BA "Chapter Tactics" Speculation

Charlo

+1 to wound would be quite nice indeed !

Our morale should also be boosted, at least in CC.

And closer range airborne assault !

For :cuss sakes, we're the Blood Angels, even the Ultramarines do get a +1 Ld !!!

;)

Edited by Jolemai
Swear filter dodge and unnecessary language

Apparently Friday's Twitch game is Blood Angels vs Death Guard, I wonder what that may reveal.

"Finally, war comes to the 41st Millennium with our games on Friday. We’ll be kicking off at 2:00 pm with a battle between the Blood Angels and the Death Guard, which promises to be a gruelling test of endurance for both sides."

Endurance, eh?

Endirance becaue we are somehow tougher? Or Endurance for the DG since it's the unkillable, immovable object DG vs the devastatingly lethal, unstoppable force of BA?

Not to be a downer, but $5 days the BA lose.

Another $5 says the BA list they bring is nothing like what any of us would ever bring.

Edited by Indefragable

it'll also be using the index as the BA codex is not remotely close.

Id guess they'll be using a fair bit of DC and Mephiston - which get poor mans disgustingly resilient.

as for our chapter tactics - looking at what templars got, and what scars got, I really don't know what we could get.

We wont get rerolls for charges, as thats what templars got, and most of them over on that forum are pretty unhappy about it.

I doubt we'll get advance and charge, seeing as thats a white scar strategum. 

We wont get something like FNP as thats an Iron hand thing.

I'm leaning more and more toward something a bit like orks +1 attack, but with some form of caveat attached.

Not to get OT, but I would really like to see them make use of jump pack special weapons through company vets or assault squads in the match against DG.

+1 to wound in combat sounded a bit too strong at first with the new system but after seeing what has been shown so far it really doesn't seem out of the question. If not across the board, then as a stratagem for sure.

Might be way out there on this one, but I would love to see Death Company die a wrathful death. Something like: When a model with this keyword if slain roll a d6, on a 6+ (4+ if the model is also a character or vehicle) one enemy model within 1" suffers a mortal wound.

just to chime in with possibilities not mentioned:

*maybe a consolidation move if a enemy unit falls back from combat or completely dis-allowing enemies from falling back from our units

*all of our units (including vehicles) add +1 or +2 to their move stat

*can deep strike 6" away from enemies instead of 9"

*all of out melee attacks add a -1 rend/armor piercing

hmmm....does the Iron Hands tactic include Mortal Wounds?

Edited by bushman101

Something I had thought og is if a unit disengaged the blood angels they do Mortal wounds based around a number, up to 5 models up to 10 and up to 20 do different amounts like D3, 3, 3+D3

Like I said, I have no idea what they are going to do. Time will tell.

My wishlist is actually quite short:

- make assault marines troops

- make land speeder storms accessible (I have a unit of cc scouts waiting for this for years)

- and finally (to stay ontopic) have a chapter tactics which gives some bonus to cc/charges - virtually anything will do, but I like the charge after advance, the extra movement, and of course Encarmine Fury

I don't really care if it will be a bit underpowered, at least we will avoid the bandwagoners that way (even today I saw people saying they deep down in their hearts they ALWAYS wanted a Ravens Guard army) :-)

My wishlist is actually quite short:

- make assault marines troops

This is a bug bear of mine now.

With the state of the 8th edition detachments - there is simply no need for this. It was never really fluffy and just an oddity caused by a White Dwarf Codex.

Just take the detachment that is loads of fast attack and get a bonus command point for your troubles.

We shouldn't be able to game the Battalion/ other big detachments when (most) other Codex adherant chapters don't!

The thing is, I envision that lot of tournaments will limit the number of detachments. We already have an upcoming small (1500 points) tournament with patrol detachments only. If multi-detachment tournaments will be the normal, then I agree with you competely on this topic mechanically, but I still think it makes sense from the fluff viewpoint.  

Edited by roodie

I feel an encarmine fury rule and perhaps a bonus 2 inches on charges would be a good start personally.

Other options could be something like 30k iron hands immortals rule where you get to shoot and enemy that falls back or each engaged model males one attack when an enemy falls back would feel fluffy without being to overpowered.

