Tactics for Units: The Canoness

Montford - that figure is a Canoness; she's the original 2nd Edition Canoness! I use her as my Celestian Superior though.

Cool! She is indeed very detailed.

So what do you think of a Canoness with a combi-flamer and a power axe?  Comes to be a 61 point HQ and I can see sending her forward with Dominions, especially melta or stormbolter Dominions.

Edited by Montford981

Combi-flamers are wonderful weapons. Power axes I have less experience with but are pretty decent melee weapons if you don't want an Eviscerator (heretic). Using such a Canoness aggressively would probably pay off nicely, especially pairing that re-roll aura with Dominions.

Montford - that figure is a Canoness; she's the original 2nd Edition Canoness! I use her as my Celestian Superior though.

Cool! She is indeed very detailed.

So what do you think of a Canoness with a combi-flamer and a power axe?  Comes to be a 61 point HQ and I can see sending her forward with Dominions, especially melta or stormbolter Dominions.

Combi-flamers are wonderful weapons. Power axes I have less experience with but are pretty decent melee weapons if you don't want an Eviscerator (heretic). Using such a Canoness aggressively would probably pay off nicely, especially pairing that re-roll aura with Dominions.

I'm trying to find a decent way to pair her with Dominions too... Although as soon as she hops in their transport, they lose their scout move (or whatever it is called now)...  It's a shame that Canonesses and Imagifiers etc are all so slow.  Hopefully the new codex (which as we all know, will be released later this year, presumably with plastic sisters and a plastic repressor  :biggrin.: ) will include some way for AoF to allow characters nearby to units to piggyback on the unit's AoF (or vice versa).  

I have done something similar to that. I call it my QRF (Quick Reaction Force) and it works well to counter deep strikes (drop pods, etc). I have been using a Canoness with a Power Maul and Inferno Pistol in an Immolator with a Troop squad of 5 Sisters which has a melta gun and a Heavy Flamer. It stays in my deployment zone and warmly welcomes impertinent visitors who come in from orbit.

Ooh, that's scarily similar to mine!

I run my Canoness with an eviscerator and inferno pistol, and stick her with five Celestians (for the extra attacks) in an Immolator. The Celestians pack a plasma pistol, multi-melta and flamer.

Canoness in a transport with Celestian Squad (extra attacks and bodyguard) paired with an Imagifer/Priest in a Repressor set to deploy behind the Dominion rush and advance up behind them so as to deploy in later turns after your Murder Hobo has wrecked some face. Usually takes my opponent until late in the second turn to dismount any real amount of my Dominions. Canoness would be well placed to start helping at the start of turn three.

I keep forgetting that the Canoness allows re-rolls of 1s to hit.

This was critical last night when I fluffed with the Eviscerator and didn't re-roll any of the 1s.

GNARRRGH.

I'm still getting used to all these auras and re-rolls and stuff. :rolleyes:

I've been trying to crack the code with the Canoness for a while now and can't quite seem to settle on a solution.

I've tried combi-melta/power maul with melta/combi-melta BSS in a Repressor as an alternative to melta Doms but needing to be out of the metal box for the reroll really hurts. Melta girls really need that Vanguard move to alpha strike so...meh.

I'm thinking of maybe some HB Rets parked in cover with SB Canoness and Imagifier for something resembling long range shooting...but I have my doubts.

Sisters tend to evaporate in CC so...yeah. I'm kinda stuck.

I run mine with a bodyguard of 5 Celestians and near another unit of 10 Celestians. They are a remarkable combat unit, actually. Lots of flamers for roasting heretics and witches either before charging or when charged, re-rolls of 1 to hit in combat and shooting, and a wound-sink for the Canoness if needed.

It's more powerful than it sounds. So far they have killed everything from Sanguinary Guard to Genestealer cult armoured vehicle things.

• 1 month later...

I have done something similar to that. I call it my QRF (Quick Reaction Force) and it works well to counter deep strikes (drop pods, etc). I have been using a Canoness with a Power Maul and Inferno Pistol in an Immolator with a Troop squad of 5 Sisters which has a melta gun and a Heavy Flamer. It stays in my deployment zone and warmly welcomes impertinent visitors who come in from orbit.

This is also my battle plan with my Sister's with a bit more agression. Swap out the Inferno pistol for a Combi flamer and add a Muti Melta to the Immolator and it is my current group.