How are you arming Characters in 8th?

jaxom

I used to default to powerfists for Company Commanders, Platoon Commanders, and Commissars because most things I was fighting had higher initiative. With striking last gone, and a minus to hit instead, power axes and mauls are more attractive. Does anyone have advice or stories to share about one versus the other?

Mauls are probably most applicable general weapon, since S5 lets you wound almost all infantry you come across on a 3+.  Armor is variable and some stuff has invulnerable saves, so AP is not quite as valuable.  However I do like axes as well (although they a point more expensive :P).  My front line troops like engineers and grenadiers all have axes and mauls, most of my commissars and Sgts have power swords because that's what they came with.  Power swords are nice enough too.  At 4 points per model, it's like why not.

I also am adding a lot more pistols than I used to.  Plasma pistols are cheap and great for front-line units, and even hotshot laspistols are often a solid buy for 1 point.  Essentially you should never ever ever have an army list that's like 1997/2000 like we used to, there is always something cheap you can add.

Being constrained to my Mordian load outs its mainly chainswords, las & bolt pistols, the odd power sword and power fists on my Lord Commissars.

PFs on LCs are amazing though your usually hitting and wounding on 3s with at least 3 attacks. For fun I making him my WL with +1A and have a priest nearby for an additional +1A. :D

It is nice seeing a power sword only be 4pts for us these days.

Yeah, since the massive points drop I've started running Power Swords and Plasma Pistols a bit lately. All the power weapons seem to have their place as well, and I can finally model Sergeants with cool weapons without having to start every game with, "my Sergeants and Characters just have Laspistol/Chainsword because I'm not spending a Plasma Gun's cost on a Plasma Pistol."

The drastic reduction in cost for wargear has me putting it on characters again rather than running them with merely a laspistol and chainsword. I can definitely see the attraction of axes with the new rules, but aesthetically they are just not pleasing to me or fitting with my vision of my Guard. So power swords and power fists it is for me, plus for the first time ever I am bringing plasma pistols. Seems like in the fluff high ranking officers almost always have plasma pistols.

I've been equiping my commanders, commissars, platoon commanders with power fists. Not all of them but a few. The high strength and - to save with the damage easily makes up for the -1 to hit. Sergeants tend to get bolter for my fire support squads, and a bolt pistol and chainsword for the front line squads. I will be modelling up a few sergeants with plasma pistol for some added fire power.

Power fist  and plasma pistol on THE commander. Chainsword and plasma pistols on most front line officers. Rear line officers come with what they come with.

Does anyone actually use platoon leaders?

Yep Platoon commanders are cheap order givers that can be placed near a squad about to be charged, allowing for heroic intervention. Suddenly you get 3 extra attacks that can't be targeted and it's no loss when he falls back. Super helpful i find.

Platoon Commanders are actually really good! I only realised that in my last game. They have 3 wounds and a 5++!

I run them alongside my mobile (advancing) infantry squads with a power sword,while the Company Commander hangs back with the static gunline.

My gaming group seems to be primarily using PL, so it's dealer's choice for us, and I choose axes. 

The -1 to hit gets rather frustrating. I'd rather not bother trying to use a S6 fist to attempt to punch a Trukk. But I will take the S4 /-2AP to get a better chance at a parting blow on my way out.  "Duty unto Death!"

Plas Pistol, slam dunk.

Edited by Die4Emprah

I'm arming Iron Hand Straken with his iron hands, that guy is a monster in combat. 

But more on topic,  after being shocked by the close combat carnage he caused in my last game, single iron-handedly slaughtering a unit of genestealers, a genestealer patriarch and some nurgle character after his guardsmen died to a man around him, I'm going to re arm all my sergeants with power mauls and run them with Straken and a priest.  Everyone tries to get into melee with Guard anyway, so you might as well be ready for it. 

Edit:  This is where you get power mauls that are properly scaled to Guardsmen:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/WARHAMMER-40K-BITS-ADEPTUS-MECHANICUS-SKITARII-ARC-MAUL-TASER-GOAD-POWERSWORD-/311417615564?hash=item4881efb4cc:g:CD0AAOSwA3dYkpYW

Edited by Otto von Bludd

The problem with Straken is your troops need to be Catachans to benefit. Whereas in previous codices GW actively encouraged us to model our own "counts-as" versions of special characters for our regiments they seem to want the opposite now. And it's seems gamist to call my red tuniced and pith helmeted troops or my feldgrau trench coat wearing troops "Catachans"

I agree with this. I thought about painting a few differently and calling them Catachan, but it seems super lame to do so. I think I will insist on Catachan models, because the rules even say you can't replace [Regiment] with "Ultramarines" or "Tempestus" etc.