Resurrection: The Horusian Wars

R_F_D

Starting a thread to discuss the forthcoming release by John French.

Three e-shorts have been released so, one of which (Absolution of Swords) is a prequel to Resurrection.  Anyone read the shorts?  Can someone point me in the direction of any fluff on the Horusian Wars?

If you'll forgive me a shameless plug...

http://www.trackofwords.com/2017/07/17/the-horusian-wars-series-by-john-french/

EDIT: I really enjoyed the shorts, definitely worth checking out. The Purity of Ignorance links in more to the upcoming audio drama Agents of the Throne: Blood and Lies than to Resurrection, but they're all part of the big picture.

I'll be posting a review of Resurrection and an interview with John in the not too distant future, and I'll link to those - and anything else in the Horusian Wars series that comes out - in the article.

Edited by Never_born

If you'll forgive me a shameless plug...

http://www.trackofwords.com/2017/07/17/the-horusian-wars-series-by-john-french/

EDIT: I really enjoyed the shorts, definitely worth checking out. The Purity of Ignorance links in more to the upcoming audio drama Agents of the Throne: Blood and Lies than to Resurrection, but they're all part of the big picture.

I'll be posting a review of Resurrection and an interview with John in the not too distant future, and I'll link to those - and anything else in the Horusian Wars series that comes out - in the article.

Plug away!

Could be a start of a great new serie. Oh it could fail (through shorts were good - but they didn't provide me with the interest to investigate the Covenant further). But too much inquisition lately. Oversated with it. In any case what it would be  - is a good book to read. Even if it will not give you the joy for a start of a new serie.

About 70% through Absolution of Swords and it is right up there was Eisenhorn/Ravenor for me!

PS. @Never_born - thought you couldn't say if you'd read it.... :wink:  the Lodge will want their medal back! 

Edited by R_F_D

PS. @Never_born - thought you couldn't say if you'd read it.... :wink: the Lodge will want their medal back!

Dammit! Busted...

That's what I go to school for ... but I digress.

Finished Absolutionn of swords last night, now could not be more excited for the weekend's release!

How does this compare to The Carrion Throne? It seems like they are both just very different? I am currently reading the Carrion Lord and love it, so looking forward to the Watcher's throne which I guess is sort of the sequel for the Carrion throne. I do love me some John French so I will probably get this one as well. 

I am not as familiar with the 40k stuff compared to HH so wasn't sure if getting the LE would be worth it. I did preorder Resurrection on Amazon, but in reading some of the comments seems like this one will be just as good.  Like the coverart and the sort of samurai look with the psycannon on his shoulder. If this is gong to be the next Talon Of Horus book I may cancel my amazon and get the LE which does look nice!

Edited by Izlude

How does this compare to The Carrion Throne? It seems like they are both just very different? I am currently reading the Carrion Lord and love it, so looking forward to the Watcher's throne which I guess is sort of the sequel for the Carrion throne. I do love me some John French so I will probably get this one as well. 

I am not as familiar with the 40k stuff compared to HH so wasn't sure if getting the LE would be worth it. I did preorder Resurrection on Amazon, but in reading some of the comments seems like this one will be just as good.  Like the coverart and the sort of samurai look with the psycannon on his shoulder. If this is gong to be the next Talon Of Horus book I may cancel my amazon and get the LE which does look nice!

1) They are totally different. From the shorts which leads to the 'Ressurrection' the style is pretty polar to the descriptiveness and storylining of Wraight.

2) French is a definite lover of a 'Lovecraft' suspence atmosphere. It is always dark, grim, slowly running to some climax. Suspense is always building to some distant event/point in the future (Climax is always 50/50 with French. It could be BRILLIANT, or you could feel cheated in the end).

Wraight on the other hand is shining while driving the story and building the characters (which French do slowly through several novels usually.

3) Also for the Carrion Throne we had a fully new characters set. For the Ressurection  - French use the old (and forgotten Inquisition strike team from the 90-s). I did liked some of the models a long time ago. But as of now - I do not think that it could be better than Eisenhorn or Carrion Throne.

But, as always we will see very soonish.

John's interview will be posted Friday night/Saturday morning on ep 204 of Combat Phase podcast. I look forward to reading Track of Words' piece as well. :smile.:

Hope you did asked him some 'curious' questions?

Combat Phase podcast Ep 204 - Horusian Wars w/John French 100th BL author interview

We are celebrating our 100th interview with a Black Library author on the show and tonight's guest is none other than the legendary rising star, Mr. John French, to discuss his new series--the Horusian Wars--starting with Resurrection, out today for pre-order! We chat about his other Horusian Wars stories, Dark Compliance for the Heresy crowd, as well as a look of what's to come... :)

time stamp
00:00 - 00:45 - intro
00:45 - 01:33 - interview with John French

More interviews are already in the pipeline (several recorded already) so stay tuned for more great Black Library episodes. 

