How many troop choices?

RoadRunna

Hi all

I'm new to 30k and yet to play enough games to know how many troop choices in a list I should have or you would recommend having at 2000 / 2500 / 3000pts level games?

Is 2 troop choices at 2000 and 2500 enough or should I increase my troop count by 1 for every 500pts I play?

Just looking for a general guide so I can build my list appropriately before I start buying too many sprues.

Thanks

Hi all

I'm new to 30k and yet to play enough games to know how many troop choices in a list I should have or you would recommend having at 2000 / 2500 / 3000pts level games?

Is 2 troop choices at 2000 and 2500 enough or should I increase my troop count by 1 for every 500pts I play?

Just looking for a general guide so I can build my list appropriately before I start buying too many sprues.

Thanks

Depends on the mission you play, the army you and your opponent has and so forth.

Like Gorgoff pointed out it depends a lot on various factors already.

In general, if by 'troop choices'  you mean scoring units, be they troops, elites or whatever in terms of FOC, then one scoring unit per 500 pts. has been working  like a charm for me.

In general, if by 'troop choices'  you mean scoring units, be they troops, elites or whatever in terms of FOC, then one scoring unit per 500 pts. has been working  like a charm for me.

I think this is a good rule of thumb! I'd previously been running with only three scoring units, even at 3000pts - and I think in hindsight, this was quite limiting in terms of what I could viably contest in certain missions, meaning I had to play in a certain way. I also found myself being both overprotective of, and under-utilising those squads. I've since added another, so that whilst in my regular 3000pts Death Guard list I would still only have four scoring units, they're generally comprised of three hefty Tactical Squads, buffed by my chosen Rite of War and an Apothecary. I'd suggest it depends on the army too: my current Mechanicum list only has two large sets of fearless Thralls to take, but with most other things able to contest/deny as appropriate, it doesn't feel as limiting. This would be influenced by meta and what you're generally playing against however, so worth varying!

30k is balanced in that there are missions where scoring matters a lot, but less in others. From my experiance I take less scoring units than I usually do, because it's easy to contest but hard to score (if that makes any sense). 2 scoring units is minimum up to about 1500, then you really want 3. I don't think I'd take a 4th until after 2500 unless I had a specific build in mind.