Prot Batrep: Black Legion (Abaddon) Vs. Admech (Pics)

Prot

Hey guys,

A very quick battle report here. I apologize in advance as my Black Legion testing has been largely done with proxies so these pics are a little on the ugly side... but I sold most of my Black Legion and will have to proxy a lot of this.

The Game:

- Maelstrom Objective X (You can't discard secure objective "X" and your opponent can always steal it.)

- 2,0000 points.

- Admech :

Knight

2 priests, 3 of those big robot things with fists, and shooty stuff. And a priest warlord. Onagar Dunecrawler, a squad of shooty Skitarii and a squad of the assaulty dudes with multi wounds and tasers. Dunestriders (tall walkers?) are infiltrating as well. A 3 man squad of Grav cannon dudes, and a 3 man squad of Plasma Cannon dudes.

- Black Legion:

Abaddon w/ 5 Shooty Terminators, Sorc in Termie armour

Questoris Knight - very shooty variant (my fave variant so far)

Baledrake

3 Oblits

3 x 10 Culitsts (one squad has 2 flamers)

3 x Spawn

gallery_2760_9960_96734.jpg

+These are Abaddon's forces. Sorry for the mismatch of various models. +

gallery_2760_9960_36925.jpg

+ I got tired of proxying Abaddon so I did a quick conversion. I honestly don't know if it's worth painting it up. I've been saying for a year he's getting a new model and.... still waiting. So I may be forced to paint this up. +

Early Game:

- I go first, Admech fails to steal the initiative (for once!)

- Baledrake zooms up, takes 1 flame shot at Skitarii, goes to do a dual assault into Skitarri and the Onagar Dune Crawler (the shots on these things is insane I had to tie it up). My Baledrake.... takes 6 WOUNDS in OVERWATCH. Stupid bird can't even dodge a wrench apparently!

- I commit to the Alpha Strike: Abaddon the Termie Sorc, 5 Termies all come in from reserves right in the middle. I also put the Oblits just to the outside flank of the ruins to stay within Abe's 6" circle of love. (I drew objective 2 which was in the ruins). This is where everything goes terriblly for Abaddon and the funky bunch:

1. Abaddon orders the Sorc to cast Warp Time on him.I successfully cast it, and Abaddon moves closer to the trio of Huge Robots (Castellans?) and their Techpriest. They are no slouch in CC and I know this from past experience.... BUT, I know I took the Khorne Icon on the 5 man termie squad to help out in Close Combat.... Truly it even pains me to type this....

2. The Teriminators unload all kinds of hell... 2 Plasma combi's, meilta combi, Autocannon into the Knight, while the Bolter part of the combi is shooting 4 shots each into his robots!

3. Termie Sorc unloads Plasmas as well into the Knight. Combi bolters into robots.

4. Abe Unloads his Talon into Robots.

5. Obliterators unload magical crappy shots at Robots (S7, AP1, D1) Thank you fickle powers of the warp... how I love Chaos Random Gods!

All of this is within Abaddon's circle of love. Just outside the circle of love, my Questoris Knight unloads Storm missiles, dual Battle Cannon and Avenger Gatling into the Knight.

The good news is the Knight takes almost nearly half of its hullpoints! (one short of crippled stats)

The Bad news is Abaddon makes his charge, swings a way at the robots, at T7 I elect to use Drachnyen because of the D6 bonus which I get 5, for 11 attacks + False Emperor bonus.... that's a lot of hits.... but I could not roll 5's to save my life. Abaddon kills one robot and 2 wounds on another one. Abaddon took a wound in overwatch, and 3 more wounds from robot fists which apparently hurt pretty bad.

All in all this is quite full of fail.... now for the big mistake....

Admech Turn:

- He draws cards, juggles his positioning, and withdraws the Castellan robots and priest from Close Combat.... wow.... then it occurs to me... I completely forgot to charge (with re rolls) my Terminator squad into the Castellan robots to help Abaddon!

- Abaddon takes all available shots from the Plasma Cannons, and Grav Cannons in the face and he is blow to pieces several times over until all you can see is that top knot sticking out of the burning debris that was his armour.