@johnshfrench
www.blacklibray.com
Combat Phase aims to bring excellent resources  to our listeners around the world. Here are some excellent sources, retailers and more to be sure to check out.

Combat Phase podcast Ep 204 - Horusian Wars w/John French 100th BL author interview

We are celebrating our 100th interview with a Black Library author on the show and tonight's guest is none other than the legendary rising star, Mr. John French, to discuss his new series--the Horusian Wars--starting with Resurrection, out today for pre-order! We chat about his other Horusian Wars stories, Dark Compliance for the Heresy crowd, as well as a look of what's to come... :smile.:

Yes! Can't wait to listen to this, thanks veterannoob :smile.:

Waiting for mine to arrive with the LE Lorgar.

Will you be reviewing the extra short?

Really enjoyed the review btw!

Glad you enjoyed the review, thanks :smile.: Yeah I'll hopefully review the short as well - keep your eyes peeled.

Lastly, I've posted my review with John as well, so between veterannoob and myself we've got you covered for prose and audio :smile.:

http://www.trackofwords.com/2017/07/22/john-french-talks-the-horusian-wars/

Cheers,

NB.

3) Also for the Carrion Throne we had a fully new characters set. For the Ressurection - French use the old (and forgotten Inquisition strike team from the 90-s). I did liked some of the models a long time ago. But as of now - I do not think that it could be better than Eisenhorn or Carrion Throne.

But, as always we will see very soonish.

Not the 90s, but early 2000s! It's very easy to check facts. Inquisitor was released in 2001, and supported to mid-decade. And it is not quite forgetten, given Inq28 and Inquisimunda's popularity. And also the models' cost on eBay.

Here's my review of Resurrection for anyone who fancies taking a look. 

http://www.trackofwords.com/2017/07/21/resurrection-john-french/

Who's been tempted by the beautiful limited edition? It was the extra short story that really swayed it for me...

To be honest I didn't like your review of this book.

I would appreciate if you'd gone more into what the book is about, more about the actual plot .

It's all very vague. On the other hand that seems to be part of the problem with this book, a plot that is either not there, or hard to make out.

The thing from your review that has me very wary of this book is that it seems like nothing is clear in this book, on French's deliberate intention.

Review phrases like:

Covenant represents the mystery of the Inquisition; we see him at a remove, always through the eyes of others, his motivations and thought processes illuminated by his actions but never fully revealed

In amongst the (quite extensive) cast of inquisitors, acolytes and wrong-place-wrong-time unfortunates, you might wonder who the antagonists are. That would be an excellent question, and one that in true John French style remains only partially answered throughout

With Covenant’s plans and intentions concealed even from his acolytes, and various factions within the Inquisition working at apparent cross-purposes, the true direction of the plot is only gradually revealed, and even then it’s clear that this is only the beginning of a much bigger story. Don’t expect a clear explanation of Covenant’s ideological leanings or detailed analysis of the various Inquisitorial factions and their conflicts – 

And especially this quote

It’s a book that requires thought and attention, that hoards its secrets and reveals them only begrudgingly – its characters’ histories, beliefs and motivations are slowly, carefully unravelled, while the true scale of the story is perhaps yet to be fully revealed. It might not be for everyone, especially if you’re hoping for a straightforward depiction of the Inquisition and what ‘the Horusian Wars’ really are

I would read this book precisely and only because of my interest in what the Horusian Wars are and how they unfold.

It seems then that I am not the target audience.

Edited by Taliesin

To be fair, @Never_born's reviews are spolier free by design.  

Have you read their interview with John French?  Maybe that will give you a better feel for the book?  

I'd also recommend reading the short prequel, Absolution of Swords, to maybe get a flavour? 

To be honest I didn't like your review of this book.

I would appreciate if you'd gone more into what the book is about, more about the actual plot .

It's all very vague. On the other hand that seems to be part of the problem with this book, a plot that is either not there, or hard to make out.

The thing from your review that has me very wary of this book is that it seems like nothing is clear in this book, on French's deliberate intention.

Review phrases like:

Covenant represents the mystery of the Inquisition; we see him at a remove, always through the eyes of others, his motivations and thought processes illuminated by his actions but never fully revealed

In amongst the (quite extensive) cast of inquisitors, acolytes and wrong-place-wrong-time unfortunates, you might wonder who the antagonists are. That would be an excellent question, and one that in true John French style remains only partially answered throughout

With Covenant’s plans and intentions concealed even from his acolytes, and various factions within the Inquisition working at apparent cross-purposes, the true direction of the plot is only gradually revealed, and even then it’s clear that this is only the beginning of a much bigger story. Don’t expect a clear explanation of Covenant’s ideological leanings or detailed analysis of the various Inquisitorial factions and their conflicts – 

And especially this quote

It’s a book that requires thought and attention, that hoards its secrets and reveals them only begrudgingly – its characters’ histories, beliefs and motivations are slowly, carefully unravelled, while the true scale of the story is perhaps yet to be fully revealed. It might not be for everyone, especially if you’re hoping for a straightforward depiction of the Inquisition and what ‘the Horusian Wars’ really are

I would read this book precisely and only because of my interest in what the Horusian Wars are and how they unfold.

