Chapter Focus: Imperial Fists

Bolter Drill is awesome. I love it. Heavy Bolter Devastators with a captain for rerolls are going to be nasty. So will Centurions with Hurricane Bolters. Love it. Not thrilled with anything else. The chapter tactic isn't bad, its just kinda dull. It wont actually affect anything in game because your opponent will just not even try to use cover. So it wont actually be used. Its just a deterrent. The warlord trait is far too situational since it only affects weapons with ap-1. Great against primaris marines and necrons but most armies wont be affected by it much. If it was ap-1 or lower, it would be really solid. But as it is, I'll probably stick with ignoring wounds on 6s.

Edited by TheFinisher4Ever

Bolter Drill is awesome. I love it. Heavy Bolter Devastators with a captain for rerolls are going to be nasty. So will Centurions with Hurricane Bolters. Love it. Not thrilled with anything else. The chapter tactic isn't bad, its just kinda dull. It wont actually affect anything in game because your opponent will just not even try to use cover. So it wont actually be used. Its just a deterrent. The warlord trait is far too situational since it only affects weapons with ap-1. Great against primaris marines and necrons but most armies wont be affected by it much. If it was ap-1 or lower, it would be really solid. But as it is, I'll probably stick with ignoring wounds on 6s.

If he doesn't try to use cover then he also won't benefit from reducing your charge range by 2" etc.

And AP-1 weapons are pretty common. It's not as situational as you may think.

Yup, think of all those Tau weapons ala Burst Cannons that no longer receive the AP-1 from the battlesuit system, advanced targeting system is it?

Couple the tactics and stratagem with re-rolls of 1's etc (hit/wound) and we suddenly become pretty lethal with the humble bolter sytems.

Strategem from Warhammer TV:

Bolter Drill:

Any 6 to hit generates another hit with bolters (not generating more from those).

Only infantry models though.

And I didn't quite manage to catch how many units / turns this strategem affects per time that you use it. Anyone know?

Looks like Bolter Drill applies to a single unit. Maybe best on Hurricane bolter laden Centurions? Pedro Kantor's Dorn's Arrow is included, and it applies to any weapon with 'bolt' in it, like Sternguard bolters and Intercessors' boltrifle. 

Edited by d36williams

Some guy got his hands on the codex:

This is how it's worded now:

BOLTER DRILL (Imperial Fists Strategem)
Use this strategem just before an IMPERIAL FISTS INFANTRY unit attacks in the Shooting Phase. Each time you make a hit roll of 6+ for a model firing a bolt weapon, that model can immediately make another hit roll using the same weapon at the same target (these bonus attacks cannot themselves generate any further attacks). For the purposes of this Strategem, a bolt weapon is any weapon profile whose name includes the word 'bolt' (e.g. boltgun, bolt rifle, heavy bolter, boltstorm gauntlet). Pedro Kantor's Dorn's Arrow is also a bolt weapon. 

Sooo... I think that Strategems can only be used once per phase, so I think for sure it won't be possible to use Bolter Drill multiple times in the same turn. However the way it's worded, does it affect just that unit who shoots directly after the Bolter Drill Strategem gets used, or does it affect all "imperial fists infantry units" afterwards? It can be read that way. Because it says "each time... a model firing a bolt weapon..." it doesnt say "each time a model from that unit firing a bolt weapon" aka you activate it directly before a unit attacks in the shooting phase and then it lasts until the end of that shooting phase for all models firing afterwards

After reading the actual text....I'm in the every unit can fire it camp. You just have to use the stratagem before an IF unit actually starts shooting. If the ability were to affect a single unit, it would have language that would clearly say so. Unless there is somewhere else that we have not seen.

It specifies "an IF infantry unit shoots" because allied units may shoot first. 

Edited by KGatch113

I think a good thing to remember too is that ALL space marines Troops choices get Objective Secured as long as you are battleforged too.

I must be missing something, I have seen no mention of ObSec in the BRB.

It's not. It's called Defenders of Humanity and its in the new codex.

I think a good thing to remember too is that ALL space marines Troops choices get Objective Secured as long as you are battleforged too.

Yup....see it now. Nice...gives a reason to take Tacticals as well as Scouts.

Yeah I don't know what either of those units are ;) :teehee:

Yeah I don't know what either of those units are :wink: :teehee:

Doesn't one of them sell cookies or something?

After reading the actual text....I'm in the every unit can fire it camp. You just have to use the stratagem before an IF unit actually starts shooting. If the ability were to affect a single unit, it would have language that would clearly say so. Unless there is somewhere else that we have not seen.

I guess with that perspective the stratagem would apply to all models with bolt weaponry regardless if it was infantry, only that you use it before an infantry unit fires, right?

That's not OP at all.

I am fairly certain that it is used once, for a single unit firing, not the entire army. It's not clear, but I very much doubt that for 1CP you get to give all your Infantry bolt weapons potential extra hits.

Yep, I actually hope it doesn't do that because it would be crazily powerful. Eldar levels of hatred will be coming our way! It's not well worded at all but it has to be for a single squad I'd say.

I like it! I like two Tactical squads with Heavy Bolters behind an Aegis at the moment. I'm going to add a Gravis captain and Primaris Lieutenant to that because I like the models and having taller leaders for my Mk3 marines works fine for me. All the IF rules just make that a nicely usable little force to attach to my Guard, which is all I ever wanted.

Lovely Jubbly.

I am fairly certain that it is used once, for a single unit firing, not the entire army. It's not clear, but I very much doubt that for 1CP you get to give all your Infantry bolt weapons potential extra hits.

I think it's very much possible to affect the whole army. It just affects Bolter which would most of the time be spread out through the whole army anyway. Unless you take a unit full of Heavy Bolter you will often just have like 4-8 Bolter in a unit which wouldn't be worth 1CP at all.

Unless you have Intercessors - 10 bolt rifles - or a tac squad with a heavy bolter, or a ten strong Devastator squad with heavy bolters - or a Scout Squad with boltguns, or whatnot.

And in a pinch, when you need to do some extra hits, or it's a critical target to kill, it's definitely worth 1CP if you consider 1CP will also let you re-roll one singular die.

If you'd read my post properly then you'd see that I included units with heavy bolter in my thought process.

What is a unit of 10 Intercessors? 10 Bolt shots. That's 1.5 6s on average. That's one additional Bolter hit for 1 CP. Wow great bargain...not. In Rapidfire range it would double of course (unless they already suffered casualties) but two additional Bolter hits for 1 CP still sucks.