Resurrection: The Horusian Wars

R_F_D

Thanks!  Just flashing through those books makes me want to read them again *sigh*

I think there's potential for Eisenhorn to still be alive, Lord Inquisitor Roken is stated as living for a further 315 years after Herecticus.

Edited by R_F_D

Ok - 280 pages in and I can't say it is an awesome novel. It is good - that's for sure, but awesome/amazing? Nope.

The novel suffers from what made 'Carrion Throne' great - overdescriptiveness. Instead of a suspense for which French is famous for - he use a lot of descriptions etc.

And the main issue so far > the storyline is absolutely HORRIBLY BORING.  There is nothing to pick your curiosity. That's actually the first novel from John that made me bored. It's like John ended up a paragraph or chapter at some peculiar point and you are hyped to read the next, but the next chapter continues the previous descriptiveness of everything - walls, ships, humans, wind etc. And after 280 pages you understand that you was somehow cheated.

Without major spoilers - only 1 MAJOR/STORYDRIVEN EVENT happened in 280 pages. Which leads to the biggest issue of a novel. Antagonists.

Problem is > Talicto and his 'company' are too human. They does not feel like Chaos, like enemy of mankind, like GREAT EVIL. You can't feel for the Covenant. Cause 'you can't see the evil' in Talicto and co. Even after all the shorts and 280 pages of a novel - Covenant seems more like a naive fool and stupid zealot instead of a an Inquisitor. Talicto is more an Inquisitor (in all sense to do what's need to be done).

The main 'evil' is too human, there is nothing dangerous or 'outworld/ethereal' in him. Even through he maddle with the warp - we does not see the 'corrupting' influence of it.  The tools he use for the 'experiment' are TOO HUMAN (warped cultist).

Another issue is - while reading I did not felt that our main protagonists were in any danger at all. Not like with the Eisenhorn - Covenant is not in any danger. I could have expected this but still (I knew from the start that his team will survive anything. Everyone who dies is from the pool of all other characters)...

If that's the first book in the serie - it's not the best start.

But maybe the next 246 pages and the next book will fix the flow of the narrative.

Edited by HeritorA

In the afterword it is stated that 392.M41 is when the world of Hereticus is destroyed by Lord Admiral Old Madorthene.

The last present day chapter of Ravenor Rogue is given 405.M41 (the final chapter flashed back to 404.M41)

Prehelion refers to the Molotch inquiry as to lasting 15 years, so that would put that as being 420.M41 at the earliest.

Pariah is set 486ish. M41 maybe even c.500.M41 - it is a bit difficult to assess searching for words as opposed to reading the whole book but there is a reference to the Yellow King in 450 being over 50 years ago. (chapter 38)

The lesson here is, Emperor-Bless the search function of a Kindle.

KInd of good about Eisenhorn, but 'Ressurrection' is set after/DURING  the Gathering Storm events. The mastering of armies is made for the Crusade against the warp storms and warp rifts emerging in the Caradryan sector.

'I recommend you check out John and Chris' Twitter feeds for their interactions about their respective Inquisitors.'

- as both set in the GS/DI time - there is a big possibility both Inquisitorial teams will meet at some point.

Full spoiler free review.

Deus quem punire vult dementat.

(Whom God wishes to destroy, he first makes mad)

Once again we dwell in the corner of Inquisition. John French, one of the most talented BL authors provided us with the new insight into the dark corners of the far Galaxy and it's most prideful,sinful and opportunistic protectors - Inquisitors. Resurrection follows the new mainstream from GW - the times of change, gathering storm, Noctis Aeterna and everything that follows. Which makes it's own corrections to the narrative of the story.

For the full understanding of the setting, characters and events leading to the 'Resurrection' it is highly recommended that you 'readers' will take your time and read the lead-in shorts, released before the novel appearance. The Blessing of Saints (special story for the LE), The Purity of Ignorance, The Maiden of the Dream, Absolution of swords intended to push you deep into the company psyche and ideals, while providing a first glimpse as to what they would be doing into the main novel.

