Painting a crusading force.

Hi guys. 

Just got finished reading Dark Imperium, and that has inspired me. Not to start an ultramarines force or to rush into Building Primaris but the Image of this Astartes force drawn together from a multitude of chapters in a common goal of purging chaos out of the system. you can see where I'm going here.

I shall admit that i do get board of painting the same armor plates the same way over and over; three tactical squads and i'm sick of the dark angels brand of green. so i thought about painting that devastator squad in a yellow pattern, and thus inspiration reared it's ugly head.

This thread is less about the logistics of an army of differing schemes but rather why I have never really seen this and will it look like a complete mess when put on the table?

I was planning on making Dark angels so the idea of desperate units of the Unforgiven making it's way to a first founding company is not outside the question. But would completely disconnecting colour scheme be okay in this regard or would they need something other than basing to tie it all together? I was thinking their left shoulders all bearing the dark angels green and insignia.

This is all unknown and I haven't seen an example on this done at all let alone right.

Time ago, there was a thing called Campaign Badges. There you could have a Crusade Badge for your force unifying your squads from different chapters. It usually was painted on the right shin guard of those members participating in the joint campaign.

Do it :tu:

I did it way back in 2nd Ed. I chose different elements of the list for each factions. So my HQ and Tacticals were Dark Angels, my Fast Attack troops were Blood Angels, and Fast Attack vehicles were White Scars. I also had some Wolves to swap out for the Blood Angels if I felt like a change. I never got around to painting my Heavy Support, but they were to be Fists.

Cheers,

Jono

Iirc, there's an Ultramarines successor who basically acts as substitute Ultras when their companies are under strength. There's no reason that the Unforgiven couldn't do the same thing. A unifying shoulder pad or campaign marking should work perfectly to tie it all together, so I say go for it.

hey guys, thanks for the info.

To be honest, I'm surprised i haven't really heard of campaign badges until now.

That being said, im going to paint a half-pattern in the right grieve to show a until from the table top, I'm going to experiment tomorrow as to the exact colors but im leaning towards red and yellow. eventually I will put transfers but i need to horde some that's of the right size and pattern.

But once I start I will put thread together.

...now I need a name for the crusade...