- The Black Legion Terminators watch on in horror as the Admech Knight unloads into them, and they all die but one (with the assault cannon). That last Termie gets sliced to death by the Admech Knight in CC.

A brutal first turn. The Black Legion had lost their Alpha Strike (which quite frankly did very mediocre). I had lost the re-roll aura and my CC ability was greatly diminished.... Black Legion had no reason to go on, and the Culitists were all considering running off with the Spawns and getting married. It looked bad.

Mid Game:

- I am in the lead and this largely because of the Cultists squatting on objectives in my zone, however in a very, very bizarre twist of fate, the Obliterators are preventing the Admech from scoring by simply refusing to die....Granted the Admech didn't put much attention into these fools, as they couldn't damage anything.

- The brightside of this is the Questoris Knight is undamaged, it was time to poke his head out entirely and be extremely aggressive....

gallery_2760_9960_282579.jpg

gallery_2760_9960_429663.jpg

+ The Culitsts are threatened by flanking Skitarii close combat units, and the 3 Dunesrtiders.... amazingly the Spawn came to the rescue. One died to shooting but the others didn't seem to care, and they absolutely butchered the Skitarii to my amazement. Then they rolled into the Dunestriders, and killed one, while leaving the survivor at one wound. The Cultists watched on in horror and amazement as the Spawn start some strange Chaos ritual with the dead skitarri.+

- The Baledrake continues to harass. It isn't killing much, but the claws keep damaging the Dune Crawler wound at a time. It's a slow motion slap fight, but the Dune Crawler can really do damage if left unchecked.

gallery_2760_9960_535039.jpg

+ The Questoris Knight rolls in. The Terminator sorc has escaped death in the middle of the ruins while the Renegade Knight finally kills the Admech Knight from shooting. + (with some vital wounds taken off the Admech Knight by Smite from the Sorc too)+

gallery_2760_9960_220278.jpg

+ The middle was still contested by a very annoying Techpriest who kept killing the best of my "Legion"... but they were fine cultists. Never underestimate the power of soiled underwear and a strong belief in a dead Despoiler. +

Late Game:

- The Admech rush towards the Cultists dies down thanks to the Spawn and the Obliterators shoot again and do squad, but they roll into the close combat against the Skitarii Rangers.

- In the middle (above picture) it was getting ugly. We both had very few models, but the middle represented serious points for both of us. You can score "Defend Objectives" on your opponents turns so I kept throwing chaff into the middle, but I had run out....the Techpriest shouldn't be underestimated. He kept shooting into CC and hacking down cultists with bad hygene and worse weapons. I would be forced to put the Sorc into harm's way.

- The points were well in Black Legion's favour at this point. The Obliterators kept preventing scoring... and while they would kill next to nothing, they kept tying up stuff, and refusing to die. After the death of the Baledrake, it was up to the Obliterators to keep firing at the Dunecrawler and in the 5th turn they would finally roll decent dice: S9, AP1, D3, and kill it.

- The Spawn were pure beast mode. Their hits are truly punishing but it is a dice luck heavy unit requiring good rolls to get decent volume of attacks. Still the right side of the table was firmly in Black Legion's hands.

- With the Admech Knight dead, the Admech put all fire power into the Questoris and he was quickly down to 15 wounds (I only recall making one 5+ save which is a 100% more than I typically make)

- The middle is still hotly contested....

gallery_2760_9960_585.jpg

+ The last of the great Cultists go down in a hail of shots in close combat from the Priest. In the Black Legion's turn the middle must be won to seal the deal.+

- The Knight finishes off the shooty Cataphrons (Grav and Plasma units) and then destroys the last robot which was right in front of him.

- The Terminator Sorc for 2 Fight Phases has been unable to put a dent in the Tech priest... so he does what Sorcerers do and plays dirty... casting 2 Smites he fries the Priests brain and finally claims the points for the central marker.

- Admech tries to retaliate but the Warlord and a few dudes are all that's left (for both sides).

- The game points are well in the Black Legion favour but this had almost nothing to with Abaddon unfortunately.... what would have happened if the Termies tried that charge? Would it have made any difference? Did the Obliterators have an absolutely horrible game? Or the worst game you've ever seen? (I still can't figure that one out.)