So let's delve into the abyss. Light spoilers ahead.

Narrative

The first novel in a new (let's hope a long-running) series almost solely focuses on Covenant and his acolytes partway through their hunt for a fellow inquisitor, a radical inquisitor named Talicto. Previous shorts provide some glimpses on the steps that needed to be taken to apprehend the 'heretic'. Which eventually leads to a truly unique and rare gathering of Inquisition. A Conclave which should provide Covenant with an opportunity to denounce Talicto for his sins and transgressions. But as the BL novel blurp says: 'with so many inquisitors gathered in one place, events inevitably don’t go quite to plan'.

All that is happening during the time of 'darkness, despair and chaos ascendant'. With the warp storms wracking the Imperium, Chaos in ascendancy, and things becoming more and more fractured and under pressure - in such a big galaxy, you still can be focused on some focal events and locations. It's apocalypse tomorrow. And John used it in full. In recent interviews he talked a lot about his investigation into the threats to civilization, terrorist attacks, biochemical weapons etc. Add to that a grandeur view into the churning wheels of the Inquisition circles with a good explanation to the inquisition ideologies clubs. Horusians and Thorians due to being the main players in the novel - take the main stage for the drama.

And thus a tale of suspense, investigation and running out of time plays out.

From the moment the Conclave is broken, attacked and almost totally purged the story start running with a feel of despair, loneliness and the birthmarks of something horrible to happen.

As a usual master of suspense - and John French is truly a wonderful 'pupil' of Lovecraft - the story immerse you into the depths of abyss. With terror, despair, chaos and death mixed and built into a shrine to the universe, nobody of us will want to live in.

Each story of John contain even a little glimpse of depression and wrong choices, this one is not an exclusion to the rule. And French do this masterfully. By the end of Resurrection you will be glad that you live on this shining and lovely planet. And that you are not a small cog in the churning wheel of the grimdark W40/41K.

The other part of the storyline which makes it interesting is the beginning of your reader love with the new bunch of characters. They are plunged into a cauldron of ideologies, hidden truths, unexpected discoveries and forsaken loyalties.

As the end result - it all gave you the first place on a scene of a burning Galaxy.

That doesn't mean that the narrative is without issues and tempo mistakes. But I will explain them a little bit later.

Characters

His 'new' old characters, which are the main positive points of the novel were recreated accordingly to the new times with a small addition of the old lore. First of all mister Covenant and co were introduced to the W40K a long time ago. If I'm not mistaken - it was 2000 or 2001 then the Inquisitor rulebook was released. Thus Covenant and co had already been built up to some expectations a long time ago.

New/old Covenant himself is not shown directly as a main story driver. Narrative is intentionally not explained through the first person views (Like the story of Eisenhorn). Through the eyes of others we see his character being built up. Covenant represents a mystery. Mystery for the universe, strange case for the Inquisition and human soul in the grimdark setting.

Thus we saw him by his acolytes – Josef, Koleg, Von Castellans scions (Cleander and Viola) even amazon-woman Sororita Severita (you all know I despise manlike musculine women characters).

Each of them are not what you would expect. For example - preacher Josef is more human than von Castellans and every other character. And absolutely different human being to the one you expect from the priest. You would have expected a zealot, fanatic and idolator - all in one. Instead you have a man who truly believe, but ready to accept others failings and views. And who truly can help with the word or praise.

And also Covenant is a psyker. It's nothing new - cause if you will compare other books about the W40K Inquisition from BL (Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Carrion Throne, now Resurrection) - you will see that almost all of the main protagonists/antagonists are psykers of different levels. Here - psykers are of ‘a lower order’(as French said himself). They have chunks of different powers and abilities – but much more grounded to the real universe. Again, as John said himself: 'Covenant has a bit of light telepathy, if you like, some telekinesis and some other functional and reasonably controlled powers, but there’s nothing spectacular there. He’s not going to do an Ahriman and destroy an entire room full of Chaos Space Marines in the space of time it takes for his heart to beat once'. And that's is good - cause after the 'epic' storytelling of the GS/Dark Imperium we need 'grounded' stuff.