It seems then that I am not the target audience.

That's fair - this isn't necessarily the sort of book that everyone's going to enjoy, and if you're specifically interested in the backdrop as opposed to the characters, you might be better off waiting until the whole series is done. My gut feeling is that the big picture will resolve over the course of the series...

To be honest I kept the review vague intentionally - it doesn't have the sort of plot that's easy to sum up without giving spoilers, and one of the core tenets of what I try to do with these reviews is to keep things spoiler free. Happy to chat more about the plot away from the review, but in those 500-or-so words I do my best to not reveal too much. Also, and I don't think John would mind me saying this, it was a remarkably tricky book to review.

I wouldn't say that the plot isn't there, or is hard to make out...that should be more a criticism of my review than the novel. What's tricky is that it *does* go some way towards explaining what the Horusian Wars are, but in provides as many questions as it does answers...questions which I'm sure John is going to address as the series continues. That's obviously not going to appeal to everyone, but - in my opinion - I think it's the right decision, as is showing Covenant from other peoples' perspectives. Both those things make for a somewhat more challenging read than some BL books - again not necessarily what everyone will like - but I think they add to the story's integrity.

This is all just my opinion, obviously, but I think that if John had tried to appeal to everyone with this book then it wouldn't have been half the book it is. We've had lots of stories looking at inquisitors like Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Czevak etc...this is something very different. Will that appeal to everyone? Nope. Should that be a surprise, based on things like John's Ahriman series? Also no, I'd say. Is this a book that prompts the reader to think long and hard about the nature of the Inquisition, how inquisitors interact with each other, and what things are like away from the bombastic front lines of 40k? Yeah, absolutely.

I feel like I've rambled a lot there. I hope at least some of that makes sense. I'm glad you commented, though - it's not often I get this sort of feedback, but it's really useful. I'll take another look at the review to see if I could have been any more specific - my gut feeling is that I probably couldn't have, given the novel in question, but it's definitely worth looking at. Thanks :smile.:

NB.

EDIT: hah! I've just seen R_F_D's comment - thanks man :smile.: Good suggestion to read the prequel, too.

Edited by Never_born

Clearly we are all different but based on neverborn's review AND his interview with John French I am very much looking forward to reading this. It sounds challenging and mature (rather than the majority of output from BL).

In the interview I found John French's answer to when the book is set interesting in that it is the contemporary W40k timeline (ie same timeframe as the Dark Imperium stuff that is now coming out) but is not making much/any reference to that (for now anyway). As the lead character is Inquisitor Covenant who is a contemporary of Eisenhorn (from the Inquisitor game) I had wrongly assumed it to be set in the same timeframe as Abnett's books.

I expect to be reading this closely after Chris Wraight's Carrion Throne. Will be interesting to compare.

I expect to be reading this closely after Chris Wraight's Carrion Throne. Will be interesting to compare.

I recommend you check out John and Chris' Twitter feeds for their interactions about their respective Inquisitors.

Will do!

In the interview I found John French's answer to when the book is set interesting in that it is the contemporary W40k timeline (ie same timeframe as the Dark Imperium stuff that is now coming out) but is not making much/any reference to that (for now anyway). As the lead character is Inquisitor Covenant who is a contemporary of Eisenhorn (from the Inquisitor game) I had wrongly assumed it to be set in the same timeframe as Abnett's books.

Good point about Eisenhorn. If I recall correctly, in the Inquisitor rulebook Eisenhorn was portrayed as an older man and a radical, i.e. how he is by the end of Dan's novel series. Anyone remember if there's a date reference at the end of Hereticus?

In the afterword it is stated that 392.M41 is when the world of Hereticus is destroyed by Lord Admiral Old Madorthene.

The last present day chapter of Ravenor Rogue is given 405.M41 (the final chapter flashed back to 404.M41)

Prehelion refers to the Molotch inquiry as to lasting 15 years, so that would put that as being 420.M41 at the earliest.

Pariah is set 486ish. M41 maybe even c.500.M41 - it is a bit difficult to assess searching for words as opposed to reading the whole book but there is a reference to the Yellow King in 450 being over 50 years ago. (chapter 38)

The lesson here is, Emperor-Bless the search function of a Kindle.

Edited by R_F_D