Chapter Focus - Iron Hands

Oxydo

Also, I'm wondering... if there are only one WL trait and one relic each, may it be possible that there are additional supplements coming to flesh out certain chapters?

Your wording offends me.

In all seriousness though, I like what I see. The stratagem for vehicle heavy weapons, combined with the double FNP save and 2+ BS on Ven Dreads, makes them in patticular nasty.

Multi-wound models like Terminators are going to be nigh-impossible to shift, while, appropriate to their background, Iron Hands Dreadnoughts of all types are going to be unstoppable.

The hyperbole is getting a bit silly now, unless my understanding of 1 in 6 is different to theirs :rolleyes: Stratagem sounds nice though, presuming that's a purchase in advance and then laugh it up as you move and shoot with full effectiveness all game?

I dare say that you decide to use that stratagem and then get that effect for a single unit for this turn.

Nope. These Strategems cost 3 points and you can use them before the game starts.* One time use makes no sense in some cases, like the Strategem that allows you to replace a Captain with a Chapter Master.

Basicaly these Strategems force you to take at least a Battalion detachment. And then you have no CP left for other uses. Also don't forget that in a competitive setting, at 2K you can have only 2 detachments. Which means, that a lot of lists I'm seeing atm (like the SM flying circus) has no chance in using these.

*so it was said in last weeks SM vs. Harlies battle report.

Edited by Vanger

I dare say that you decide to use that stratagem and then get that effect for a single unit for this turn.

Nope. These Strategems cost 3 points and you can use them before the game starts.* One time use makes no sense in some cases, like the Strategem that allows you to replace a Captain with a Chapter Master.

Basicaly these Strategems force you to take at least a Battalion detachment. And then you have no CP left for other uses. Also don't forget that in a competitive setting, at 2K you can have only 2 detachments. Which means, that a lot of lists I'm seeing atm (like the SM flying circus) has no chance in using these.

*so it was said in last weeks SM vs. Harlies battle report.

3 Actually; at least in the Competitive references section of the rulebook, 1001-2000 points is Three detachments. 

1-1000 is 2. 

So in most games you can have up to 3, but of course that's still not much when it comes to making CP for most lists. I would presume the most powerful ones are one-time use before game begins? or something equivalent. 

So moving this back on topic, what did everyone think of the new Axe of Medusa rules?  For reference:  S+2, AP-3, D2, replaces a power axe.  Personally, I don't mind it so much, but I feel like on Captains I'm more likely to take a thunder hammer.  I guess it comes down to cost, really, so we'll have to wait a bit yet for the full details.

So it's basically between a Power Sword and a Power Fist? Sort of like a Relic Blade? Seems good on a model with only a 3+ WS, which for HQ choices I think limits you to what, a Techmarine or Librarian? Or I guess if you value consistency it could be a way to help your WS 2+ characters get more reliable wounds, since it gets TEQ on a 3+ without sacrificing -1 to WS.

The wording that you can only use the Axe of Medusa on Iron Hands models with power axes is odd.  You could give any Iron Hands character a power axe and then this upgrade, potentially.  Again, weird wording.  Decent stats though.

The stratagems excite me.  Yes, I will have my tanks move with no heavy weapon penalties please.  A pre-game purchase for that ability would be worth a good chunk of command points in my opinion, but probably only if it was for the whole game and on multiple models.  Still, glad they actually gave us Medusans some flavorful stuff.

Edited by DJMoose

We don't know yet.  The hope is that it is a pre-game CP expenditure and you benefit all game long.  However, considering that we did actually see the Black Templars' 4+ deny the witch roll as a 1CP, turn-by-turn stratagem, I'm no longer quite so sanguine about that.  It may end up being a turn-by-turn ability, which makes me less enthusiastic about it.

The Imperial Fists and their Successors are the Chapters you’ll want to pick if you like facing your enemy head on, whether you’re cutting them down at range with hails of fire or charging to meet them in brutal melee. You’ll be able to bring powerful Chapter Tactics to your games very, very soon – Codex: Space Marines is available to pre-order tomorrow, alongside the Redemptor Dreadnought and some other new units we can’t wait to show you.

From the IF/CF/BT Chapter Focus.

It makes me sad that it'll be the Primaris (which I am excited for, don't get me wrong) and not a new character for the Iron Hands.

Sounds a bit rubbish to me, for a single unit you may as well accept the -1 to hit and save CPs for more important re-rolls or whatever.

I'm inclined to agree.  If it's a case of a high-volume weapon, like an assault cannon on a Dreadnought or that new chaingun on the Redemptor, and their target is really, really important, then I can see using it.  Most of the time, I think I'd rather save my CPs. 

You guys do now have access to the ultimate salt generator.

Venerable Chaplain Dreadnought with the Tenancious Survivor warlord trait.

For every wound, you get to roll 3d6 and ignore it on any 6. Hahahahaha.

Except that only Characters can get a Warlord Trait.

But T'au can do that with a Commander with the Trait + Stim Injectors + Sense of Stone from an Ethereal. :P

Yes. Chaplain dread is a Character :)

Which also makes it hard to shoot, like other cha actors. Just to really rub in the feeling of invincibility.

Obviously being Iron Hands it'd be an Iron Father dread not an actual Chaplain, but still.

Edited by Extropian

Yes. Chaplain dread is a Character :smile.:

Which also makes it hard to shoot, like other cha actors. Just to really rub in the feeling of invincibility.

Obviously being Iron Hands it'd be an Iron Father dread not an actual Chaplain, but still.

I have been pondering this idea as well.  A chaplain dreadnought used as an Iron Father would be pretty neat, actually.

More good news on the Dreadnought front: according to Winter's point-review of the new 'dex, Ironclads are dropping a full 40 points from the Index cost.  Now, I'm curious as to whether that's a flat 40 point drop or it they're off-hand CCW is going to cost 40 points in the Codex whereas the Index had it for free (you just paid extra for the seismic hammer/chainfist).  If it's the second, there's no real change.  If it's the first, that's a pretty frickin' deep discount.