Likewise Mylasa, who’s kind of his pet telepath and whose job is to scoop out people’s minds and perform psychic interrogations – that’s all she does. She doesn’t have any of the other bells and whistles, she’s not going to be throwing lightning around, as she’s actually physically very weak.

But that doesn't make her a scary psyker and death incarnate at all. She is also one of the most human characters ever.

Even secondary characters and main 'antagonists' feel like a part of a 'family'. Created with love and attention to details.

Also he covers one additional theme in all it's glory and horror. He is probably one of the rare BL authors who outstandingly show the emergence of a dormant psyker into the W40K world.

That one scene on the 'Valour of Flame' was not simply brilliantly done it gave me the greatest cosmic horror/desolate ships/despair in vacuum vibe since the times I watched 'Beyond Horizon' movie a long time ago.

Cons and issues

Even through Resurrection is a very good book, it has issues. Any kind of reader will eventually see them while reading.

One of the top ones is over-descriptiveness of everything. Which is kind of strange, cause it's predecessor about Inquisition by Chris Wraight 'Carrion Throne' was awesome exactly due to the total descriptiveness on everything. That gave real soul to Terra. But here John describe everything - from a bullet to a wall to ship to planet etc. Instead of additional layer of suspense for which French is famous for - he use a lot of descriptions, which are not needed at all. Partly it is done to cover the next issue, which is the more prominent one.

By describing everything John eat pages that should have been given to a fluent building of a plotline. Which in 'general', through good - is 'almost' boring.

I do not agree with my review colleague 'track of words' that Resurrection 'might not be for everyone, especially if you’re hoping for a straightforward depiction of the Inquisition and what ‘the Horusian Wars’ really are…but if you’re willing to put the effort in then you’ll be rewarded with something quite special. Just be prepared to be patient while you wait for the next installment.'

Issue is not that it's not a straightforward depiction of the Inquisition yada yada. Point is the story progression, where it stands in the end; depiction of events (or mainly the absence of events) and not resolved build up of suspense is what made story 'almost' boring.

And that partly due to the Antagonists. Problem is > Talicto and his 'company' are too human. 'New' enemy in the second part of the book - is too human. They does not feel like Chaos, like enemy of mankind, like GREAT EVIL. The main 'evil' is too human, there is nothing dangerous or 'outworld/ethereal' in him. Even through he maddles with the warp - we does not see the truly 'corrupting' influence of it. It's like a doctor who used the wrong tools and patient died. Problem was in the tools and partly with the doctor himself. Thus, you can't truly feel for the Covenant. Cause 'you can't see the evil' in Talicto and co. If you will read 300 pages (ebook) and stop at that point - you will not have 'feelings' and 'worries' for the Covenant (whom you will see simply as a naive youth). To fully comprehend the structure and antagonists you need a full novel to finish.

And all the while you will not feel that our main protagonists were in any danger at all. You could almost 'predict' that Covenant and team is plot armored.

Score

John French has written a really good and amazing book. In general. It is truly complex, structured, built up to the hype, with the tone and grimdark of W40K mixed with Lovecraft.

For the insight view on the Inquisitorial ideology (thorians and horusians in particular), character's histories and beliefs, great depiction for the grim dark of GS/Noctis Aeterna, question of psykers place in the universe and their emergence, awesome 'suspense' and lovecraftian vibe - I give Resurrection 4 out of 5 stars.

Hope it will be a great serie, with a lot of incoming storylines, events and novels for us to read.

After all 'By ignorance we mistake, and by mistakes we learn.'

I mean, is there some mandate that Chaos, or even just antagonists in general, need to be unambiguously evil?

Because literally all my favorite stories don't have villains like that.

I mean, is there some mandate that Chaos, or even just antagonists in general, need to be unambiguously evil?

I will try to extrapolate.

There are no mandates to Chaos. Each author depict it in his own unique way (with general lore rules like 4 Chaos powers etc.). We all know that BL books (especially with the Inquistion setting) often goes into the grey area between good and pure evil.

