Creating a new craftworld, thoughts?

Hey all,

I'm in the conception stage of making myself a craftworld.

I want to semi theme it around the old world elven God of Mathlann (Lord of sea and storms) and swooping Hawks. As far as I'm aware there is no 40k counterpart to this god, so it will be more referential than directly stating that they are influenced by this god.

But it lets me draw references from the high elves for runes and iconography. It has also mapped out a play style in my mind: The storm, the tempests. I'm thinking lots of guardians and dark reapers backed up by bikes and swooping Hawks.

What do you guys think? Any tips for fluffy craft world creation?

Edited by Lords of Preyspire

Sounds like a great idea! Tempests and storms suggests very fast moving, so maybe jetbikes and flyers to go along with the Hawks?

Most Craftworlds use 2 main colours so maybe blue+gray picturing stormy skies and seas?

I could see long ranged Dark Reapers being compared with lightning strikes, could even work with their Aspect colour scheme of black to add some lightning markings across their bodies/weapons?

Actually, Fire Dragons would look pretty awesome painted the colour of a sunset over the ocean...

A storm-themed craftworld could indeed be pretty cool :) Some stormy colours could work very well, however be careful of not straying too far towards Ulthwé schemes (with their black a bone lightning scheme)

The two questions I'd recommend you look at are the following:

- what kind of general outlook on the world have they got? Ulthwé seem to be dreamers to some extent (in the sense of predicting the future, but also in the sense that they hope for a better future for the galaxy, if not the eldar race), Biel-Tan have a more aggressive disposition, defending allies against perceived threats, Saim-hann embody more of a sense of freedom closer to nature...

- Are there any characters that might embody aspects of the craftworld's nature? Yriel shows the fallen yet still noble royalty of Iyanden, whereas Iyanna embodies the morbid practicallity of the same world; Eldrad Ulthran on the other hand embodies his craftworld's willingness to defeat Chaos at all costs, even if it means helping the Imperium

At the moment I'm thinking about making the general scheme dark blue turquoise with a dark grey helmet and blue gem stones. I need to mock up a model really to see how I feel about it.

I have been thinking about these guys as I have been working on my cothique themed high elves. I have been liberally using a lot of that personality thinking about them. So I view them as hardy starfarers who are often seen more as raiders than a standard army. An aggressive application of shurikans on one side backed up with reaper launchers, bikes and swooping Hawks. I think I would like to squeeze in a warlock conclave just because I like the models.

Outlook wise I'm thinking of them as a distrusted Biel-Tan. Given that the eldar view their dead pantheon from a more philosophical perspective I quiet like the idea of a more fanatical faction. Potentially working toward the rebirth of the gods themselves. Less interested in reestablishing an Eldar empire but seeing the bigger picture of reestablishing a pantheon. So I suppose anyone connected to them may be held in very high reverence, ie the Phoenix Lords. I haven't read much of the fracture of Biel Tan so I have no idea if any of this steps on the toes of the Ynnari fluff.