3D printing questions

I have access to a very high quality 3D printer as part of my job and was thinking of using it to help save some money on building a new army for 8th. If anyone can shed some light on the following questions, that would be great.

1) Is GW okay with using 3D printed parts? I know there may be some IP conflicts with, say, 3D scanning a GW model, 3D printing them, and then reselling, but is there any issues with doing this for personal use? Will they allow them in-store or at official tournaments?

2) Can anyone weigh in on the viability of it? I don't expect to have good enough detail resolution for small or high detail parts, but certainly for things like tanks or bigger models it can work.

3) Has anyone tried 3D scanning GW models? Did it come out okay?

4) It seems my options for getting models to print are to make them myself, 3D scan existing GW models, or find models people have made and put online. Perhaps even game rips. Are there any existing 3D model sites that people can recommend?

Thanks!

1) On terms of legality I'd say its on the same level as recasts - someone might get pissed if they find out, but if you can do good cleanup and paint it well it should work.

2/3) I'll let you see for yourself 

IMG_1010_preview_featured.jpg

4) Try the thingiverse, specifically a guy named Gavin. He's done a lot of 40k stuff, mostly SM and Tyranids.

1) On terms of legality I'd say its on the same level as recasts - someone might get pissed if they find out, but if you can do good cleanup and paint it well it should work.

2/3) I'll let you see for yourself 

IMG_1010_preview_featured.jpg

4) Try the thingiverse, specifically a guy named Gavin. He's done a lot of 40k stuff, mostly SM and Tyranids.

That looks quite good! Can I ask what sort of printer these were done on, and what material, finish, etc?

I have a Lulzbot Taz 5 that I use for rapid prototyping for my job (mostly printing frames and jigs for prototype electronics. I was thinking to try printing in PETG material, as it's generally better than PLA. My usual process for cleanup is filing/sanding, gap filling with putty, then a coat of https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/xtc-3d/ before more filing and sanding for a smooth finish, then paint as normal.