Malefic Lords seem promising...

Azekai

I'm really tempted at cramming a bunch of Malefic Lords in a Valkyrie with a small marauder squad to accompany them, to run alongside my Chaos Space Marines. 4-5 malefic lord plus a plasma marauder squad is quite scary on paper. The valk can move up to 20", followed by the 3+6" disembark+move (remaining 9" away of course) and can then unload a bombardment of smites. That's a 47" threat range of multiple smites in 1 turn. The marauders double up as a small screen for the lords whilst also being a cheap special weapon platform (ie. plasma) which also benefits from the valkyrie's mobility. Basically a poor mans Tempestus Scion squad.

(remaining 9" away of course)

I don't understand this part. Why 9" away? Did they amend the rules for disembarking from a Valkyrie to require that, or is it to stay a safe distance or something?

*edit*

Ah, I see. For grav-chute insertion. Well, can still just hover 20" and not follow that restriction.

Edited by Juggernut

• 4 weeks later...

Smite spam shouldn't exist, but now Primaris Psykers are just stupid. Malefic Lords weren't that great, in that their only real draw was smite. Primaris can cast all sorts of better stuff, but oh well.

Edited by Azekai

Smite spam shouldn't exist, but now Primaris Psykers are just stupid. Malefic Lords weren't that great, in that their only real draw was smite. Primaris can cast all sorts of better stuff, but oh well.

Who says Primaris Psykers are not getting nerfed either, CA seems to be targeting some of the major units players tend to over spam, they couldn't mention every unit getting price increases so I'd say it's quite likely the Primaris Psykers get a huge price increase as well

Well, I think I can understand their logic a bit. Chaos lord cost 72. Here we have psyker, so additional 8 points for that. But... both have 4++ invul. Malefic don't have his own saves aside from invul. He can't fight until he get perils, so we give our points into thing that can damage him and this is not a fact, that we will be able to punch something that will be worth it. I don't even speak about big amount of weapon, that Chaos lord can bring withing. And his rerolls of 1...

So, yeah, overpriced. 

It will be even more shameful if their culitists is going to cost 5, not four. And their cheap infantry still cost 4, when just regular guardsmen have 4+ BS and orders, while renegades have 5+ BS and have only special and heavy weapons or mutations. Great...

Well if they are addressing malific lords dare say they may look at the rest of the list a little 

It is a MUST since Renegade army was the weakest even before Codexes popped up. Now at least we have Grinding Advance with Leman Russ  (last FAQ approved we can use it along side with 3D6 shots of Baneblade and moving with penalty for heavy). 

Our infantry is too expensive with our abilities, psy powers and other stuff. But Enforcers now are better than Comissars. 

Who says Primaris Psykers are not getting nerfed either, CA seems to be targeting some of the major units players tend to over spam, they couldn't mention every unit getting price increases so I'd say it's quite likely the Primaris Psykers get a huge price increase as well

Both good points.  Primaris Psykers DID get a price increase...it went up only about 10 points though.  Still very affordable.

If you wanted to spam Smite, instead of using Malefic Lords, now you do so with Primaris Psykers.

I don't yet see anything that prohibits Smite spam, like making it a once-per-turn power or something.

• 2 months later...