The point is - antagonists and 'main enemy' here is so beyond the grey range you could almost count them as good. And at the same time Covenant in his own naive thorian belief seems more evil than the enemy. THrough at the sam time John show him in total 'grey'.

Novel suffers from the fact that 'evil' vs 'good' is too mutated here. And the main point  - while reading you don't feel to cheer or worry about characters - because both sides are in the wrong.

Yes, as I mentioned you get the expected level of 'chaos'/suspense from John (he is a master in that), but it's not transition fluently to the climax. Plus it's all so 'small' - you can't feel that even if the 'enemy' succeds something truly MAJOR happen in the universe.

Well I don't know how to describe it better.

From the different angle - while reading books I could feel then book has a soul. It's always unique and you could almost 'touch' it. With 'RESURRECTION' I didn't find it.

Don't get me wrong - it is not a bad book, far from it - it is a good book (4 out of 5). But it is not amazing or awesome as I would have expected.

Plus, I don't feel for the Covenant. After Gaunt Ghosts, Loken stories, Eisenhorn, Ahriman etc. I wanted to read more. I needed to read more. Here it was like 'ok. that is the end. ok now I need to go to a work'.

I tried my best to explain it - hope you would be able to understand me.

There is a great quote from Mkoll in Armour of Contempt (I think) about Mkvenner's interpretation about Chaos which I think is something along those lines.

In other news, my LE arrived this morning and it is simply breath taking.  I can't think of a better produced LE by BL.  I would love to know who designs them.

There is a great quote from Mkoll in Armour of Contempt (I think) about Mkvenner's interpretation about Chaos which I think is something along those lines.

In other news, my LE arrived this morning and it is simply breath taking.  I can't think of a better produced LE by BL.  I would love to know who designs them.

How about the upcoming 'The Emperor Might'? It seems even more 'breathtaking' :)

HeritorA, just so you know I have chosen to ignore your posts so probably best saving your pixels for someone else.  

what a lovely dialog we have.

What exactly you did not like this time?

I hurt your tender feelings cause saw some flaws in 'Resurrection', or you don't think that 'The Emperor's Legion' LE is looking more breathtaking than the LE you had?

HeritorA, just so you know I have chosen to ignore your posts so probably best saving your pixels for someone else.  

what a lovely dialog we have.

What exactly you did not like this time?

I hurt your tender feelings cause saw some flaws in 'Resurrection', or you don't think that 'The Emperor's Legion' LE is looking more breathtaking than the LE you had?

Your post has exactly proven my decision to ignore your comments.  Whilst I disagree with the vast majority of your views, I ultimately respect your right to them.  Indeed, you have made, on a very rare occasion, a point I have agreed with.  

What I fundamentally disagree with is, what I have considered to be, the caustic nature of the majority of your posts, your contempt for other peoples' points of view and your seeming desire to drown out others to be the definitive authority on this website.  Again, you are perfectly entitled to carry on this behaviour; I for one, however, do not wish to engage with you further.  I would ask that you respect that.

Thanks.

I will try to extrapolate.

There are no mandates to Chaos. Each author depict it in his own unique way (with general lore rules like 4 Chaos powers etc.). We all know that BL books (especially with the Inquistion setting) often goes into the grey area between good and pure evil.

The point is - antagonists and 'main enemy' here is so beyond the grey range you could almost count them as good. And at the same time Covenant in his own naive thorian belief seems more evil than the enemy. THrough at the sam time John show him in total 'grey'.

Novel suffers from the fact that 'evil' vs 'good' is too mutated here. And the main point  - while reading you don't feel to cheer or worry about characters - because both sides are in the wrong.

Yes, as I mentioned you get the expected level of 'chaos'/suspense from John (he is a master in that), but it's not transition fluently to the climax. Plus it's all so 'small' - you can't feel that even if the 'enemy' succeds something truly MAJOR happen in the universe.

Well I don't know how to describe it better.

From the different angle - while reading books I could feel then book has a soul. It's always unique and you could almost 'touch' it. With 'RESURRECTION' I didn't find it.

