Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Apocalypse: Converting for 8th

8th Edition Apocalypse Home Grown Rules

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Captin spiros

Captin spiros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 257 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels 2nd company

Greetings Brothers,

Today I was playing a large doubles game with some friends. While playing I began thinking as to how you could play an apocalypse game with a large number of players in any sort of timely fashion.

While most phases have become streamlined and easier to resolve (notably movement, psychic, and shooting) both deployment and the combat phase has become a much more complicated matter when keeping a "multiple players per side," mind set. This became very clear in my doubles game, where both phases became a bit of a mish mash of "who's turn is it?" Which put a dampened the mood a tad.

So my question to you, wise and venerable members of the apocalypse board page is: How could we convert these phases to be less confusing when playing large multiplayer games, without tweaking the rules too much?

I had thought of a couple of solutions to the deployment phase, and that was to either let players put one unit down each at a time (if the number of players per side were equal) or use the previous editions apocalypse rules of using a timer to deploy everything in, or using screens so both sides deployed at the same time.

However I cannot think of anything for the combat phase! Do you have any ideas?

Regards,

Captain Spiros

Avast! Traitor! Fear my elegance!

8.jpg

Adeptus

Adeptus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,091 posts
I think using the old timers for deployment would be a good idea.

For combat, I think the game will speed up as people get more familiar with the rules, but I also think that using markers for units would be a great brain saver.
  • Honda likes this

Captin spiros

Captin spiros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 257 posts

I never thought of markers. That's a great idea.

I also discussed the problem with some friends of mine, and they had suggested using a Warmaster per side to help keep track of/ dictate the order the combats take place.

I plan on organizing an apocalypse-sized event at my LGS near the end of the Konor Campaign. Using a similar deployment and mission as IA9's Palace of Thorns Scenario, with Robby G leading the Imperials (who will be defending) against the main man Morty (when he's released) leading Chaos (Attacking), with whatever Xenos Players split up between the sides as to even up the numbers.

We'll give the warmaster idea a go. If it works it works, if not, back to the drawing board.

• Honda likes this

8.jpg

Kenderleech

Kenderleech

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 200 posts

this coming weekend, we are going to try just resolving combats the same way we have for years.  One fight at a time.  charge, fight, go to the next.  for deployment, Just letting people deploy.  anything not on the table in 10 minutes, sits in reserve.  both sides going at the same time, so it negates the advantage the same way

The Ordo Xenos.   Using the alien to purge the mutant and the Heretic for time immemorial.

Redtoof

Redtoof

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 334 posts
I had some thoughts about this a little while back. It was always difficult enough catching the eye of the person whose unit you want to punch, let alone now that the whole team would have to pick combats in order.

Ultimately I couldn't think of an easy solution. I feel like you can either go down the route of just playing by the rules and having some kind of arbitrary timer or selection process for units (e.g. Always start from the left and move down the field), or change the core rules a little to allow multiple people to fight at once.

One suggestion I had was to just allow all units to attack in combat simultaneously. Everyone on both sides rolls to hit and wound with their units in melee at the same time, then record the number of saves required. (Possibly via post-it note stuck next to that unit) Then everyone has a 'save phase' where they go down the line and take all their saves. This could be extended to a lesser extent to the shooting phase, which might speed things up a little more.

This method does remove a significant tactical part of the game as it currently plays, effectively buffing glass cannon melee units getting charged, but needing those that are charging. But it may be a sacrifice worth taking if it keeps the game flowing.
Was Inquisitor Quidam. Now I've slipped into something more comfortable.

Battle reports:
Tyranids: http://www.bolterand...yranid-battles/
Ad Mech: http://www.bolterand...admech-battles/
Orks: http://www.bolterand...s-orky-battles/
Chaos: http://www.bolterand...-chaos-battles/

Captin spiros

Captin spiros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 257 posts

One thing that has come up since I posted this is "The General's Handbook 2017," for Age of Sigmar, which has a similar combat mechanic to 8th edition.

The book has guidelines for larger team games (essentially apocalypse), one of which is, in regards to combat, is to have each player a side choose a unit to make a combat, then switch to the next side, where all of those players choose a combat to fight in. It's a system that shortens the combat phase by a large margin, and might be worth implementing to 40k.

One other rule I quite liked the novelty of is that players on a side couldn't discuss tactics unless their army generals were within a certain range of each other (representing the confusing fog of war) This might be fun to adapt to 40k apocalypse (Army Generals have to be either within a certain range of each other, a model with a vox caster, or a vehicle (which would have more advanced vox range))

• Honda likes this

8.jpg

Honda

Honda

++ HOSTICUS PLAUSTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,830 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars

Our group primarily plays Apoc games, but as we're still trying to get past the 150 PL for the entire crew, I feel like we have some time to let a "Generals Handbook" thing come out.

That being said, the markers idea, one commander per side to decide attacks or two generals within a specific range all seem like reasonable potential answers.

Anyway, I hope we get some answers soon, I miss all the fun we've had in Apoc.

gallery_15184_7227_34669.jpg

"All those rumors about us being intolerant and stubborn really just evolved from our history. We're actually just a fun bunch of guys who enjoy burning witches" - Anon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 8th Edition, Apocalypse, Home Grown, Rules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users