Malefic Lords seem promising...

Azekai

Title says it all. This was one of the few entries in the list that got my attention. For 30 points you get a nice, hideable Smite machine who actually buffs itself after suffering from perils of the warp.

The Renegades and Heretics Discipline list is somewhat limited, but Smite is vicious no matter what, and even a few of the other powers have their uses. Warp Flux is best used as a short range nuke for vehicles, and this utility makes it far and away the best option. It also has the added benefit of being a close range alternative to Smite that can target whoever you want at the price of increased warp charge.

Creeping Terror is more specialized, but there could be some amusing synergy when employed with other Leadership-targeting weapons or units, like butcher cannons or chaos furies.

I don't want to talk about Unnatural Vigor.

The (burrito) Supreme Command detachment looks pretty tempting right about now... toss the crazy witches in a party wagon Chimera and then hop out to melt something annoying in a blaze of sorcery. A pack of these guys can cause some serious damage to elite infantry or big scary war machines... and if you feel the warp overtaking you- it is a good thing...

I can't quite figure out the benefit if any of multiple Renegade Commanders, so my plan is most of my HQ being these guys. Though my renegades are Khornate, and I can't decide if Khorne Priests are too fluff killing or if it's just one of those things you need to do to have a coherent army. That said, +5pts for these guys over commanders seems like a no brainer since we don't have orders or anything like that, and they're more attractive to me than a coven for some reason. I don't know why but I also like the fact that these guys (and all our characters) can summon daemons. I feel it's something not a lot of people will be expecting until they're used to the rule set.

I mean, there was a novel with a Khorne Priest wielding blood sorcery or some such. I think it was one of the Sabbat Crusade ones?

Malefic Lords are definitely worth trialling out, though. I wonder how they'd pair with a Renegade Commander /w Covenant of Tzeentch/Nurgle?

In one of the early Gaunts Ghost novels there is a battle where a khorne leader who is all about killing his own people when the tide of the battle seems turned when it was really just a single squad that has infiltrated his fortress. I believe he was sort of a demagoge or something to that extent. Khorne and sorcery however do not mix.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks to me like unnatural vigour is there for the psyker coven.  You've got a 62.5% chance of making it with 3d6, 82.5% chance if you spend a CP to re-roll the lowest number.

I wouldn't even try it with a malefic lord.  Even spending a CP, you've only got a 35% chance.

Mhm. Lots of cheap HQs that are easy to protect and great for overwhelming enemy psychic defenses. The fact that you get +1CP to boot is just the cherry on top. You can also toss in an enforcer or marauder squad, which might be a good idea given how those slots are pretty competitive in the R&H list.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a FW rogue psyker but I prefer using converted electro priests:

Got a box of electro-whatsis and have been chopping them up to make Malefic Lords. Lemme know what you think! They are probably going to see paint soon, as I want to draft them into the horrific meatgrinder that is the Konor Campaign.

http://i.imgur.com/1kuYY8h.jpg?1

Like Perigrin, I swap out the heads... ghouls, Pig Iron substitutes, even used a plaguebearer head (not pictured). The only thing I dislike about the electro priest is the skirt, which I feel like drags a lot of the eye downward and makes the miniature look a bit bottom-heavy. I am working on fixing that...

Seriously though, it seems like I bring at least three of these thing to every game. They are so good, probably the best thing in the R&H list, with earthshakers being a close second.

I always take at least 4 in a supreme commamd detatchment now, i am looking in to getting another box to make more of them, as they really are the stars of the army, tied with Marauders in terms of sheer cost efficient awesome. They are basically an Eldar warlock for 7 less points with a better smite, T4, twice the wounds, and a buff on Perils. Nasty character, synergizes well with the Arvus Lighter, as it gives them and their smites a huge amount of mobility, and can hold as many of them as you need.

I have a few WIP evil electro priests on my table, the main thing bugging me is the wrestling championship belt they wear. I dont know why but im trying to figure out something to cover it.

Sorry to double post, but you could Greenstuff on a chaos mutation growth or a big Nurgle gut-sack thing

I have a few WIP evil electro priests on my table, the main thing bugging me is the wrestling championship belt they wear. I dont know why but im trying to figure out something to cover it.

Sorry to double post, but you could Greenstuff on a chaos mutation growth or a big Nurgle gut-sack thing

Thats an idea actually.

Ya know ive been running 3 consistently in a few battles, havent had a single one hulk out via perils >: /

Akrim, I bet your greenstuffing skills are up to the challenge, but an easy way to achieve a similar look without sculpting would be to hollow out the belt/stomach area.  Then you can glue in the 'guts' bit from the zombie sprue and Hey presto!

Disembowelment makes everything better. 

Do you guys think:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Chaos-Sorcerer-Lord-2016

With an appropriate head swap would be okay for a Malefic Lord or would I need to remove the staff also?

I think the staff looks a little overwrought; an outstretched claw or grasping hand would be a good alternative. However, if  you like the staff, keep it.