Don't get me wrong - it is not a bad book, far from it - it is a good book (4 out of 5). But it is not amazing or awesome as I would have expected.

Plus, I don't feel for the Covenant. After Gaunt Ghosts, Loken stories, Eisenhorn, Ahriman etc. I wanted to read more. I needed to read more. Here it was like 'ok. that is the end. ok now I need to go to a work'.

I tried my best to explain it - hope you would be able to understand me.

I mean, literally all the points(Minus how major the story is to the universe, which i'm neutral towards with neither a preference for big changes or no changes as long as it gives insight into the setting.) are pluses in my book, rather then negatives. If my psyche studies taught me anything it was that people doing bad things without good reason is more of a rarity then you'd expect.

'If my psyche studies taught me anything it was that people doing bad things without good reason is more of a rarity then you'd expect.'

- definitely not the case for the countries I lived in and countries I visited. And that's first person experience.

I did saw a lot of evil for the reason of being evil - so I kind of can't agree with you on that.

On the other hand - 'are pluses in my book, rather then negatives'. That's why I always told everyone that to have an opinion you need to read every book for yourself.

Ok, so I just finished this book and had a few questions. 

1. Inquisitor Lord wearing termie armour - how does that work? Don't you need to have a black carapace to interface with the armour so that you can use it properly? 

2. Can somebody explain what happened at the end with the latent alpha+ psyker? She was referred to as being "one of them"...what exactly is "one of them"? 

how does that work? Don't you need to have a black carapace to interface with the armour so that you can use it properly? 

Since Terminator Armour has been an option for Ordo Malleus Inquisitors on the tabletop for a while now the answer to that question is clearly "no".  

You don't actually need a black carapace for power armour (see Sisters, Inquisitors, SotDA grenadiers, etc), so it follows logically that one is not required for Terminator armour.

Ok, so I just finished this book and had a few questions. 

1. Inquisitor Lord wearing termie armour - how does that work? Don't you need to have a black carapace to interface with the armour so that you can use it properly? 

2. Can somebody explain what happened at the end with the latent alpha+ psyker? She was referred to as being "one of them"...what exactly is "one of them"? 

On the first Alecto already explained an he is right.

On the second - she died. Dispersed into atoms and totally annihilated with nothing left even of a soul shard for the warp. One of them meant one of the newly emergent latent psykers after the events of the Gathering Storm.

In regards to the Black Carapace and Terminator Armor, recall that the difference between interfacing with armor via the BC and wearing a suit is essentially one of neurological integration. A full-fledged Space Marine with the Black Carapace is for all intents and purposes one with his armor; when he lifts his arm the servos and fiber bundles that actuate the suit's arm components respond to the brain signal in the same way that his physiology does.

In contrast, somebody wearing a suit of power armor without the Black Carapace would be reliant on it responding to his or her physical movements - eg. they lift their arm, and the movement triggers sensors/gyros that signal the servos and actuators to move the corresponding components.

It would be like the difference between moving a mouse icon on a screen via the physical hardware and clicking on icons to make selections, and having a direct connection between your brain and the computer to make selections.

If anything, Terminator Armor may be less reliant on a Black Carapace for peak operator efficiency: there's been the idea kicked around in background material that Terminator Armor was adapted from extreme-environment exo-suits meant for working inside operational plasma reactors. If that's true, that means it's likely it was intended for workers and laborers, not designed from the ground up as an integrated post-human super-soldier system.

Thanks for the responses. I clearly haven't yet got round to the fluff on newly emergent latent psykers after the events of the Gathering Storm. Is that covered in Dark Imperium?

Regarding Termie armour, I used to have one of the inquisitor in termie armour models, so knew it existed in fluff. I suppose the issue was that a standard size human wouldn't be big enough to fit in Astartes-issued termie armour, so the solution must be a scaled-down, non-carapace interface dependent suit. 

Thanks for the responses. I clearly haven't yet got round to the fluff on newly emergent latent psykers after the events of the Gathering Storm. Is that covered in Dark Imperium?