Anyway it was a fun and very interesting game. The "Playa's of the Warp" award goes to: Questoris Renegade Knight, and the Spawns. I say both of them for the reason that I truly thought the game was over when Abaddon and the Termies went down so easily, so quickly and did so little..... the Knight put a HUGE dent in the Admech which was very lucky, but crucial. Yet on the entire right flank of the table, all I had to hold it was Cultists which surely would have crumbled to the Skitarii units and dunestriders if it weren't for the resilient and speedy Spawns.

Thanks for checking out this batrep.

Edited by Prot

Entertaining report as ever Prot :tu: I for one would love to see you go back the the Black Legion - I would give Abaddon a few more chances, I find him pretty good for the points though I compare him to the last edition really for that, and I used him a lot then too despite being infinitely worse :P Personally I am going to be using two squads of Terminators for Alpha Strike when I get more games under my belt, though I don't run a big points Knight, who was MVP for you here.

Thank you very much for reading it guys. I agree... I may have to paint him... I'm just so slow... I imagine putting the final shades on the Talon of Horus only to see a magical release of the real deal and he will look amazing. :)

Entertaining report as ever Prot :thumbsup: I for one would love to see you go back the the Black Legion -

I appreciate that! I will keep it in mind. I have been playing all of the Legions that have real rules right now. Thousand Sons, KDK, World Eaters, Deathguard and Black Legion. 

Thousand Sons are definitely the most potent in my mind but the strength in overcoming most foes with Thousand Sons for me at least, has been super smite. There's other tools but the one go-to for the list is heavy smite.

I would give Abaddon a few more chances, I find him pretty good for the points though I compare him to the last edition really for that, and I used him a lot then too despite being infinitely worse :tongue.: Personally I am going to be using two squads of Terminators for Alpha Strike when I get more games under my belt, though I don't run a big points Knight, who was MVP for you here.

I would like to. He lends a strong alpha strike, but I do worry about very numerous opponents that don't really care.... like 100 conscript style Astra.... 150+ ork lists... Tyranids. But it might be in just taking a different approach I suppose. Guilliman will always have the best 'stay home' aura I'm certain, and Calgar is like Abaddon, except no extra CP's. (which is very strange to me)

I have tried Oblits now and really, really felt them to be mediocre, but they are cheap. After the game, doing some math, it appears that 5 termies... just with Combi bolters (4 shots at 12" re rolling isn't horrible) all with axes is about the same points cost and approximately the same wounds, but while inferior in shooting, they are far better in CC just based on the axes alone. 

That being said if Oblits were 3-4 shots a piece I think I would side with them even though I despise the random element which haunted me this game.

BUT going back to what works today.... I'm thinking of building a second squad of Terminators too.

I just don't know if I have it in me to do another Chaos army. I mean I'm duplicating stuff all over the place, I have red Landraiders, Thousand Sons rhino's/raiders, Crimson Slaughter Landraider/Rhino's, World Eater Maulerfiends.... it's getting ridiculous!

The only good part is I feel it works, and is okay to use multi coloured Cultists. They have to have some identity and the squads are easier to keep apart. Otherwise I'm looking at more landraiders, Terminators (just finished painting 15 THousand Sons termies!!)

I have so much World Eaters too... it's sitting in limbo because the rules just don't really gel with my KDK right now. 

I did enjoy playing Black Legion it's the options... even if they aren't stellar, the options are 'fun'. Havoks, cultists, Warp Talons, etc, etc.. .these are options not available to most of the legions I currently enjoy. 

My one beef is serious issues with Chosen, Possessed, and I hate to say it... but vanilla CSM. I'd rather take Cultists (as I did in this game) and pour the real points into the elite units that seem to get the work done. 

All in all, a fun game though. Unfortunately I have TONS of ultra on my desk too at the moment. lol

You could always keep the Legion on the back burner as a 'fun' project. I just like the idea of Termies with Abaddon for fluff reasons, I can't imagine he takes to the battlefield all that often and when he does, he comes with lots of Terminators!! Atm they are in a fairly decent place - you could bring a horde of your own with cultists if you don't want too many CSM (the models suck as well after all, I use my Chosen to represent the :P )and lots of heavy support to, er, support :D I am currently trying out Heavy Bolter Rapiers, a Sicaran and a Deredeo as I dislike the new Oblit rules.

