Ideas for a Tau "close combat" suit

depthcharge12

Hey fellow frater, I've seen a lot of back and forth on what should constitute an XV8/9/etc close combat unit. While Tau are very diametrically opposed to close combat doctrine, they are not above pragmatism and adaptation. I think about the humorous DoW commander quote: "The first rule of unarmed combat is...DON'T BE UNARMED!" :D

I understand many people like the idea of a fusion blade or onager "donkey punch" gauntlet, but I think there might be a better solution to close combat that is savvy with the Tau way of war.

I believe that the Tau have attempted at a close fire support role with their new XV9 and R'varna suits - both of which are very controversial! So here's what I would propose to walk down both aisles:

Tau XV11 "Urchin" suit

-(keeps with aquatic theme, but very fitting ;))

WS4+ W4 A3

Wargear:

- Two Flechette cannons

- Nova wave discharger

- photon casters

Flechette cannon:

An oversized version of the tried and true pods mounted on vehicles. This cannon has clusters of flechettes which, when fired en masse, shreds though armor and joints.

Type: Pistol 6 Range: 12" S4 AP0 D1 Rolls of a 6 to Wound are resolved at AP-4

Nova Wave discharger:

Learning from their experience with horde organisms like the Tyranids and Orks and their recent success with the R'varna, Dal'yth sept leaders have adapted the XV11 to detonate a wave that will fry neurons and delicate circuitry in a circle around it.

Type: Melee Range: Melee S- AP- D- This weapon may be used in the fight phase instead of attacking normally. This weapon automatically hits all models (friend or foe) within 2" of the XV11 and causes a mortal wound on a 2+. On a roll of a 1, the XV11 suffers a mortal wound and cannot fight in the current fight phase.

Photon casters:

Units charging an XV11 must reduce their charge distance by 2"

What do you guys think? Is the Nova ability overpowered or at a sweet spot? I meant this suit to be a cross between a R'varna and an XV9 hazard suit; being suitably prickly when touched I think the name Urchin is fitting :devil:

I don't know if you are aware but XV11 would mean that it is an extremely light suit and still in development (first 1 is the weightclass which would be similar to old Stealthsuits and the second 1 means it's still in development). ;)

I'd probably go with XV41 or XV49 instead. 4 means it's on the level of the Vanguard Void Suit (XV46; which never had rules afaik) and is between the newer Stealthsuits and the Crisis Suits. 1 for being in development or 9 for being designed for shock assault/close range firefights.

Your wargear is even pretty similar to the one the XV46 is supposed to have...who is btw. designed to fight on close quarters in things like space hulks. Namely photon grenades and a close ranged gun with lots of shots (Flechette cannon instead of Burst cannons or Flamer).

Things the XV46 is supposed to have as well would be electroshocks, grav repulsors and a smart ejection system (which wouldn't need any rules on the tabletop obviously).

To your wargear in detail:

The pistol sounds fine to me

The melee weapon is too strong! You'd kill Marines like flies. Give it S AP D values or make the mortal wounds on 5+ if you want to keep them.

Photon Casters are great but since that's not exactly a suit that actually tries to avoid melee I'd maybe go with something different. A system that allows it to use actual Photon grenades even in melee, so you can make it harder for him to hit in your turn even if you are locked in combat.

You didn't lose a word about Support Systems. I'd give it one hardpoint for a Support System. So it could either get some ATS or Shield Gen or Stim Injector or whatever. If it could take ATS it would make even more sense to give the weapon a proper statline (I mean, the suit even has WS4+ and A3 in its profile which are pretty much useless with that kind of weapon you gave him)

Some good thoughts here. Like I said, I don't really see the Tau using actual close combat weapons...I want to say I've heard them being genetically slower and less martial (in the close combat mindset), hence why they developed dependency on long range combat. Short ranged weapons being able to be fired in close combat or on the charge would be the name of the game.

I invision Crisis suits with short range pulse arrays (pistols) and charged fists. Hits like a mule, and can fire both in and out of combat. Add in an energy shield and you have close combatant, with no new tech, just existing tech that's not super rare.

SJ

Edited by jeffersonian000

The problem with pistols is that you can shoot them only in your turn and no opponent in their right mind would stay in melee with them if he can't easily win it so it's a purely defensive mechanic.

Same "problem" Blood Angels have with their Inferno-Pistols.

I would do something like this

Primary Weapon

Pulse Burst Cannon:

Range       S        ap    assualt 2

5"              8        -2    

5-10"         7        -1

10-15"       6         0

has photon grenade drone, can upgrade to flame thrower drone

has a tide wall projector drone

projects a shield wall that creates a 6" wall, has hp and can be taken down, prevents shooting through it and people moving through it

Edited by Triszin

Flamer Drones and a weapon with that profile on a unit that can infiltrate and has a -1 to-hit modifier? Yes please! Such a unit would find their way in all my lists easily. :biggrin.:

I wouldnt do infiltrate, but I'd do some specialized jump jet on it that lets it move like a jump jet on marines, but also give it the option for emergncy strafe, to allow it to move 2d6" in a straight line either right or left to evade melee if successful