Swapping Dreadnoughts (Fluff)

Just had a thought, with the new Dreadnought about to wage war (via the new shiny codex).

Is it possible for a "marine" to change Dreadnought chassis? I always thought that the thing that the marine couldn't change was the sarcophagus, which makes sense kinda they get taken out they die.

But more dreadnoughts seem to have a thing of removable sarcophagi to take the marine out and put him to sleep before putting him back to fight again.

If this is the case then surely they could start putting legendary heroes who are in old Dreadnought bodies into the new Redepmtor dreadnought so they can mess things up even more so?

If I recall in the first Horus Heresy book, they have a picture of a loyalist world eaters Dreadnought who was originally interned inside a Lucifer pattern and later transferred into a Contemptor dreadnought. With the loss of technical knowledge such a conversion might be rarer in the modern 40k. 

I don’t see a problem with a sarcophagus changing its chassis, but I’d rather not put a battle brother I value into a Redemptor or Leviathan. Even if he’d get extra wounds for the duration of a battle on the board.