Regarding Termie armour, I used to have one of the inquisitor in termie armour models, so knew it existed in fluff. I suppose the issue was that a standard size human wouldn't be big enough to fit in Astartes-issued termie armour, so the solution must be a scaled-down, non-carapace interface dependent suit. 

It is due to the Warp storms/rifts etc. opening everywhere. It is not particularly covered anywhere yet - except for 1 sentence in the fluff books. The lore for the Dark Imperium is too young and there are simply not enough of it.

AS for the tactical dr. armor I was never a fan of Inquisitors posing as SM and intimidating figures. The real inquisitors do not need Termi armor to defend themselves or scary others with their power. The most 'scariest' Inquisitors in the Galaxy will give you chills just smiling/looking at you ;)

I got really bloody annoyed seeing the female, not exactly tallest, Inquisitor in the Titan Comics 40k series don a terminator suit. Bloody hell did that kill my interest in the series, that's how wrong they got the anatomy.

Somebody even did mockups:

http://i.imgur.com/DMqZahP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/N7ykElp.jpg

DarkChaplain

true about the 'I got really bloody annoyed seeing the female, not exactly tallest, Inquisitor in the Titan Comics 40k series don a terminator suit. Bloody hell did that kill my interest in the series, that's how wrong they got the anatomy.'

Decision to draw her in that armour to show her prowess totally failed here.

I got really bloody annoyed seeing the female, not exactly tallest, Inquisitor in the Titan Comics 40k series don a terminator suit. Bloody hell did that kill my interest in the series, that's how wrong they got the anatomy.

This so much is the difficulty I have with an inquisitor lord (i.e. normal, non-Astartes sized human) wearing Termie armour. It gets even more daft when you consider that Termie armour has all sorts of fancy targeting and 360 degree scanning systems that requires not just a neural interface but also advanced mental faculties to operate.

Anyway...

It is due to the Warp storms/rifts etc. opening everywhere. It is not particularly covered anywhere yet - except for 1 sentence in the fluff books. The lore for the Dark Imperium is too young and there are simply not enough of it.

AS for the tactical dr. armor I was never a fan of Inquisitors posing as SM and intimidating figures. The real inquisitors do not need Termi armor to defend themselves or scary others with their power. The most 'scariest' Inquisitors in the Galaxy will give you chills just smiling/looking at you :wink:

I appreciate the lore for the Dark Imperium is in its infancy, but it seems like what appears to be a quite significant new plot mechanic (i.e. apparently normal people all of a sudden becoming alpha+ level psykers) could use with a bit more than just a sentence / short paragraph at this stage. I appreciate exposition can be somewhat clumsy, but as a reader I really felt like I was missing something big here.

This so much is the difficulty I have with an inquisitor lord (i.e. normal, non-Astartes sized human) wearing Termie armour. It gets even more daft when you consider that Termie armour has all sorts of fancy targeting and 360 degree scanning systems that requires not just a neural interface but also advanced mental faculties to operate.

Anyway...

AS for the tactical dr. armor I was never a fan of Inquisitors posing as SM and intimidating figures. The real inquisitors do not need Termi armor to defend themselves or scary others with their power. The most 'scariest' Inquisitors in the Galaxy will give you chills just smiling/looking at you :wink:

I appreciate the lore for the Dark Imperium is in its infancy, but it seems like what appears to be a quite significant new plot mechanic (i.e. apparently normal people all of a sudden becoming alpha+ level psykers) could use with a bit more than just a sentence / short paragraph at this stage. I appreciate exposition can be somewhat clumsy, but as a reader I really felt like I was missing something big here.

Not only the latent psykers emerge everywhere. New astropatic saints and astronomicon angels are born.

(For example we have 'almost' the same case in 'Shroud of Night'. If you will read it - you will see what I mean).

As for the 'could use with a bit more than just a sentence / short paragraph at this stage.' - I don't like it at all. But having only 3 books so far in the setting, they can't cover all. It's like with the AoS books - we need to wait for a long time.

The new nearest answers would be coming in 'Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion' coming this September