bare bones captain standing with a lasplas devastator squad and supported by a Venerable Hellfire dreadnought.

Its a strong fire base to support my advancing units, so far it has been used to destroy the biggest threats in turn 1 as the Signum boost means i can fire three bs 2+ lascannons with rerolls of 1s, then the rest can fire normally, with plasma overcharging thanks to captain bubble.

Guilliman.

But other than the big boss, a Stormraven. It's a flying land raider. Hard To Hit matters more than you'd think and it takes significant firepower to bring it down. I've had a good time dropping Cato and a tac squad into an important space and evicting the current residents. Add an Ironclad or chapter champion for further fun.

It's also a good source of Hurricane Bolters which I have found to be good in every matchup and downright critical in several of them.

This makes me curious.

I believe you when you say that the hurricane bolter is great but every platform that can wield it costs more than 6 or 12 marines with bolters.

What is making the hurricane bolter carrier better than those marines?

Ummm....high toughness, more wounds, other high power weapons, very fast movement with transport capability...I don't understand the question.

You don't buy a Stormraven ,*because* of the hurricanes. You buy the hurricanes because you're taking a Stormraven.

Ummm....high toughness, more wounds, other high power weapons, very fast movement with transport capability...I don't understand the question.

You don't buy a Stormraven ,*because* of the hurricanes. You buy the hurricanes because you're taking a Stormraven.

My Stormraven has been gathering dust since halfway through 6th. So I think it might be time to break it out. :D 

My Stormraven has been gathering dust since halfway through 6th. So I think it might be time to break it out. :D

Supposedly, many of the first tournaments over the weekend have been filled to the gills with Guilliman and Stormraven spam or Razorback spam. As I am perhaps one of the worst 40k players in the history of 40k, competitively speaking, I didn't realize that the Stormraven was that good in the pre-codex meta. But it does make sense. Breaking it out seems like a good idea. Provided your people don't mind playing against premier units.

For me it's actually been my Landraiders.

Specifically the Crusader. They're not easy to kill and despite being rather expensive points wise I brings a lot of firepower to the board and is a wonderful distraction carnifex.

In top of that it is a very durable transport and it's changed for me in the new edition to being a very good all rounder

I haven't had a chance to put my landraider out yet. I used to put it in every list last edition. But I will admit, I have been enjoying the more elite feeling of my Space Marines since my force tends to be much smaller than many of my opponents. That wasn't always the case a few months ago.

Stalkers are the vehicles with Stormcannons ans they only have 2 of them, not 3.

Still, 6 shots is nice.

The problem I have is against non-fly units, a Dreadnought with twin Autocannons has 2 more shots that hit on 3+ and only costs 12pts more. Against flying units you still get about 4 hits. Shouldn't be that bad.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Yes I've been using a Venerable Dreadnought with Assault Cannon and Twin Autocannons as a great little fire support unit. Along with a Captain it's killing loads of infantry.

(I rate the Assault Cannon because the 10 shots is better for its intended use - infantry killing)

• 5 months later...

Played around 13 games over past two weeks and my go to unit was a Leviathan dreadnought with twin storm cannon array, it prevented any linebraker attempts and destroyed vehicles that came too close, it kept enemy troops away from on average 2 objective markers, and easily reaped it points back.