Aspiring Champions?

Not going to make a long post, but does anybody else here want Aspiring Champions back as a "cheap" HQ option?

I mean Space Marines have been given Lieutenants which fill a similar seniority/usefulness that I would like an Aspiring Champion to fill. Yet in Chaos index we've lost this "subordinate" HQ option. It's Lord (Captain), Sorcerer (Librarian), Apostle (Chaplain).

I mainly ask because there is one model in the GW range that I adore, more than any, but I don't feel it's quite right to act as a Chaos lord but would be a sublime Aspiring Champion. 

So do we expect with Chaos Codex to be given the option of a second in command HQ option?

When was the last time Chaos Lieutenant was in a codex? 3.5? But yeah, it makes sense that a Lord would have a few 'trusted' men to keep the men in line, beyond just the Champions of the squads anyway.

Will they actually GET one though? Eh, I won't hold my breath. Maybe when the Not-Primaris arrive.

We do have 8e rules for Vrosh Tattersoul, an aspiring champion, that are more impressive than lords, in my opinion. That being said, he has no point value, only a power point level.

I dont expect we will get any others except specific named examples. Just like we dont get Know No Fear, despite being more warlike, living in a literal Hell, and possibly even being there to hear the Emperor make that statement.

Edited by ThanatosMalleus

In a dream world, I want the 3.5 system back (mostly). It was so absurdly cool, fun and fluffy. It is nice having a separate profile for Daemon Princes, but having a Lieutenant and a Lord option, with the ability to pick and choose daemonic abilities to reflect how far along the path to daemon (or spawn)-dom they are, gave me endless hours of fun.

That being said, no, I do not expect us to be given an option of this sort.

I'd like to see a version of the old 3.5 chosen, basically mini heroes fieldable either as a separate unit of their own or split off as squad leaders. Call them chosen, call them aspiring champions, whatever. It was a cool system, really captured the hero-oriented, cult of personality aspect of chaos fluff.

I wasn't around for the legendary 3.5 edition so I don't know what I'm missing.

What I do know is one of my favourite thing about Chaos novels was the small amount of in fighting, and stepping on people to gain power.

And how a lord would have 3 or 4 marines underneath of equal or similar rank to each other who would all be aiming for that top job and would eliminate their rivals by various means.

That disparaging in power levels is something that made Chaos, Chaos. And the inability to represent it on the table top is just frustrating to me

I know we are in pre-codex days here, but i really do miss 7e for the wide range of chaos options that were available. As a Crimson Slaughter player I miss it especially, including Vrosh having point values. Lets hope the codex does give us plenty of options. Surely it will be nowhere near what loyalists get, but lets hope for some of that 7e glory to return. Edited by ThanatosMalleus

I actually liked the way it was handled in fantasy 7e.

You had two sections of HQs there. Big ones and minor ones. In small games you could bring only a minor one and in big games you could bring a big one and multiple minor ones. Something like that would've been great for 40k and also would have prevented the silly "characters in elite slots" thing we have now. ^^

I can see it return if GW actually has a decent plan for Codex CSM. For Death Guard the guy with the bell is essentially an Aspiring Champion. AoS Chaos still has what essentially are Aspiring Champions (most of them found in Gorechosen the boardgame).

So to me the real question is how much GW cares for CSM in 8th and I hope its more as it was in 5th trough 7th knowing that this hope isnt particulary founded on anything shown by GW so far.

Eh, the index really wasnt aiming to recreate traitor legions, tho, just get base rules up for units, and i think it did a fair job of that. More units improved than worsened, anyway. And the wait for our first codex with new subfaction rules will be much shorter than i at least had expected.

Eh, the index really wasnt aiming to recreate traitor legions, tho, just get base rules up for units, and i think it did a fair job of that. More units improved than worsened, anyway. And the wait for our first codex with new subfaction rules will be much shorter than i at least had expected.

We got a "release date" for Chaos Codex?

No, apart from that it will be second, out of 10 before christmas, so almost certainly by the end of august at the latest.  Before the codex announcement, I had expected that we'd be waiting for a year or three, based on the old pattern of GW only releasing codeces when they had new model waves ready for release.

I strongly suspect we'll see a sub-commander type unit in the CSM codex. Look at the index, on the page just before the "Heretic Astartes Army List" page - notice anything on that page that has no rules or model?

Hopefully you're right - I hadn't noticed that

If it's of any help, this was posted in the Black Templars forum (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/337019-how-to-model-the-crusader-helm-v8-bt-relic/). As well as Primaris Lieutenants, there are normal Space Marine Lieutenants in the new codex.

Surely (and I am around 90% certain now) Chaos will be getting an equivalent? Especially if they have been named in the Index.

The 8e update for Dark Vengeance actually shows Vrosh Tattersoul with the EXALTED CHAMPION keyword. Im sure they wouldnt have done that if they were not adding others.

This does also give me hope that I might see a point value for him soon.

Exalted champions! Thanks for that!

Exalted Heroes was what the Fantasy Chaos Warrior heroes were generally called before Age of Sigmar axed them apart from the Standard Bearer version.

2nd ed had Exalted Champions and Mighty Champions as 'extra' chaos lord with the Exalted Champion literally having the same stats as a Chaos lord the Mighty Champion being the weaker one.

3.5's Chaos Lieutenants were more Sorcerers with the choice of not buying any powers than anything else.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Exalted champions! Thanks for that!

Exalted Heroes was what the Fantasy Chaos Warrior heroes were generally called before Age of Sigmar axed them apart from the Standard Bearer version.

2nd ed had Exalted Champions and Mighty Champions as 'extra' chaos lord with the Exalted Champion literally having the same stats as a Chaos lord the Mighty Champion being the weaker one.

3.5's Chaos Lieutenants were more Sorcerers with the choice of not buying any powers than anything else.

The same with Chaos Lords - they could pay to be a Sorceror Lord and gained access to the Psychic powers, if they didn't take the Mark of Khorne. It would be interesting to see if they get an altered version of this when the codex comes out.