The thing is, I envision that lot of tournaments will limit the number of detachments. We already have an upcoming small (1500 points) tournament with patrol detachments only. If multi-detachment tournaments will be the normal, then I agree with you competely on this topic mechanically, but I still think it makes sense from the fluff viewpoint.  

Why is it fluffy?

Blood Angels follow Codex for company organisation.

So, each battle company has 6 tactical squads and 2 assault squads and 2 devastator squads. 1st company is 10 squads of vets, 10th company is 10 squads of scouts, 9th company is 10 squads of devs, 8th company is 10 squads of assault plus a couple of all tactical reserve companies.

the only thing that is fluffy, is that we should really field 10 man assault squads as standard where our other squads may well be under strength. (because it says in the codex that that is the norm)

OH herei s an idea...

What about something that personifies are combined arms approach to warfare? We shoot as good as the other marines but when the time is right let loose and charge into combat to surprise and finish off our foes. Inspiration is Raldoron, our first captain from the Heresy.

Rules currently are you can shoot at one target, charge another etc. What if our tactic was a buff to charging when you shoot at an enemy unit?

Maybe an extra 2" like people have said. Not a re-roll as that's boring. Maybe an extra attack?

Perhaps its a touch convoluted/ powerful, who knows.

I think it could be cool if say we get an extra attack when charging a unit that you shot at in the previous phase or counting as having cover against overwatch sort of like shooting to keep heads down as we go in.

Why is it fluffy?

Forgive me then - the last edition I played at all was 5th edition, where it was stated that while the Blood Angels adhere to the codex, since they LIKE assault (and jump packs, of course :-D), those squads are the first to fill up when casualities occur, leaving the tactical and devastator elements undermanned during a prolonged campaing. That's all I was thinking of, but you may be right that it is in fact unfluffy. 

Edited by roodie

Any time an enemy unit falls back out of combat with a Blood Angels unit, that unit is able to immediately make a new charge.

Blitzkrieg FTW!!

So 6" Consolidate all around then? :tongue.:

Not what I meant.

So you've got your 6 Sanguinary Guard engaged with a unit of 12 boys. The boys elect to fall back and do so. The Sanguinary Guard are allowed to immediately make another charge (against whatever target they like) and fight.

Any time an enemy unit falls back out of combat with a Blood Angels unit, that unit is able to immediately make a new charge.

Blitzkrieg FTW!!

So 6" Consolidate all around then? :tongue.:

Not what I meant.

So you've got your 6 Sanguinary Guard engaged with a unit of 12 boys. The boys elect to fall back and do so. The Sanguinary Guard are allowed to immediately make another charge (against whatever target they like) and fight.

Yeah I get you, but that charge could be between 2 and 12 inches and you'll be able to be overwatched etc. It also has the big issue of charging in the opponents movement phase then having another fight during that phase. It is very clunky. What if you do that then they fall back as its still thier movement phase? You could potentially repeat the sequence and stun lock their whole army...

A straight up 6" consolidate means you still get to jump a good distance and anything within 7" can now be stuck in combat with you and is forced to fall back and forego shooting and disrupts the battle line.

This is all speculation/wishlisting so I don't want to get into a game of "who's idea is longer."

However, one thing I keep coming back to is situational buffs. The biggest issue with situational buffs is that a skilled enemy can easily play around them. For example, if we have buffs against enemies falling back...enemies will learn not to Fall Back.

Maybe it's just my local meta, but I got charged quite a bit in 7th because opponents thought " hmmm BA are only better than me in the first round of combat in which they charge. I will therefore remove those bonuses."

Likewise, what we've seen with the Chapter Tactics so far is that they have wide implications. Iron Hands get a 6+ kinda-FNP no matter what. Not "when the enemy does x" or "only if they do y." Likewise, RG get the -1 To Hit protection regardless of the circumstances, so long as the >12" condition is met. It's not "against weapons with a certain AP value" or "if the enemy is wearing a Metallica t-shirt."

Let's not sell ourselves short!

I found the Salamanders write up interesting. How they were very straightforward (for better and worse) about what combos will work well (Agressors + Vulkan, apparently). I have to wonder if the Flamecraft Strategem is a before-the-battle kind of thing.

Edited by Indefragable

Every player will come up with strategies to counter your buff, which is what you want them to do. It's a control mechanism, and by knowing how they will adjust to it you can play your cards to lead them into how you want them to play.