For the record I am supporting the initial drop with bikes and the CSM have Rhinos and also rock plasma, one squad of Termies has melta, the other has plasma, 2nd HQ is a Sorcerer :tu:

I like where you're going with Abaddon. I definitely liked him with the terminators but I'm torn on the Obliterators. Yes they are terrible models, but I used them back when they had 80's rock band hair and Kiss boots!

They are an old hold over from my iron warrior days but I did some thinking and I believe you get better performance out of a single 5 man Terminator unit. Even with vanilla combi Bolters for clearing plebs.

I really liked this Knight configuration but I do have a Fire Raptor I'd like to try out and a Decimator coming in the mail with dual Soukburner Petards.

I really don't like the current CSM marines as troops.... I would stick with fearless cultists in Abaddon's presence. The problem is I feel like Deathguard and Thousand Sons have a much better set up for low level troops, and mid level marine troops. I feel like Black Legion desperately need something.

On Chosen: I'm having reasonable success with the following setup - Ten man unit, power fist and combi plasma on champ, two combi plasma and two combi meltas on guys. Season with 2-3 chainsword and bolt pistol guys and leave the rest with just bolters.

I run three squads of that in Rhinos. You can shoot most things, and you're chucking a reasonable amount of attacks out in assault. I'm currently playing at 1500, so I back it up with an autocannon Havoc squad and a Heldrake, with Huron riding shotgun in one of the Rhinos. I drop one of each basic bod to make room for him and the Hamadrya.

Dragonlover

That does sound like a valid idea for the Chosen. My problem is the heart of my army is Abaddon and his Aura of Happiness. Huron is an old friend of mine, and I bet he gets a lot better, but he definitely makes more sense in an army like that. With Abaddon I feel like I need to keep deep pressure on my opponent in their zone with plenty of varied firepower. 

Although I won this game, I admit I screwed up badly with Abaddon but the Cultists allowed me to save points for a Knight which is far better than I thought (so bloody expensive though.) I can see areas of the list I could clean up on.

[...]

The Bad news is Abaddon makes his charge, swings a way at the robots, at T7 I elect to use Drachnyen because of the D6 bonus which I get 5, for 11 attacks + False Emperor bonus.... that's a lot of hits.... but I could not roll 5's to save my life. Abaddon kills one robot and 2 wounds on another one. Abaddon took a wound in overwatch, and 3 more wounds from robot fists which apparently hurt pretty bad.

Abaddon is very nice in combat, since you can use both weapons, the talon and the sword. The rules say, that everytime you attack (not "attack with the sword") you roll for the additional hits. That means, Drach´nyen is like a chainsword, it gives you additional attacks even when you strike with the talon (and it means there is no escape from the mortal wounding backlash of the sword, since you must roll for the D6 everytime you attacks).

He has 6 attacks in his profile. He can use this 6 attacks with the talon and then gets +D6 attacks with Drach´nyen. You can also make 1 attack with the talon and 5 attack with Drach´nyen and then +D6 with Drach´nyen. Or 0 attacks with the talon and 6+W6 with Drach´nyen. Any combination you like. But it doesn´t matter with which weapon you attack, you can make everytime D6 additional attacks with the sword.

Edited by Lord_Valorion

Prot, that was a good read, and hard fought!

The knight seemed to do very well. You don't miss having a melee weapon on it? The feet do enough damage?

Thank you.

The knight does so much damage in shooting I don't miss the cc arm. But that being said a lot of my army is cc capable with chainfists etc. The feet have been pretty darn good with the attack bonus. The cultists are there to stop cc Knights from reaching him in close combat.

• 2 weeks later...

That report remind me i found a alternative Abadons models who was just gorgeous. Can't remember the name of the company who made it. The model had a name like "lord of crusade". 

Auto-quote for the greater good of Chaos (yep) : 

ABBADON-008.jpg

Here's a fresh alternative for Abbadon. Now you can get your ass slam in style in these Konnor campaign with you Abadon while Imperial scum already got relics, free bonus and stratagem. 

Enjoy.